Magic Sam's Boogie: Smokin'!

KC

Friend of Leo's
That clip is from a series called "The American Folk Blues Festival" -- a European tour that ran for a few years in the mid sixties featuring the cream of the crop of the blues. Some of these shows were televised and the clips were released on DVD a few years ago. Solid gold. The Howlin Wolf footage is worth the cost of admission all by itself. I believe that Sam is playing through a Marshall stack in that clip. As far as I know that's the only footage of him playing.

billy logan

Tele-Holic
Cool! Magic Sam Live> "Backstroke" - at 3:07 in post #22 - has a lot of "Frosty" ingredients :)

Thanks, EllroyJames. This album is new to me. A certain young lady of my acquaintance hears Magic Sam's vocal style as "hot," as in sexual. I hear it as "inconsolable."

I believe this song is well-known in Jimmy McCracklin's version>

A studio recording from 1957>

Last edited:

johnny k

Poster Extraordinaire
That clip is from a series called "The American Folk Blues Festival" -- a European tour that ran for a few years in the mid sixties featuring the cream of the crop of the blues. Some of these shows were televised and the clips were released on DVD a few years ago. Solid gold. The Howlin Wolf footage is worth the cost of admission all by itself. I believe that Sam is playing through a Marshall stack in that clip. As far as I know that's the only footage of him playing.
The folks blues festival made those artists get a second chance in europe when they were mostly forgotten in the U.S. if i am not mistaken. I think my dad had a record of such a festival.