Major difference between the MIJ and CS Jerry Donahue Teles

That Cal Webway

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Although it's kind of dark I'll first post the Guitar World picture from the early 90s.

You will see on the right, the CS Jerry Donahue- the front pickup is back further then the mij one (the JD model).

IMG_20220818_182615793~2.jpg

Twang Tone

Friend of Leo's
Another difference between these two is the routing under the guard.

With the CS JD, you can lift the whole guard and neck pickup away from the body with the strings removed, but with the MIJ JD, the neck pickup wires are threaded thru a hole in the neck pickup cavity, like a vintage Tele, which makes truss rod adjusments a PITA.

Other differences: Birdseye Maple neck versus plain maple, Alder body with Birdseye veneers versus Basswood, Seymour Duncan pickups versus MIJ pickups, MIJ JD has a bound body, where the CS doesn't, gold-plated hardware versus chrome-plated, etc, etc.

That Cal Webway

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Most people already know that the woods used and such- there is a major difference between the two telecasters... A nice very figured maple neck on the CS one adds to it!

* But most don't realize there's a 1/2" difference in the neck pickup placement in the CS and the MIJ Donahue Telecaster.

Without digging deeper, my speculation is that the neck pickup further back on the CS one, was probably to help further accentuate that slight strat-like in between position tone somewhat already achieved via capacitors and such.

And I think I read before that Jerry did not quite like the boominess (to him) of the front pick up at times.

nickmm

Tele-Holic
I posted this because most people know that the woods used and such- there is a major difference between the two telecasters... A nice very figured maple neck on the CS one adds to it!

* But most don't realize there's a 1/2" difference in the neck pickup placement in the CS and the MIJ Donahue Telecaster.

Without digging deeper, my speculation is that the neck pickup further back on the CS one, was probably to help further accentuate that strat-like in between position tone somewhat already achieved via capacitors and such.

And I think I read before that Jerry did not quite like the boominess (to him) of the front pick up at times.
Neck pickup on a Tele is at the node of the 24th fret, not on a strat.
I heard an anecdote in the 1990 when these came out JD was using the MIJ in preference to the CS.

That Cal Webway

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Neck pickup on a Tele is at the node of the 24th fret, not on a strat.
I heard an anecdote in the 1990 when these came out JD was using the MIJ in preference to the CS.

And I forgot on the pickup placement not being in the harmonic mode! Ty.

Interesting on him using possibly the made in Japan one.
I would have to check the few live hellcasters concerts from back then, and maybe him doing solo stuff.

But it gets confusing because later he did Peavey endorsement and Wilkinson, and I think another one prior to that!

Mur

Friend of Leo's
What I've noticed with CS instruments is how different the necks are ..mainly wood type and cut.