1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Mahogany substitutes

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Williams, May 7, 2014.

1. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

I like poplar as a tone wood. Two of the best-sounding teles I've every heard were poplar. For a mahogany substitute Spanish Cedar is great- I think it's in the same family and looks right. Gotta love the light weight.

2. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

I find the references to African Mahogany being light interesting. The pieces of A.M. I have found in Tucson are very dense. Need to be chambered or will weigh a ton.

Rex

3. Tom Pettingill

Tom Pettingill Tele-Holic

African mahogany is a catch all term for a handful of versions / species of Khaya. You can find both fairly light examples and also some extremely heavy boat anchor pieces too. All in all, I like it a lot and more often than not have chosen African mahogany over the so called genuine / Honduran sold these days.

4. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

^why not just chamber it? if you're looking for the sound of mahogany... i hear mahogany gets pretty close :D. if its too heavy, get out the router...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.