1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Mahogany redwood build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Leigh, Dec 6, 2009.

1. treadwm

treadwm Tele-Meister

Looking at that diagram it doesn't seem like you would have to add another ground. I was really curious about this since I'm building a P90 tele also. I bought Tonerider P90's which have one signal wire and the braid.
    I found one reference that implied that to do the series/parallel switching, you would need to separate the plate ground (braid) from the pickup ground. But I never found any diagrams to back that up.

2. Leigh

Leigh Tele-Meister

I think it does show this in the diagram you linked to. It shows an extra ground (in yellow) which is the ground wire you have to add after seperating the original ground from the cover.
    I don't know enough about electrics to know the difference between where the grounds go.
    I have come across a few diagrams which also mention this. If I can find them again I'll post the link. If this is the case then perhaps that braided ground has to go

3. treadwm

treadwm Tele-Meister

I think you're right. I found this in another post (Thanks Fez Parka!).

http://www.deaf-eddie.net/guitars/5-tone.html

It shows using a super switch and separating the braid ground from the signal return on the neck pickup.

4. Leigh

Leigh Tele-Meister

Thanks Treadwm, I think thats the way I'll go and see what happens.

A few jobs to do first, need to sand back, restain and lacquer as well as finish the neck.

5. Leigh

Leigh Tele-Meister

I sanded the top back until all traces of the dye had gone and thought.....RED!

[​IMG]

Not what I had originally planned but this is with the sealer coat on. I like it :D
    I also sanded the sealer down ready for the lacquer but it started to rain today so I'm hoping tomorrow will be dry so I can make a start on that.
    Ordered frets and the volume pot which I had borrowed for another build. They should arrive in the next day or two. Could be a fun packed weekend :D

6. iansmitchell

iansmitchell Tele-Afflicted

Where'd ya get the redwood?

7. Leigh

Leigh Tele-Meister

The redwood was an ebay find. He had a couple of sets, wish I had bought them both now

8. Leigh

Leigh Tele-Meister

Definitly pleased with the colour now, This picture was after the first coat of lacquer.

[​IMG]

I have put about 6 more coats on since this picture and will polish it up tomorrow. It is an acrylic lacquer from a spray can and went on pretty well.

Neck is all finished so I'll take some pics of that tomorrow. And then its onto assembly and wiring :D

9. Leigh

Leigh Tele-Meister

Neck fitted and string ferules in. I love the look of the neck being the same as the body wood. Flows much better.

[​IMG]

The top is hard to photograph, the colour does weird things to the picture so I'll take more during the day when I have the control plate and pups fitted.

[​IMG]

10. oigun

oigun Tele-Afflicted

Nice one Leigh, This will be a real hot guitar with those p90's.
    Give us a revieuw how those wilkinsons sound. (uh I forgot the magic word) PLZ

11. Leigh

Leigh Tele-Meister

Thanks Oigun, will let you know what I think. ;) I'll try and figure out how and where to upload sound samples when its all up and running. I picked them up cheap so thought they would be worth a try, no big deal to change if no good.

12. oigun

oigun Tele-Afflicted

I put some wilkinsons in a tele recently and they sounded decent. I prefer the toneriders because they are real bang for the buck, but the owner is happy and thats what counts.

13. rubis

rubis Tele-Meister

Hi Leigh, that looks proper top shelf stuff, the back looks like birdseye, I think they call it pomelle on sapele....fantastic.
    When you started re-colouring it I had visions of it coming out like Simo's redwood bass but it looks less brown, a nicer shade to my eyes, more like a Huber ruby-redwood (try saying that with a mouth full of cake!). The cream pickups should look spot-on.
    You must be well pleased.
    What's next.......apart from wrestling with sound samples!
    best wishes
    Harry

14. Leigh

Leigh Tele-Meister

Thanks Harry, Simmo's bass was my inspiration when I got this redwood. I think he used an orange dye. Even if the colour was similar I would never be able to get to the same high quality standard. His builds are pretty amazing!

I am pleased with this and hoped to have got it close to finished today but didn't manage it because of the weather. Maybe tomorrow.
    I'm going to have to deepen the neck pocket as well and hope I wont mark the finish doing it.

I have no idea what to do next, never tried a carved top so might give that a go. Will also depend on funds. May need to sell a guitar or two to finance the next builds.

Then again, I have a nice piece of cocobolo I might play with ;)

15. Leigh

Leigh Tele-Meister

Almost there!
    Pups fitted. I taped up the ground and added a new one to the base of the pickup which I think is the same as what the 4 way wiring diagrams say to do on a tele neck pickup. I am having doubts about this though so we will see.

The control plate is only sitting in place in these two pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I thought I would give a mullard mustard cap a go in this one and have used 500k pots.

All fitted and wired up.

[​IMG]

Just have to clean up the jack hole for the socket to fit.

I'm developing a headache trying to set this up. I think I may have to take more off the bottom of the neck pocket.
    The bridges are high and the neck is bowed (concaved) forward quite a bit just to clear the frets at the heel end of the neck and its still buzzing like hell on the higher frets.

I'd be grateful for any pointers. I must have been luck on my last neck which was my first.

16. Leigh

Leigh Tele-Meister

Forgot to add, I'm really pleased with the sound of the pickups. First p90's I have ever tried and wondering why I haven't used them sooner. So can't compare them to other p90's but loving the warmth and tone these can give. I can even get some twang out of them :D

Only problem with these is the spacing is different on these and on the bridge is different so some of the strings do not go directly over the pole pieces. How much difference will this actually make?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.