Maestro Jimmy Page and the dirt box monsters

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by slippin slider, Apr 25, 2014.

1. sirloin

sirloin TDPRI Member

Just for the record, yes Ten Years Gone was played w/ his brown B-Bender tele live but it was recorded with a strat that Page ended up giving to JPJ who then much later returned the strat to Page. Read this in a Page interview, he actually had the strat with him and told the story.

2. Seance

Seance Tele-Meister

Well... I have to disagree with the characterization of Robert Plant trying to
    "look like Janis Joplin".

I think he was clearly trying to look like Woodstock-era Roger Daltry,
    and sound like Jeff Beck Group/Faces-era Rod Stewart.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As far as "cultural appropriation", and frequent references to "blackface",
    I don't agree with your assessment. The appeal for American audiences
    with bands from "The British Invasion" was that many of those bands listened
    to a spectrum of music like blues, R&B, soul, country, Tin-pan Alley and
    showtunes without adhering to the US segregationist preconceptions about
    which type of music was appropriate for each type of person to be
    influenced by. The British "versions" of those musical styles created
    something new. Which in turn inspired American artists to do something new.

3. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

how can you play 10 years gone on a strat? clearly just the B string is being bent...i think the JPJ strat is the blue one, he also has a 57 sunburst neither have b-benders

4. Iago

Iago Friend of Leo's

He doesn't even bend strings when playing the main rhythm guitar. Some string-bending does appear later in the song, but it's nothing that couldn't be done by human hands. I'm strictly talking about the studio version here. The JPJ strat is a 50's model with a maple fingerboard and either blonde or olympic white in color.

5. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

I'll betcha Jerry Donahue could do it on a strat or a standard tele. :lol:

6. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

Half to two-thirds of the album was recorded in 1974. I am not sure the MXR pedal existed in that time frame, maybe, does anyone know? By 1975, the US tour, Page can be seen using a phaser pedal onstage and its possibly that same one, or a similar one, used on the Rover. Some of the tracks on the album were recorded at earlier times and then some of those, had stuff added to them in 1974.

He used anything and everything in the recording studio, that much is a given. Actual guitars used on particular tracks can be difficult to determine. Sounds like a ____ but later he reveals in an interview it was a _________.

Or maybe it was so long ago he cant remember what it was and it was really a
    _________________________________________________________.

7. artdecade

^ Mad Libs?

8. Tele-phone man

Tele-phone man Tele-Afflicted

Plant's vocals changed pretty dramatically by about the 4th album. My best guess is that it had more to do with the constant abuse of relentless touring for several years. NOBODY's voice could have survived completely intact from that situation. He had one of the toughest gigs in music at the time. Remember, he was singing by himself for hours at a time virtually every night at the highest reaches of his register and at the top of his voice fronting one of the loudest bands in history, and this abuse went on for YEARS. Plant's voice was simply irreparably burned out, and could never again regain what he had on the first two records. IMHO.

9. surfoverb

wow i had to listen to it again, youre right there is no b-bender on the album. weird.

that speaks to the genius of page. He did all these studio tricks and layering in but live it was just him, a bass, and drums. Yet he still was able to pull it off live. crazy.

10. Iago

Iago Friend of Leo's

The Phase 90 was instroduced in1972, if I'm not mistaken.

Here's the "JPJ" Strat:

[​IMG]

11. artdecade

^ That looks... wrong. Like a baby pole-vaulting.

12. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Afflicted

Page was known to sometimes use the old trick of pushing down on a string above the nut (between the nut and tuner) to approximate string bender effects by raising the pitch of the one string, what you are hearing may be that in some songs. Works best on mostly the B and G strings.

Al

13. analogmike

analogmike Tele-Meister

14. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Afflicted

"No Quarter" is also one of the songs where the guitar sound is the guitar straight into an overdriven board, no amp. He did that on a couple of other songs as I recall.

Al

15. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

to me its listening to him on the boots, playing Song Remains the Same, all those killer solos, on a 12 string. Just him and Jonesie and Bonzo. Incredible playing.

16. slippin slider

slippin slider Tele-Afflicted

I saw him with the yard birds in San Francisco, when it was time for their second set to start he came out on stage and played "White Summer" by himself sitting on a metal folding chair.
    I had no idea who the guitar player was but he was great.
    He may have been playing a L.P. jr.

17. allesz

allesz Tele-Meister

My envy... no, ENVY for people who had the chance to see them live when they were still young and strong.... the same for the Stones, Hendrix, Doors, and so on.

About Plant, I have read here and there some complaint about the way he sang and the words he wrote; in this case I feel I am lucky because I am not english spoken (I will never catch everything he says): I have the chance to listen to the voice as just an instrument... a nice one, and well played btw.

The same applies to Kyuss, for example: I like the voice very much (very macho btw), but I have the feeling that the words don't mean much.... never bothered trying to find the words online, maybe I am scared I will not like the songs the same way.

Zep's first four records are just perfect; the single guys in the band are not my favourite guitar, bass, drums players or singers, but together they are still hard to beat.

18. surfoverb

ws was usually his 59 danelectro

19. Iago

Iago Friend of Leo's

Except for Dazed and Confused and Heartbreaker I can't recollect him doing this anywhere else.

BTW, he's been quite fond of the Digitech Whammy lately. If anyone has watched "Celebration Day", you must know what songs I'm talking about.

20. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Afflicted

It was mentioned in an article recently about B-benders that he used to do that behind-the-nut bending trick sometimes, when the B-benders came out he got a B-bender Tele right away, which essentially does the same thing.

Al

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.