1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Magnavox console stereo project

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Fretting out, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

I guess this is basically? An amplifier so it’s okay to ask about here
    I have a good customer we do construction/maintenance for that has an old maganavox big console record/radio he asked me to look into it and I figured you guys might be able to help me along.
    I can solder and have a basic knowledge, I haven’t opened it up yet and I have a few questions, it might be over my head a little but I figured I’d see what I can do.

Would you guys recommend trying to find a schematic or can I just go into figuring most of the caps are bad? Can I just measure and replace them?
    Do these units have “death caps” that will need bypassed?
    I assume I should check the transformer/s as well?
    It’s also probably gonna need a 3 prong power chord

I’d appreciate it if you guys have any guidance, maybe one of you have tackled one of these

You can also tell me this is over your head take it to someone

12CCB389-B38C-4B27-8467-A4DE1BD77963.jpeg D8022209-7AF9-4E1A-9B6A-A818FA36ABAA.jpeg A26D455E-17AC-49A7-A4FC-85CE9A4681DA.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
  2. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

I think the Magnavoxes I've opened up were 100% point-to-point, bit of a jungle in there. Caps, yup. Also contact cleaner for any switches & pots.

EDIT - these were tubed not SS.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
    Fretting out and Jlwctn like this.
  3. Nickfl

Nickfl Friend of Leo's

It's a Magnavox Astro Sonic so it's solid state. It's not really worth anything if that factors into your decision, probably needs new electrolytic caps and I would be surprised if one or two of the transistors are not bad as well. I just gutted one of those for the speakers and transistors a couple months ago, it was PCB inside not point to point.

You can search around and try to find a schematic but you may not have much luck. As I said these are not really regarded as being worth the effort so there's not going to be a lot of information out there about a people having restored them.

tubegeek and Fretting out like this.
  4. Fretting out

The guy who wants it fixed just wants it to work price isn’t really a concern with him
    I figured it wouldn’t hurt to open it up and take a look, that’s gonna be the biggest factor for me because I’m not exactly sure what’s in it, if it’s pcb like you said I may have to take it somewhere

There’s a service sticker on the back that’s newer than the unit so I assume it may have been worked on

I thought it might be an okay thing to help me learn a little more about these things, I also figured if it just needs the caps replaced and maybe some work on the turn table I could do the work for the customer cheaper than taking it to a shop

Either way I plan on at least opening it up and seeing what is going on

This magnavox isn’t related to the amp magnavox? Is it

5. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

Any germaniums?

6. Fretting out

I didn’t even think to look it up yet, from what I’ve found it’s most likely from the mid 60’s
    Brad the guitologist actually has a couple videos on YouTube where he goes through one I’m gonna check those out for sure

7. Fretting out

Just watched a little of Brads video, woe!

I’ve seen amps that were pretty jammed packed but holy cow! That thing is definitely “a jungle”

I think I could do it but it would probably take me months with my level of skill to replace all those caps, and then if that doesn’t help another month of trouble shooting

Maybe it is over my head

I’m gonna continue with the video but it doesn’t look encouraging

There was one side of the chassis he showed with a couple pcb’s and I thought “ oh yeah that’s totally doable”. Then he flipped it over to the side with the output transformers and it was a rats nest!

8. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

A friend’s family had a stereo shop and they would gut those consoles and put a quality turntable, receiver and speaker components in them.

Wally likes this.
  9. Nickfl

Nickfl Friend of Leo's

Oh yeah, all ge. Probably about 20-25 total,aybee a dozen of which turned put to be a type that is comparable to one of the sought after unobtanium fuzz face transistors. Haven't done anything with them yet, but all but two tested good, so it was worth the effort of gutting the console.

tubegeek and Fretting out like this.
  10. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

Good man. Need my mailing address?

Nickfl and Fretting out like this.
  11. Fretting out

That’s what it looks like they are good for now, from what little research I’ve done it seems they are worth whatever the cabinet and a couple components are valued at

I’d hate to tell our customer it’s not worth it, I think it was the family stereo when he was a kid and he just wants it to work like it used to
    I’m gonna talk to him about it when I see him, I was just gonna charge him for the parts, I don’t think money is really a factor for him but I’m sure it’s gonna be a pretty penny to take to a shop

I’m not even sure how many local shops there are that would want to do it

slauson slim likes this.
  12. CDox

CDox Tele-Meister

That was my first stereo. Wish I still had it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.