1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

MAGNESIUM – And The Perils Of Sweating Too Much

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Piggy Stu, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Oink Oink, brothers and sisters

I’ve been having a pretty rotten time of it lately, healthwise. All sorts of odd symptoms that doctor and hospital never got to the bottom of, the weirdest being my lower eyelids trembling a lot

After all sorts of idiocy, the guy I sit next to at work asked me if I had my magnesium levels checked, and sent me a link to something which listed pretty much everything I was suffering

I went out and bought a few pennies worth of magnesium supplements, and the same afternoon my eyelids stopped the spasming. I now no longer drink gallons of water all day/have heart wobbles/etc etc. Small scratches heal in under a month. I am not sleeping 18h a day

Amazed at how it was undiagnosed, I read more, and it turns out low magnesium isn’t always clear in a blood test/all the weird things it does in your body. I had a steam room put in last year and have been caning it ever since. I seem to have sweated out too much of the element (most of my skeleton, it seems)

Well, anyway, I thought that even if it was just a single person on here who reads it and is pennies away from solving the suffering I had, then I will be glad to have written this post. Remember - it wasn't my-eye-twitches-I-am-tired. Both lower lids trembling like a bride's knees - pass it on!

2. atk1

atk1 Tele-Meister

Man Thank You! I have had the eyelid twitching for some time now.. I am waiting on blood test results. I will try adding magnesium.

Piggy Stu likes this.
  3. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Glad you have found the relief you were looking for, sound like a frustrating time trying to get diagnosed.

4. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

it is even good as epsom salts in your hair shampoo. my wife is a hair stylist and talked me into trying it and it really changed my hair for the better. just a couple of tablespoons is enough.

play music!

5. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

It seems like everyone is low on magnesium, and it’s the miracle cure. Don’t get too much, you’ll be tied to the bathroom

Piggy Stu and televillian like this.
  6. Piggy Stu

male pattern baldness and a hairstyle by Gillette means no shampoo been bought by me for 20 years - but I have tried the bath salts. didn't make the difference supplements in diet did

Apparently normal blood tests don't show magnesium deficiency. I told my doctor and he said he himself will look out for this in the future

don71 and src9000 like this.
  7. Piggy Stu

I looked into it quite a lot. It is washed out of the soil by modern farming techniques and food prep techniques, and carbonated/caffeine/cola/alcohol takes it out of you

Perfect storm

I eat pretty healthy so was amazed to be short of anything. I did it by sweating myself inside out for 40 mins at a time at 105 Fahrenheit in 100% humidity

Unfortunately it has had no laxative effect on me - I keep meaning to eat a load of coconut fat to see what that can do for me

: (

Newbcaster and ndeli55 like this.
  8. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

thanks for the head-up. One real-life story like yours is more meaningful to me than 100 'sponsored paid-for' links on an online news site.

This forum has hundreds of members, and they have experience in all manner of things. Their opinions, as you would expect, are all over the place. Their knowledge is too. But I almost always consider their tales of real-life experience as being honest and without hidden motivation.

tintag27 and Teleterr like this.
  9. Piggy Stu

Is now a bad time to admit I am in the pockets of Big Magnesium?

I couldn't resist it: the kilo they gave me has a street value of almost £2, and will supplement my diet for almost 10 years at 300mg a day

What have I become?

Bought and paid for

RLee77, steveieg, GFrank and 4 others like this.
  10. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

Try 2000 mg+ for a couple days

11. Piggy Stu

Are you the doctor out of the Simpsons who prescribed Homer the chocotastic food groups to help him gain weight?

Ps: chocolate craving is a sign of magnesium deficiency. My girlfriend already knew this and was taking it as a supplement

2blue2 and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  12. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

Ha. Maybe.

I’m just speaking of personal experience. I started some under the more is better mentality. Phwew. Not again.

I have hd crazy cravings as of late.

13. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

New Band Names:
    Big Magnesium
    The Perils of Sweating

'Stu, Glad to here you are doing better.

PingGuo, Crafty Fox and Piggy Stu like this.
  14. Piggy Stu

I found it interesting that I would neck 4 pints of water in an hour and still feel thirsty. I presumed I needed to eat more beef in my diet

I knew there was something really weird going on but the doctors just seemed to be sending me for tests to get rid of me

15. Mechanic

Mechanic Friend of Leo's

Doctors arn’t infallible. 1st summer 2 years ago was diagnosed with congestive heart failure. No cause or reasone for it, drained the chest so I could breath and the heart function properly. Next summer back in with bloated abdomen. Drained again more water pills and othe nonsense. Oh yeah they forgot to mention about a perforation of the bowel when draining fluid from the abdominal area. Back again with more X-ray and Cat scans. I hate doctors.

MickM likes this.
  16. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

I'm a really avid bicyclist and I've heard a little about this from super extreme athletes. As in basically Pro athletes doing 20+ hours a week of intense cardiovascular exercise in very hot weather.

It's amazing you'd get into this situation through a sauna/steam room. Sounds like way too much of something that might have a slight health benefit.

40 minutes on a regular/daily basis... plenty of time to pick up an exercise habit instead. You can sweat stuff out while actually getting exercise.

You could drink high quality electrolytes in there just like an athlete would do. And no, Gatorade wouldn't count, among other problems with Gatorade is it doesn't have anywhere near enough Magnesium.

You might also have some other health issue causing you to have a higher concentration of Magnesium in your sweat than normal.

17. Piggy Stu

I have a history of sinus trouble due to riding a motorbike to work all year round, hence steam room

With a low magnesium diet I got myself there

18. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I take this every night before bed. It contains Zinc, Magnesium and Vitamin B6. Also helps me sleep like a log:

Optimum Nutrition ZMA, 180 Capsules https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GIQS02/?tag=tdpri-20

Some info from an exercise/fitness program I’ve been following (in which I’ve lost 35 pounds since early December):

Summary Of Why You Need Magnesium: Magnesium is an ESSENTIAL mineral that our body requires to fight stress, relax our blood vessels, build healthy bones, and produce energy from the foods we eat.

The problem is two-fold…

1) Our modern diets are extremely deficient in Magnesium
    2) The added stress in our modern lives rapidly depletes our body’s usable Magnesium stores.

Some conservative estimated by the National Institute of Health (NIH) show that over 50% of people do NOT consume the recommended daily MINIMUM amount of Magnesium (study link).

What’s truly scary about this data is that the recommended minimum of Magnesium that most guys are already lower than is FAR LOWER than what’s truly optimal for your health and performance.

The good news is that magnesium supplements are typically very affordable.

Because Magnesium has the added benefit of being naturally relaxing, it’s recommended that you take Magnesium AT NIGHT – particularly with some Zinc – which will further help boost your testosterone levels (study link).

Oh, and one more strange thing before we wrap up this lesson…

You may be thinking, I’m already taking a multivitamin supplement like you suggested… shouldn’t that have Magnesium in it?

Yes, your multi-vitamin SHOULD have magnesium in it. But sadly, most multivitamins only have 6-30% of your recommended minimum amount of Magnesium. It’s really strange why they formulate like this, considering how important Magnesium is – yet it’s a common issue with many supplements.

This is yet another reason why I recommend using Magnesium as a standalone supplement at night.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
    RoscoeElegante and Piggy Stu like this.
  19. Thin69

Thin69 Friend of Leo's

So glad you found out what was causing you problems!

boris bubbanov and Piggy Stu like this.
  20. Piggy Stu

The cherry on top of it would be if I paid it forward and a load of you Crazy Cats on here are a few pennies away from the benefits I got - or indeed your nearest and dearest

Thin69 and ndeli55 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.