Magic Vibro Prince - Can not get a good set of tubes (rattling and buzzing)

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by heatx, Oct 21, 2021.

1. heatx

heatx TDPRI Member

So, I picked up a Magic Vibro Prince, which is based on a 60s Princeton Reverb. I wanted to try out a set of NOS tubes in this amp, so I ordered a set from one of the more popular vendors. The GZ34 (Mullard NOS) and both 6V6GT (RCA) tubes are rattling when I play certain chords. Biased everything according to manufacture spec. These are getting sent back.

I really do like the tone of the NOS tubes, there's something about it that I'm not getting from the stock set of JJs, but I seem to have horrible luck with these NOS tube sets. I had this same issue with my Champ and it took nearly two months to get a good preamp tube. In this case, the preamp tubes seem fine (RCA and Sylvania)... now it's the power tubes having issues. I tried biasing a little cooler to see if that helped to no avail.

My question is: should exchange for a new set, or just stick with a matched set of JJs? Does anyone have a good source for NOS tubes that are solid? It's like a never ending game to find a good set.

2. dankilling

dankilling Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

JJ’s rattle too. I’ve converted to EHX and have done well with them.

3. tubedude

tubedude Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Sometimes vibrations can be attenuated with sorbothane washers in the socket mounts or silicone damping rings for the tubes. Combos are a harsh environment for tubes.

4. corliss1

corliss1 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

^^ If you can grab the power tubes with something insulated (they are hot, remember) and the issue goes away, you can likely get away with some tube damping. Silicone hair ties are great for this.

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  5. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

No rattles at all with the JJs???

6. Lynxtrap

Lynxtrap Tele-Afflicted

Just IMO, chasing NOS tubes is not worth the effort or money, especially not power tubes, and certainly not rectifiers.

Try out some of the contemporary brands and stick with those you find reliable and good sounding in that particular amp.

Tim S, Pcs264 and Peegoo like this.
  7. Jowes_84

Jowes_84 Tele-Meister

I thought I needed something fancier than JJs some time ago, got old Russian 6v6s, RCAs, etc… they all started having issues at some point (slightly used ones) - and premium NOS tubes are out of my budget … so I never left the JJs after all.

Pcs264 likes this.
  8. corliss1

Strongly disagree. NOS rectifiers are still relatively cheap, drop the correct voltage, and should last forever. It's the only NOS tube I actively seek out. Power and preamp I just get new, tested tubes.

9. Lynxtrap

Lynxtrap Tele-Afflicted

OK, I won't disagree. Personally I have never had a problem with a new rectifier tube.
    They will of course affect the sound if they don't deliver the correct voltage, I just haven't noticed that as an issue with new tubes.

10. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

If you need a 5Y3, it makes sense to get an older rec tube. Cheap & plentiful. GZ34s, however are not. I've used JJ for years & they've performed well without any problems whatsoever.

11. corliss1

Yeah, 5Y3 and 5U4 are easy to get.

12. MuddyWolf

MuddyWolf Tele-Holic

Tubes rattle in combo amps. Some rattle more than others. Some start out not rattling and after a loud jam they start rattling. Its a fact of life. Get used to it. Or go with head/cab amps.

Nick Fanis likes this.
  13. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

This and only this.

Best solution: if you can actually hear the rattle over your playing you are too close to the amp,move further away so you don't hear it :)

14. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Does it have spring retainer clips or metal tube covers ?

15. corliss1

I think it's a silly argument to say all combo amps with tubes will have tube rattle. You just need better tubes. Zillions of amps over the last 70 years don't experience this issue.

Will some amps rattle more than others? Sure, when the manufacturer puts the tubes 1/4 inch from the speaker magnet, that may not be a proper design. And the larger the tube, or the larger the plate surface, the more likely it is to happen. But to say all Fender-style stuff will rattle is crazy talk :D

slider313, SnidelyWhiplash and Pcs264 like this.
  16. heatx

heatx TDPRI Member

So, it's just a lost cause? No matter what tubes I end up going with I'm going to have rattle? That just seems off, especially considering the price of these amps (Fender and the clones)...

Retainer clips on the power and rectifier and shields on the preamp tubes, just like a standard Princeton Reverb.

17. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

It does seem odd with NOS since they seat way better in socket than thin rod new tubes in the holder.
    Are you pretty sure it is a mechanical rattle sound. Do any of your tubes rattle
    when pull them out and shake them? Reverb units can make all kinds of awful
    sounds. Can you look at the guts and see anything. Does it rattle if you shake amp
    not powered. Wish you luck...

18. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Deleted- bonehead misfire on my part

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
  19. muscmp

muscmp Friend of Leo's

yep, i use sea urchin tubes also. unagi and inagi; we all nagi! maybe OP can use them and it won't rattle.

note to OP: have you checked the tightness of the pins in the sockets? i've only had rattling once with my vox ac15c1 and i swapped the chinese tubes for jj and it went away. and, you are sure that it isn't the cab?

play music!

Tim S and brookdalebill like this.
  20. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Doh!
    Sorry man.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.