Mahogany and the cost of it....yikes.

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by guitarbuilder, Nov 30, 2020.

1. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

The lumber market outside of guitars is pretty alarming to see changing, used to be construction lumber was nicer that a lot of what I now see used in guitars. Like you said, millions of bf of nice stuff went on decks that will be demolished after 20 years because them with those budgets need new stuff that often.

I'm not that familiar with mahogany and similar woods because I don't like it that much and seldom need to use it since leaving boat building. Even then in the '80s the boat market I was connected to considered mahogany to be old fashioned and standard issue, so not upscale or custom.

Oddly butternut got pop in yachts for a bit and we hated working with it because it dinged so easily.
    But I guess it had a pretty glow in a dimly lit cabin, so we did whole boat cabins in butternut including the bulkheads, essentially the walls between sections, permanently set in place and impossible to replace if you bumped it.

Anyhow, this aint grandpas lumber yard any more...

Blue Bill likes this.
  2. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

Well fetch it here bub :)

Yeh, I worked 4 years building motor sailors, from South American mahogany and teak with Douglas fir brightworks and yards. The scrap I could have had :oops:

My Brotherhood Build was luan. I'd never seen any that thick and avoided it for years. But heritage red it looks like any Gibson ever made lol

Dave

old wrench and telemnemonics like this.
  3. telemnemonics

48B28C8A-A7B4-46C9-B955-B86B17DAF8A2.jpeg Can some of you better educated wood guys tell me if this is mahogany?
    I snagged it off the pile at a construction lumber yard 15 years ago thinking it was mahogany. Typical 2x4x8’ planed to 1.75” thick and quite heavy.

crazydave911 likes this.
  4. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Howdy neighbor! Tough to tell from just that photo. It could be mahogany, but it also could be sapele, or some other look-alike. Pretty, though.

crazydave911 likes this.
  5. telemnemonics

Cantcha tell from thayuh?

Ahh reckon it don’t much matter then!

crazydave911 and Blue Bill like this.
  6. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Yea, its not like its inferior, its just *associated* with cheaper furniture and woodwork, because that's what they used. For that matter, one of the most prevalent, uninteresting woods in North America is Maple. You can't give Maple furniture away, no matter who made it or when. Yet, its highly prized as a superior wood in guitars, banjos, fiddles, mandolins, etc.

crazydave911 likes this.
  7. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

Yeppers, although my current banjo project contains none :lol:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.