MagnaTrons on Tele?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by dreamingtele, Jul 10, 2019.

1. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

Hi all,

I have finalized my partscaster project and I think, in my mind, it looks great.. one thing remaining that I cant decide on is the pickups..

I already have an AVRI 62 so single coils have been covered.

I have a rosewood neck that's waiting for a body, and I've decided on three bodies depending on which one would turn up the cheapest.

John 5 Tele (Gold) - Alder Body (I know, but it just looks so nice and glamorous!)
    72 Thinline - Ash Body or a MIM Blacktop Tele Body
    Harley Benton TE 90QM - Mahogany with Maple Cap - Thinline
    (https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_te_90qm_trans_red.htm?sid=d179aa7e682f436064358abddd41b4f6)

I wanted to get the Harley benton because its the cheapest and love how it looks! couldnt find a thinline with P90's thats as cheap as this and because TV jones pickups are so freaking expensive.

I have decided that I want a cabronita sort of telecaster with Magnatrons - given by TV Jones' description and one video by gearmandude on youtube showing how bright and clear Magnatrons are vs Filtertrons, but he is using a hollow body Gretsch.

Is there anyone who have a tele with Magnatrons on it? do you have sound samples?

Now here's the thing, My rosewood neck is sounding very bright when I put it on an American Pro telecaster with Alder.. would Magnatrons magnify the brightness that will make it super harsh sounding and thin?

I really dont want a Gibson PAF unless its a 335.. my only two choices are P90's or TV jones.. Now I have also thought about mixing a TV Jones classic on bridge and magnatrons on neck.. anyone tried this?

Is there any other thing that I havent thought of that can lead to a cheaper option?

2. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Friend of Leo's

I have Magnetrons in a cabronita, they are too bright to not have any tone control available. With a tone control, they are very present but still tend to sound thin. Regular filtertrons are a more versatile choice and don't require a tone control to tame them.

brookdalebill likes this.
  3. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

Thanks so much! I have a feeling this would be the case..

4. EddieLocrian

EddieLocrian Tele-Afflicted

I was thinking of putting Filtertrons in my Westone Thunder 1, cos I love my Tele N3s but do not like the muffled pants sounding humbuckers in the Westy.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.