Make Your Own Guitar Neck Shims

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Big_Vig, Jul 23, 2018.

1. Big_Vig

Big_Vig TDPRI Member

Simply make your own shims that are not tapered. A taper is not needed to correct a saddle adjustment problem. The angle in the pocket is not needed. Raising the neck straight up by 0.040 inch can solve the problems of adjusting the action (string height), accommodating bridge height, and compensation for shallow neck pockets. Shallow pockets relative to the heel dimension of a neck are a problem with many third party neck suppliers, along with clearance for the 22 fret fingerboard overhang over a pick guard. The shim has to be hardwood so as not to deform and to resonate consistent with the wood neck and body of the guitar. Using a flat shim gives full and tight contact between the heel and pocket.

By use of red oak veneer, you can easily make your own shims with a pair of scissors and a hole- punch. You can stack the 0.040 inch veneer for a 0.080 inch shim height. The 2 inch width of the commercially available veneer is just short of the width of Fender Telecaster and Stratocaster pockets by about 1/16” of an inch, which I don’t have a problem with. It you wanted it full width, just cut two pieces and trim for a full side-by- side width pocket fit.

Here is a picture of shims cut from the red oak veneer coil with one commercial tapered shim partially covered, the roll of veneer and package, and a hole- punch I use. The veneer can be drilled without splitting by using a power drill running in reverse. The tapered shim cost $10 which is more than the cost of material to make 25 feet worth of shims out of the $6 veneer roll.

kingvox, Jackadder and BorderRadio like this.
  2. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Whats better than shimming a neck?
    Using four of them thats what!
    If one adds to the tone like they say it does around here, four must be out of this world in sustain and resonance!

3. AngelDeville

AngelDeville Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I use cut up credit cards

4. ScribbleSomething

ScribbleSomething Tele-Holic

I use the cardboard backing from the allparts packaging.

5. kingvox

kingvox Tele-Meister

The hole punch and veneer method works great. This is my go-to. For years I used whatever blank material I had on hand (thin cardboard stock, etc.), and that works fine. Veneer is very nice though, and has quickly become my favorite for shims, and a small supply will last forever. The hole punch certainly gives the cleanest and most professional look. Very nice looking shims you've got there.

Whether doing a flat full pocket or tapered full pocket or partial shim, my go-to method is to just trace the heel of the neck onto veneer, cut it out, punch it out, and you're good to go. Definitely got my vote for this method.

Big_Vig likes this.
  6. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

That's a nice idea, thanks.

Big_Vig likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.