1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Making a HWY-1 shiny

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by JurassicCactus, Nov 20, 2012.

1. JurassicCactus

JurassicCactus Tele-Meister

The best way to go about making that satin finnish shine a little ? It seems from playing it the oils from your skin do a good job of it, how to do it a more efficient way?

2. wallis222

wallis222 Tele-Afflicted

This stuff: http://www.virtuosopolish.com/page4.php

The guys on mylespaul.com love it. I've seen plenty of the 50s and 60s Tribute LPs that ended up with a really nice shine after using this stuff. Not a full on glossy nitro finish, but that perfect aged shiny nitro look.

3. PeterVV

PeterVV Tele-Afflicted

Any automotive polish will do, just remember they are slightly abrasive, so the harder you polish the more of the matt layer you remove. You can even add a layer of wax afterwards to protect the shine!. Worked for me.

4. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

+1

This is the best you can use. I used it on my VOS R8 Les Paul and it make it look perfect.

Get both the cleaner and polish.

5. Terry O'Malley

Terry O'Malley Tele-Holic

Only a clear coat will do the trick properly. One option could be to sell the hwy 1 body and replace it with a body with a

6. StuH

StuH Friend of Leo's

The FAQ for that Viruoso stuff says it is not recommended on a satin finish.

7. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Friend of Leo's

Only if you want to keep the satin finish.

8. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

Yep it will make a satin finish semi-gloss.

I have used a bunch of different guitar and other polish products the Dunlop Megulars Maerin Gibson car wax pure carnuba.

Nothing has worked as good as the Virtuoso for me.

9. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Poster Extraordinaire

Depends on how shiny you want it. You could wet sand and then polish what is already there if you want to keep the ultra-thin, but not incredibly deep and shiny look and feel. You can get a very respectable gloss this way. But if you want it to be super shiny and deep, like a brand new gloss finished guitar, I'd rough it up a bit with some fine-grained sandpaper (maybe 1200 or 1500 dry then wet). Then I'd spray it with a can or two of Deft, Minwax, or ReRanch nitrocellulose lacquer, let it dry for a week or two, and then do a really nice progressive polish job on it.

A polishing progression that has worked well for me has been 1000/1200 dry (lightly and slowly, taking care to constantly clean the clogs out of the paper and/or replace it), 1000/1200 wet, 2000 wet, 3200/4000 wet, all by hand with sanding blocks. I use a hard block for the front, back, and neck area, a soft block for the sides, and a single curled-over finger for the rounded edges. Then I use a buffer to apply red polish, then white polish. I clean the polish off with a mild cleaning chemical, like diluted rubbing alcohol or naptha (test first). Then a final polish with something like Gibson or Martin lacquer polish.

When wet sanding, let your sandpaper soak overnight (or longer) in the water (or chemical) before using it. I use cold water, but others use chemicals like naptha or mineral spirits.

10. JurassicCactus

I think how sweat/ body oil makes it as shiny as I like. I have no wood working abilities so keeping it simple as possible is what I'm looking for. I think the virtuoso wax is what ill try. Or find a way to rub sweat and body oil all over it ... Hahaha

11. Stuco

Stuco Poster Extraordinaire

I've buffed out a lot of satin finished guitars. It's the elbow grease (or buffer, note: buffers can ruin your finish if you don't know what you're doing) that gets the job done. You need a mild abrasive. I've used turtle wax brand compounds (not wax), diluted toothpaste, meguiars scratch x and other products and they all work just fine. Meguiars scratch x is the best I've tried. Cut up a t-shirt into a bunch of squares and focus on one section at a time. Once the entire body is shining go over it again. This will blend everything and get rid of any not so glossy areas. I've found that nitro is easier to polish so you are in luck in that regard. Plan to spend 2 hours + buffing if doing this by hand. After buffing them, some people add an extra couple of nitro clear coats to the hwy 1 bodies for added protection. You will need to wait a month for that to cure if you go that route, and then buff the clear out.

12. JurassicCactus

This is more my speed

13. Rolling Estonian

Rolling Estonian Friend of Leo's

This may sound crazy but you could just play it. I've had my HW1 for over 3 years now and it's showing some buffed wear...... Now if I could just figure out the baby bottom pale neck.....

M

14. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

I had a Highway One Tele a few years back, satin red. I hand buffed it using some 3M Finesse It II, followed by some Meguiars Scratch X.
    It shined up real nice, not exactly the same as a normal non satin painted Fender but still it turned out very nice.

I should have taken some before and after pics.
    I know several guys that have buffed out their Highway One Tele and Strats.

15. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

HOW shiny do you want it?

That's the key.

I think the whole idea is to get a nice soft glow, not to go too nuts over it.

Obviously, if you like a really shockingly glossy finish, you don't start with the Highway.

I just like to work on it with some polishing compound.

Oh, and by the way. The gloss tends to fade a little. You can go back and hit it again, approach the right amount of gloss in individual steps.

16. Pepi

Pepi Tele-Afflicted

I agree. Love the used look. I noticed my control plate on my Tele is getting tarnished. I love it :lol:

17. Stuco

Stuco Poster Extraordinaire

That will just make it satin with shiny spots.

18. Jack FFR1846

Jack FFR1846 Tele-Afflicted

Something to be aware of. Satin finishes sometimes are not as well prep'd underneath. I had a satin finished guitar that was simply polished by my rubbing when playing. The finish got naturally polished and had a lot of visible sanding marks once shiny. That leads me to believe that you might indeed have to sand first to get a good flat finish. Your mileage may vary, depending on how your particular guitar was prepped.

19. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Yup.

I have two of those Wine Transparent Highways. The one was very pebbly, the other was fairly smooth. I sanded the one body back with 800/1000/1200 grit, etc. (and I still missed some of the orange peel) while the other received only polishing compounds and looks better.

I think it is wiser to approach each body singly. And use a "top down" approach. See if the finest products will work first, then if they don't, try something coarser. Sure it is more work that way, but only some, not all of these need sanding. And it isn't really easy to tell which is which. So just make it entertaining - make it into a series of projects, make it fun.

20. JurassicCactus

Yeah i dont want to sand anything just kinda rub some kind of oil on it to make it look like the natural oiling from playing it. I don't like it super shiny just a little gloss on the finnish instead of looking flat and dirty. With as little work as possible.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.