1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

made to look more 70s

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by sculptor, Jan 25, 2008.

1. sculptor

sculptor TDPRI Member

Hi all,

Have had this highway 1 tele for a few months now, i like the guitar, its a good weight 7lbs, and it plays nice. but i felt the styling was a bit of a compromise basically 70s but not quite, so i decided the vibe of the guitar would be better if i gave it the full 70s makeover.

heres some pics , just waiting for the string tree to arrive

Attached Files:

2. Grin'n'pick

Grin'n'pick Friend of Leo's

Looks great, like it came out of a time capsule! That goodness they didn't switch to the three bolt neck on teles otherwise you'd have been scuppered.

3. sculptor

sculptor TDPRI Member

Thanks grin n pick,

glad you like it , as fender dont seem to make a 70s reissue at present if thought i make my own.

couple of more pics of the front of the bridge and head stock with the incorrect soon to be replaced string tree.

Attached Files:

4. Scotland

Scotland Poster Extraordinaire

5. sculptor

sculptor TDPRI Member

Thanks for that scotland, i never knew that i have to do a search and see if i can find a pic of one, see what there like.

6. the naked guitar player

the naked guitar player TDPRI Member

oh boy, I love those tuners.

I know alot of people wont agree, but I think fender made their nicest guitars in the 70s cbs era. I just love the looks of them.

I wish I was born 25 years earlier :)

7. seansdadj

seansdadj TDPRI Member

wow thats an amazing guitar...

8. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

Great piece of work - with the string tree changed, theres not too much to differentiate it from the real deal. Nice.

9. mellecaster

mellecaster Former Member

Color me as One ........;)

10. sculptor

sculptor TDPRI Member

11. BarnesTO

BarnesTO Tele-Afflicted

Just curious....how long did it take you to find those tuners, and did you get them for a decent price? I ask because I was goind for the sam look when I built my General Lee, going for a '69 look. I ALMOST gave up because I didn't wanna pay 80 bucks for 'em, but I finally lucked out and found some for $45 or $50....I see they are a little less scarce on eBay as of now, but some sellers seem to be pretty proud of them, and the price reflects that.

Is the bridge on your Tele the stock one? I have the exact same one....I thought it was from a MIM '69 Thinline or '72 Custom, but someone here told me it's a Highway 1 bridge, because of the Allen adjustment screws on the saddles....

Anyway, looking good! A friend's everyday player is a beat up '72 Tele that has yellowed almost to butterscotch, and he has a black '52 reissue guard, as well as dome knobs and a reversed control plate on it....I love playing it every chance I get!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2008
  12. Grin'n'pick

I'm a believer. I'd concede that the QA wasn't as good maybe but if you get a good one from back then it can be a smokin' guitar. I have seventies strat and if I'm honest as a player that thing is tremendous.

And the best tele I ever played was a seventies one, I've mentioned it before on here, man I wish I'd bought it. It was maybe fifteen years ago and was going for about £300 pounds. It would have been a bargain by today's standards. Funny thing is, and I think it says a lot, I don't recall if it was a maple or a rosewood board, heavy or light weight, good cosmetically or not, all I remember is that it sounded incredible and played like a dream - the important things. I will always regret the fact that I will never see that one again. Maybe I perpetuate the myth with my rose-tinted recollections, but I don't think so, it was special.

So I'm all for giving the 70's Fenders a bit of love, and celebrating them like we have here with Sculptor's great guitar in this thread. You have a fine looking Tele there and the attention to detail is superb. Fender should just use those bits rather than stopping halfway with the HWY 1.

Sorry to bring him up at this sensitive time but didn't a 'sir tin sum wunn' have a lot of good things to say about 70's Telecasters (and 70's Twins for that matter)?

13. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

The hardest thing to replicate would be the shallower cutaway on the bass side of the body by the neck.

14. sculptor

sculptor TDPRI Member

hi, it took a while to find those tuners there hard to find in the uk, got some from a USA seller in the end for $44.

The bridge is stock, its pretty much like most 70s style bridges, as far as i can tell, have looked at a few original 70s teles, and apart from a patent stamp on some it appears to be the same.

I as you can see like the detailing on 70s fenders.

15. BarnesTO

BarnesTO Tele-Afflicted

I do too....that's why I went with that bridge, it looks the part. The notched steel saddles, especially.

You did a great job with it! Now, did you get one of those deluxe cases with the amp logo and orange plush interior? :D

16. Grin'n'pick

Yes, the notch, or lack of, is a bit of a non-starter. But I reckon that's a good thing.

17. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Yeah, not my favorite aspect of 70's Teles. Visually at least. The curve just looks wrong to me on those.

18. skinny ted

skinny ted TDPRI Member

beautiful work sir!!!

19. TexGoneNW

TexGoneNW Tele-Afflicted

how 'bout a w-b-w guard?

20. sculptor

sculptor TDPRI Member

It has a parchment black parchment guard on it which is fine IMO,

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.