Makes the vintage guitar market seem sane. Jordan’s Nike sell for half a million

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by rze99, Aug 13, 2020.

1. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

2. Ecadad

Ecadad Tele-Holic

In all fairness, they're actually the pair that Jordan wore during his rookie season.

So I guess it's like when a famous guitarist sells a guitar that they played on a well known album or tour, which makes the half-million dollar price kinda logical. They're a pretty important piece of sports and fashion history.

Electric Warrior likes this.
  3. 12Frets

12Frets TDPRI Member

I've got some white socks that I wore with a very cromulent pair of sandals in some vacation photos. I'm offering them here at a discount before I offer them up on ebay.

4. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

yeah. Like a Blackie or Woodstock Strat equivalent.

Ecadad likes this.
  5. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

I suppose that depends on your criteria for what makes something 'important'. Obviously one guy places great importance on that pair of worn out runners.

It's interesting how we can attach so much emotion to an inanimate object by deciding that it's symbolic of something that we value. We all do it and we all think that the objects others choose to do it with are crazy. Guitars = perfectly sane .....Shoes = out of your mind....and we could pick an infinite number of objects to do that evaluation with. Look around your house at the stuff you hang onto that serves no other purpose but to activate emotions when you look at it.

And all of that valuing and emotion is taking place in our own minds so why not just think of the object when you want to feel those feelings? Why do we need to possess the shoes to get to that feeling? We can easily just picture the shoes in our mind's eye. We are a curious beast.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
  6. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Afflicted

That is a good point. But that market is still pretty silly. I was watching a video a few years back of a guy doing a demo for the green giant grill pizza oven insert. I wanted one and was watching reviews to see what people had to say. So this guy doing the review mostly had a following for reviewing and talking about shoes. But he was doing the grill and pizza oven because he owned it.

Anyway at one point in the video he was taking about the grill being pretty expensive, around 800 dollars at the time, and he was like I know I know, it's about the same cost as a pair of (air Jordan's or some other shoe) so it's pretty pricey.

Meanwhile I'm sitting there thinking is this guy serious? This is a grill built out of a fair amount of steel. With fans and augers and wiring and sensors and what have you. And those are shoes. You should be mad that those shoes are so pricey!

So to answer the question no one asked, I still have my grill, use it often. The shoes I was wearing several years ago...They're re pretty worn out. But I guess shoe people may not be buying shoes to wear. I really don't know.

7. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

Semi OT...

Last year we went to the Basketball Hall of Fame.. it's a pretty cool place to visit, easy to see the whole thing in one day, lots of fun for both adults/kids as well as die hard basketball fans and casual fans alike.

They have quite a few shoes & footprints there of famous players. MJ is kind of unique that his feet aren't that big for 6'6".

I'm 6'1" and my feet are basically the same size as his even though he's 5" taller than me... compare to a bunch of the other famous players and his feet are incredibly small.

Shaqs shoes are mind blowing to see in comparison. They're like 2x as big as Jordans.

Sneaker collecting is super weird but shoes worn by Jordan are not quite the same thing.. they're more like a baseball bat used by a famous player or an autographed ball.

My only sports collectible is a Basketball signed by the 2013 Celtics. Which weren't a great team that yet. I won it, I'd never have bought it. But because I won it I'm unlikely to get rid of it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.