Magic Sam's Boogie: Smokin'!

BroGreg

TDPRI Member
Jaw dropping performance right there.
I went on a search after noticing the guitar Magic Sam was tearing up. It appears to belong to Earl Hooker, another lesser-known but outstanding player. earl.jpg

Couldn't find out where the recording took place, more than likely the Chicago or Ann Arbor blues festivals of 1969. Tragically in December, Magic Sam had a heart attack and died at age 32. Hooker was hospitalized soon after and died of tuberculosis at the age of forty. A real joy to be able to hear both these men just make those guitars scream, and be inspired to chase after what these gentlemen had.

BroGreg

TDPRI Member
Watching the clip again I notice at 1:25 in, what appears to be a wallet bouncing on top of the drum?

elihu

Doctor of Teleocity
Watching the clip again I notice at 1:25 in, what appears to be a wallet bouncing on top of the drum?
I figure it's either there because he likes the way it deadens the drum head or he just has to keep an eye on it. I used to play in a blues band where the drummer never used his floor tom. That's where he set his drinks and sandwiches.

ruger9

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
Yeah the wallet thing is an oldschool trick to calm down the snare. JD McPherson and Jimmy Sutton, IDK if you are familiar with their music or not but it's not only old school in style, but also in recording techniques- they used very old gear (Jimmy Sutton's studio) to get the tones... check it out (wallet on the snare is in the first :30)

I read an interview with Brian Setzer where he, when he started the big band project, he had his drummer use a certain type of drum head for the snare- I forget what it's made out of, but it's something that sounds more dead than a regular snare.

As for Magic Sam, I've known about him but never went and explored him. He's "on the list" tho.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I guess I've been living under a rock because I'm hearing this for the first time, but hot damn, this is absolutely smokin'!

The tone, the syncopation of the right/left hand, it's just friggin' alive, man!

What a fantastic groove and tone!
Was that a Hagstrom?
I don't think it was a Les Paul ( could be wrong)

johnny k

Poster Extraordinaire
Yeah. cool tune. And not even playing his guitar.
edit and probably not even rehearsed since he is giving cues to the band.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
View attachment 940370 It is a Univox. Originally owned by blues and slide great Earl Hooker from Chicago.

Thanks!

I went to a Catholic boarding HS in the 1970's, and the 2 electric guitars in the Folk Group ( which I would join later), were matching Univox guitar and Bass.
I would learn many years later that they were Mosrite Ventures model copies!
We didn't know anything other than they were electric guitars, and we got to play them! ( though I actually played acoustic in the group)

( the bass amp was Univox, and guitar amp, a SS 15" Standel)

Resojazznblues

Tele-Holic
Jaw dropping performance right there.
I went on a search after noticing the guitar Magic Sam was tearing up. It appears to belong to Earl Hooker, another lesser-known but outstanding player. View attachment 940286

Couldn't find out where the recording took place, more than likely the Chicago or Ann Arbor blues festivals of 1969. Tragically in December, Magic Sam had a heart attack and died at age 32. Hooker was hospitalized soon after and died of tuberculosis at the age of forty. A real joy to be able to hear both these men just make those guitars scream, and be inspired to chase after what these gentlemen had.

American Blues Festival 1969

dblues

Tele-Afflicted
He put out two great albums on Delmark: Black Magic and West Side Soul and probably others I missed. Really great singer as well. I remember reading a glowing review of those two albums in Downbeat magazine when they came out and I had never heard of him so I was skeptical. A few years later I heard one of them and immediately went and bought them both. He does a similar “boogie”song on one of those albums called Mama Talk to Your Daughter. The other guitar player on those albums was Mighty Joe Young who stayed active on the Chicago blues club circuit for many years after Magic Sam passed. Some good friends of mine got to know him really well and I got to meet him a few times. Really sweet man and another great performer.