Major haul yesterday

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Terriblecj, Jul 30, 2015.

1. JebDude

JebDude TDPRI Member

Hey, I've got one of those Epiphone Valve Jrs. Is yours modded at all. What is your favorite speaker or cab to run it into. I have a 16 ohm Eminence I need to build a box for.

JB

2. Terriblecj

Terriblecj Tele-Meister

So many tubes...12ax7, 12au7, 12At7, tons of 6v6, magnavox, ken-rad, tung-sol, jan, amperex, ge, RCA, reliable, Westinghouse, Raytheon, you name it and it's in here. 5u4, 12av7 (new one for me). Just lots of tubes

3. Terriblecj

Terriblecj Tele-Meister

My valve jr is modded but I put a switch in front to toggle from stock to mod. Pretty handy and it's like having two voicings.

4. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

The best thing to do with a big stash is to sort them immediately. Spread 'em out all over the carpet. Sort them into Ziploc bags. Label them by type. You may lose a few but...

You're primarily looking for 12AX7s and similar, 6L6s, 6V6s and the like, and rectifiers. It's helpful to call in a few people like me who memorized the important parts of the old tube manuals.

90% of the typical tube "stash" aren't useful for guitar amp applications. The exceptions would be leftovers from entities who used to service hi-fi or organs. I was literally knee deep in tubes at a defunct organ service, once.

Anyway, sort by type and give preferential treatment to the tubes that deserve it.

5. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

What a haul!!! Good picken! I got a big box of NOS tubes that are mostly old Tube TV type tubes. Hardly anybody restores old tube TV's, so those type of tubes are really useless and nobody wants them. Guess I will eventually haul mine to the dump. Platefire

6. Terriblecj

Terriblecj Tele-Meister

If you think these tubes are really something, I will try to get a pic of the inside of my tektronix cathode ray oscilloscope. It makes the most fancy amp and equipment layouts look like kids did it. The most impressively built tube device I've ever seen. Also, notice the case that dwarfs the other guitar case. That is a double telecaster flight case built in 1992. Supposedly one of the first ones made and one of my most prized possessions.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
  7. JebDude

JebDude TDPRI Member

I picked up a baggie of tubes at a local thrift store. From the types enclosed it looked like someone might have raided an old radio. Plus I have some tubes from a radio I scrapped. The preamp tubes are single triode-dual diodes. So to equal a 12a?7 tube I will have to use two tubes. But that leaves me with two pairs of unused diodes. I have heard of using tube diodes for clipping. Hmmm, if I could get it tweakable. . . Have to think that one through. Was wanting to build a Matsumin Gain-Booster pedal, but now it could be so much more.

JB

8. Singin' Dave

Singin' Dave Friend of Leo's

That is one amazing CList haul! Very rare to hear these days, not that $1K+ worth of stuff for $1 was at all common back in CList musical gear heyday 10 years ago.

Can't wait to see some counts on 12A?7, 6?6 and rectifier tubes in that lot as well as some pix. SCORE

9. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

10. Terriblecj

Terriblecj Tele-Meister

Thanks for the links Dave. That is an awesome site. I've been trying to find a cheap source for plain white or cardboard trinket boxes to store individual tubes but it's tougher than I thought. I have found probably a couple dozen 6v6, and maybe a dozen of each 12a?7 variety. Havent started on the odd number equivalents yet but they are in there. Some tubes have absolutely no marking on them at all so I have to examine the construction closely to try to determine what they are. After a quick wipedown, most of them look like new. LOTS of rectifiers in there and lots of different branded JAN tubes. Having old Peaveys, Marshalls, Fenders, and such has already left me with a healthy stash of 6L6/EL34/KT88/KT66 and others. The true score for me is the tube-driven record lathe and the Webcor tape recorder. Both will see good use when I am done with everything. I'm also hoping that I end up with a full set of replacements for my old Gibson RVT-20 Minuteman. Looks like a rat's nest, sounds like a rat's nest (full of talented rats).

11. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Get a shoe box and cut strips of corrugated cardboard and thread it like a zig zag between the tubes. Put a long strip of cardboard between each row like that.

Nice score.

12. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Well box dealers on eBay are usually best deal that I know of

13. Tazz3

Tazz3 Friend of Leo's

U hit the lotto congrats

14. boney

boney Tele-Meister

i'll give your buck back nice haul

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.