Mailbox Hit and Run

Tele Slacker

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
She was living in Bedford, Tx, at the time.
Why do you ask? Could you be the perp? :eek:
She never pressed charges and I’m pretty sure the punk never bashed another mailbox.
Whew! Jk. Some friends if mine decided it would be fun back in the 80s. Thankfully i stayed back those nights. They had an ‘encounter’ with a reinforced mailbox…. Bat bounced back into the guy sitting in back seat. Broken arm(s?) and concussion later, the great mailbox vandalism caper was over in SC.
It was actually pretty funny for everyone, except the perps (and maybe the mailbox owner) since a lesson was learned and no one was killed. Nothing teaches a lesson better than failure.

radtz

Tele-Holic
Old memory alert! Back in high school a guy I know used to be drunk most of the time and would drive. There was an incident where someone had taken out most of a white picket fence. The cops were at the scene investigating when the dude comes driving by to see what was going on with white fence pickets hanging off the bottom of his car. The cops stopped him and asked what happened and his response was the best ever. "Well officer.... I got wine in my eyes".

Masmus

Tele-Holic
It was practically indestructible.

While not a mailbox, many years ago in Palo Alto large trucks would hit a pump house on the corner of a low expressway. over the course of about two to three years the corner of the building would get progressively taken off and the repairs continued to get more robust until they put one inch steel plate lag bolted to the corner that extended at least two feet. One day a truck came through hauling a 12' wide mobile office and took out half the building. I watched it happen. I was on the other side of the expressway at a stop sign and just waited in disbelief as it unfolded. I always wished I could see the look on the guys face that designed it while saying-let's see them destroy this, thinking it was indestructible.

Last edited:

dogmeat

Friend of Leo's
people use to smash into my mail box in winter because they couldn't stop on the icy road. pretty hard to install a new one with the ground frozen. my fix was railroad iron for the post, sunk about 3 feet deep in the dirt. it was hit several times over the years & didn't even quiver. then I moved & the box at my new house got cleared off in mid winter. my emergency fix was a piece of 4" schedule 80 steel pipe welded to a volley ball net base. the base is about 3 feet in diameter. it worked so well I didn't change to a "permanent" installation, its actually pretty handy because it is easy to move. its been hit a couple times over the years & no damage. I did get some car parts on the lawn though

Bob Womack

Friend of Leo's
I don't live in Florida, instead at the top of the Great Dismal Swamp. We live on a corner. This time of year, our front yard is basically mush from the high water table.

We woke up one morning with deep truck tracks through our yard where a drunk didn't make the corner.

Drunks happen.

Bob

Bob Womack

Friend of Leo's
By the way, when mine got knocked down, I learned the thing about the post office not delivering to a knocked-down mailbox in the most immediate way possible. I resorted to a chunk of wood and clamps until I could get a new post.

mailbox1.jpg
mailbox2.jpg

Mail started arriving again.

Bob

DanglingNutslots

Tele-Meister
We've only been here a few months now. It was on the list of things to do, but considering that this neighborhood is nicer, quieter, and friendlier (not to mention more secluded), it wasn't exactly a top priority.
People are the worst. Give me a planet full of dogs.

KyAnne

Tele-Afflicted
I live "in the curve" of my street. I'm on #31st mailbox in 35 years and 8 months in this home.
50 mph in a 25 zone? try 70+ in a 25 zone! All the back neighborhoods use my street as a cut-thru to I-10 going to New Orleans or Baton Rouge. Cops put a "violation counter" out and had 432 violators from Friday afternoon 'til Monday morning. Years ago I would let them back into my carport and use my house for a speed trap after we left for work. They don't come any longer but are still welcome anytime! I've seen some horrible wrecks on my neighborhood "STREET". Whenever I see a torn off expensive side mirror in the ditch, I just smile. Every now and then I win one! :)

Flyboy

Tele-Holic
My mom, and her neighborhood, had a rash of mailbox destruction years ago.
A friend made her a mailbox out of drilling pipe. It was practically indestructible.
A few days after the new mailbox was installed she found a broken baseball bat with blood on it.
The police made a check of the local hospitals and found a teenager with broken bones in both arms. He tried to deny it but soon admitted to the act and rolled over on his accomplices.
I'm trying to glean what happened here: they drive by at speed and one guy hangs out on a two-armed swing?

And the blood? Any ideas?

stxrus

Poster Extraordinaire
I'm trying to glean what happened here: they drive by at speed and one guy hangs out on a two-armed swing?

And the blood? Any ideas?
That’s pretty much it. A Louisville Slugger, a group of idiots, probably alcohol involved, and a vehicle at an undetermined speed.
Vehicle and body placement are crucial factors.

Two pieces of a bloody broken bat and some paint scuffed from the pipe mailbox was the evidence at the scene. Several other “standard” mailboxes were destroyed or mutilated in the area