Major Honor for me

telleutelleme

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Last year I sent a picture of a pair of Birdwell Beach Britches (surf shorts) that I custom ordered in 1963 and asked them if they would like to have them. They said yes and I sent them along with the Gordon & Smith surfboard patch that had been sewn on them for years. They were very kind to send me a Shirt, T-Shirt and some masks; which I thought was special. They asked if they could use my story as I had worn the shorts during my military service and up until the mid 1970's.

Today I received an advertisement for the Conner Board Shorts and matching Jacket. I've not given my name on here before, but this was just too much of a surprise to me not to share. I surely wasn't expecting this. They even relic'd them too.

1643337243140.png

1643337461029.png

Here is the original:
WP_20200716_11_55_24_Pro.jpg

Last edited:

Doctor of Teleocity
That’s cool, man. I remember wearing those! I think mine were blue in the 70’s? My Dad wore them as well.

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
That's awesome, I had a company introduce my boot camp pt shirt like that, but they didn't give me any credit on it.

I think that is really cool.

tap4154

Doctor of Teleocity
That is a very cool honor! I never had those shorts, but around 1969-1970 I had Hang Ten blue surf shorts that looked similar, except they had a white stripe around each leg, instead of the competition stripe on one side. They also had laces similar to yours. I wore them out.

stxrus

Poster Extraordinaire
Cool story. I wore out my Birdwells by 1972. The best board shorts I’ve ever owned. When I retired them it was indecent to wear them in public. My GF, at the time, was respectable for their disappearance. I never forgave her for that discretion

telleutelleme

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Well done John. You must be very pleased. They look like cool shorts.

P.S. What's it like to have your own Terminator?

(Sorry I couldn't resist)

bummer.. now the terminator is going to be looking through the surf community for the son of Sarah....

nope not this one..pow, nope not this one..pow....

I'll be out the back... :lol:
:cool:

One of the reasons, I never posted my full name. When the Terminator first came out all the pre-pubescient kids would call at all hours of the night warning me, They would be back. Until phone books went away we would get calls every time it aired.

I bet Arnold never got board shorts named after him.

:cool:

Greggorios

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Great story. Glad you wrote them. You've made your mark in history!

telleutelleme

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Got a note from Birdwell today and they are sending me a pair of shorts and a jacket. Pretty darn nice of them. In 60 years I'll send these back and see if I can score a new set. Well maybe not. Perhaps the grand kid can do it.