Make it BIGGER

Jupiter

Telefied
Silver Supporter
There’s a post in TBD from a big fella who can’t play a tele or strat because they look like little toys on him. Everybody’s telling him to get a 335 or a Gretsch or something but my first idea was “just make a bigger tele”. I have taken the pocket, routes and bridge location from a standard tele plan and slapped it into a few weirdo body shapes with no issues, so why not just a bigger tele?

It seems to me that a guy with a CNC should be able to tweak a tele outline plan pretty easily to make it, say, 15% bigger. You’d have to finesse the heel area, but the rest is pretty basic math—right?

I know that for me doing things the analog way it would take me about one extra afternoon to make a jumbo tele body (which is basically nothing in the overall amount of time it takes me to build a guitar lol); could ya adapt a CNC plan faster or would it be much more of a PITA?

Deeve

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
1642814878957.png

Reverb
Larson Brothers Prairie State Super Jumbo 1939

Visit
$28,000.00*· Out of stock·Brand: Larson Bros

Jupiter

Telefied
Silver Supporter
The guy just said teles look too small on him. I can’t imagine the weight would be a dealbreaker. Heck, cut it out of poplar then.

solfege

TDPRI Member
I know this isn't quite your point here, but this feels like a job for a Telemaster, and I hope someone has mentioned that to the person who posed this question originally. Offset bodies = bigger, but still comfy (comfier than Teles, really). But aside from the body shape, it's a Tele, and it can be just about any kind of Tele you want it to be.

Last edited:

edvard

Friend of Leo's
You know those Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Basses they made in 2010 or so? Shim a normal neck on it and scooch the bridge up to where it's supposed to be and voilá! Giant Telecaster!

squier-vintage-modified-telecaster-bass-158918.png