magnatone amps

DrKewel

TDPRI Member
May I put my two cents in and applaud the Magnatone Panaramic Stereo 2 x10
Just a tone box. The videos tell the story. Yes, it’s very expensive, but you get what you pay for in this world.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
This is a new Magnatone amp I know,
but their little 5-watt ( or approx.) Starlite, Champ-like model sure sounds good to me! ( in PG demo)

It has a great breakup whose EQ/compression you can 'shade' towards BF or Tweed sound with the amp's Tone control
( forget what it's really called, and of course, no idea what's going electronically) :

BF Champ<NOON> Tweed Champ

* I may have that backwards, but you do hear the difference!

I'd love one, but $$!

mad dog

Friend of Leo's
Haven't played that new Panaramic yet, but do play a Magnatone Varsity non reverb all the time. The only EL84 equipped amp I've ever really bonded with. It's got beautiful cleans, and way more volume than you'd expect from 15 watts.

Lowspeid

Tele-Meister
I had the Magnatone Super 15 head and cab, and have played the Super 59 M80, Twilighter Stereo, Panoramic Stereo, and the Varsity Reverb.

I traded the Super 15 straight across for a Marshall SV20H and 2061X cab. Absolutely no comparison. THe SV20h and 2061X will be going to my kids when I die. The Super 15 sounded very "dull" and "boxy" to me. I swapped the original speaker for a G12M65 Creamback, which helped significantly, but still wasn't what I wanted. I LOVED the lights on the head and cab, but that's about it.

The M80 was awesome when I cranked it. Sounded like a Marshall.

The Varsity reverb sounded like a Deluxe Reverb. Very good, but it needed to be LOUD to get the goods.

The Panoramic and Twightlighter Stereo were AMAZING!!! And if I had $3K to spend on an amp, or I was a touring pro playing anything from country to Rock & Roll (Tom Petty levels of grit) I would have both in my rig, ala Jason Isbell. Again, ABSOLUTELY AMAZING amps!

Old Smokey

Tele-Meister
I played a Gretsch into a Twilighter Stereo when I visited Sweetwater. Beautiful. But I don't think I will ever pay that much money for an amp.