1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Maestro Vibrola or Bigsby?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by BorderRadio, Mar 5, 2021.

1. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I have an Epi 2020 Firebird that's great, but it needs a vibrato. I'm a Bigsby nut, so I know that will work and can be completely reversible. What I really want is a Vibrola though, even though the mod would be permanent and the tailpiece studs will be visible.

Is there any reason to avoid the Vibrola? I need the actual vibrato mechanism to be tuning stable over everything else. I also don't want anything in the way of my right hand when palm muting every string...

Thoughts welcome....

2. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

I put a Vibrola on an SG once. I had so liked the idea of it, but then in reality really hated it.

Perhaps if I had never owned a Bigsby I wouldn't have known how things could be.

I didn't like the feel of the arm, I didn't like the action. I only liked the look. It has all the potential tuning issues of a Bigsby with no adjustments that can be made to it.

BorderRadio likes this.
  3. CaptainCrunch

CaptainCrunch Tele-Meister

It's not the worst trem of all time, but there's a reason it wasn't widely copied. How much stick-wigglin' do you do? If it's a little shimmer at the end of a song, it can do that. If it's more like Neil Young, I'd go with the Bigsby.

BorderRadio likes this.
  4. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Afflicted

If it ain't a Bigsby, it ain't shigsby.

I pitched that slogan to them, but I never heard back about it.

EDIT: To actually contribute something to the conversation - if you decide on the Bigsby, check out Callaham's upgrades for it. I have all of them except for the 360 degree arm, and I'll get that one too eventually.

BorderRadio and G.Rotten like this.
  5. rsclosson

rsclosson Tele-Afflicted

One word: Stetsbar

BorderRadio likes this.
  6. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

Seriously consider a Les Trem II unit. It is smoooooth and in IMHO, holds tuning better than a Bigsby, given other factors (bridge and nut) constant. As cool-looking as Vibrolas are, they'll go out of tune if you even stare at them too long! Also, the Les Trem is easily reversible if you don't like it.

BorderRadio likes this.
  7. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

While I've no personal experience with the Vibrola, a bandmate who's opinion I absolutely trust tells me that those things are nothing but trouble.

They sure do look cool on the right instrument though,the long-tail ones, Firebirds being one and SGs another

BorderRadio likes this.
  8. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

24B2D474-92EA-4359-A8C2-7BA0178406EE.jpeg

Mine are equally tuning stable. Equally comfortable for me, for resting right hand on bridge.

Subtly different feel and wobble.

I love them both equally. You need a slightly higher bridge (nothing crazy) for the Vibrola to work well than a B5 or B7 though.

My local shop says the Vibrola can be a bit futzier and a bit more fiddly to troubleshoot and get right. But nothing insurmountable and knowing how to troubleshoot a Bigsby will probably help a lot.

BorderRadio likes this.
  9. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Holic

MilwMark and BorderRadio like this.
  10. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mike M likes this.
  11. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Alrighty then, Bigsby FTW!

E5RSY likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.