MagnaTrons on Tele?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by dreamingtele, Jul 10, 2019.

1. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

Hi all,

I have finalized my partscaster project and I think, in my mind, it looks great.. one thing remaining that I cant decide on is the pickups..

I already have an AVRI 62 so single coils have been covered.

I have a rosewood neck that's waiting for a body, and I've decided on three bodies depending on which one would turn up the cheapest.

John 5 Tele (Gold) - Alder Body (I know, but it just looks so nice and glamorous!)
    72 Thinline - Ash Body or a MIM Blacktop Tele Body
    Harley Benton TE 90QM - Mahogany with Maple Cap - Thinline
    (https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_te_90qm_trans_red.htm?sid=d179aa7e682f436064358abddd41b4f6)

I wanted to get the Harley benton because its the cheapest and love how it looks! couldnt find a thinline with P90's thats as cheap as this and because TV jones pickups are so freaking expensive.

I have decided that I want a cabronita sort of telecaster with Magnatrons - given by TV Jones' description and one video by gearmandude on youtube showing how bright and clear Magnatrons are vs Filtertrons, but he is using a hollow body Gretsch.

Is there anyone who have a tele with Magnatrons on it? do you have sound samples?

Now here's the thing, My rosewood neck is sounding very bright when I put it on an American Pro telecaster with Alder.. would Magnatrons magnify the brightness that will make it super harsh sounding and thin?

I really dont want a Gibson PAF unless its a 335.. my only two choices are P90's or TV jones.. Now I have also thought about mixing a TV Jones classic on bridge and magnatrons on neck.. anyone tried this?

Is there any other thing that I havent thought of that can lead to a cheaper option?

2. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Friend of Leo's

I have Magnetrons in a cabronita, they are too bright to not have any tone control available. With a tone control, they are very present but still tend to sound thin. Regular filtertrons are a more versatile choice and don't require a tone control to tame them.

brookdalebill likes this.
  3. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

Thanks so much! I have a feeling this would be the case..

4. EddieLocrian

EddieLocrian Tele-Afflicted

I was thinking of putting Filtertrons in my Westone Thunder 1, cos I love my Tele N3s but do not like the muffled pants sounding humbuckers in the Westy.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.