Made the trade im happy

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Buffalo0993, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Buffalo0993

Buffalo0993 Tele-Holic

Traded my 68 custom princeton reverb for what I was told but I'm not sure, is a 1974 princeton reverb with a weber 10f150t speaker and original glass. It's honestly a much better sounding amp. The reverb is glorious and not metallic sounding and the tremolo is glorious as well,

It's weird this amp seems to have more bass on tap than the custom, it can really shake the floors but at the same time the bass doesn't overwhelm the amp like the custom did for me. I can put the bass on ten and still get usable tones for just solo playing. Also this amp is dead quiet you can't even tell it's on if the volume is on ten, whereas the custom was pretty noisy at ten.

The reason I'm doubting it's a 74 is because of the orange and silver grille cloth, didn't this come later in the 70s? Also it seems like it doesn't have as much volume as the custom did, could this mean its due for a cap change? Or are caps and output unrelated? The tubes do seem original they're all RCA.

Anyways overall I'm very happy with the trade and now have something I can proudly pass through the family. It may need some work but I know a guy who does good work for a good price. If anyone can answer my questions I'd greatly appreciate it.

Attached Files:

2. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Goes to show, there ain't nuthin' like the real thing... :D

Turn 'er over and look. There will be 606- codes on the transformers. The transformers were manufactured a month or two before the amp.

The serial number is stamped on the right rear of the chassis. '74 is 30000 to 32500.

3. FiddlinJim

FiddlinJim Tele-Holic

Good for you! I don't think you can necessarily use the grille cloth as a way to date the age. I have a '74 Deluxe a reverb with that orangey grille cloth and I don't have reason to think it isn't original. If you're really worried, you'll need to pull the chassis and check things like transformer codes, etc.

4. Robster

Robster Tele-Afflicted

I have a 1974 (confirmed by looking at the date codes on pots and transformers) and it has the orange and silver grill cloth. If you serial number is near mine that should clinch it. What is your serial number? Top back right of the chassis.
    Yours looks as good as mine does, bet it sounds good too.
    Rob

5. Buffalo0993

Buffalo0993 Tele-Holic

I'm really not worried at all actually. The princeton reverb didn't change all that much throughout its production so I don't really care much what year it is. One thing I do know is orange is my favorite color if you couldn't tell by the orange tele and orange cable haha. So I love the grille cloth

Edit: serial number is A 31320

6. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

It's a '74. It's a good one.

7. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

The volume issue could be a few things. If you needed a cap job, you'd probably be getting some noise, but still it's probably best to have a tech put it on the bench and take a look.
    Mostly, I think, that the 68 Custom has a different output transformer and that could make a difference. And it has a Celestion speaker that could be more efficient than the Weber.
    I'm unsure of Weber's efficiency specs, but a lot of people love that speaker in PRs.

8. Buffalo0993

Buffalo0993 Tele-Holic

No no, that's what made me think there might be an issue. The Celestion is a very inefficient speaker and the weber is a very efficient speaker. Yes it could very well be the transformer though. Idk I didn't really a/b the amps together so it may be a perceived volume thing either that or I'm just crazy. Either way it will be taking a trip to my amp tech to be gone over I'm amazed with the condition of this tolex, it coming apart only at the seams in a couple of places but other than that it's practically spotless

Looks like someone was playing drunk and couldn't get their jack in the hole though :p

Attached Files:

9. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Ditto ....

Welcome to the club, you got a great amp there, looks pretty clean too!

I recently got an older Princeton Reverb also. I'm digging the amp a lot, mine has the same grillcloth. From the serial number I guess mine is a 76, but it doesn't have the pull boost , when did Fender start that?

Interesting comparison between the "new" PR and a vintage one, I wondered how they would differ, from what I've read the new 68 series seem like they were designed to break up faster, and that's not something I need in a smal combo amp, I want good clean headroom and tone, I can always get gain with a good pedal or two.

Attached Files:

10. Buffalo0993

Buffalo0993 Tele-Holic

Yea I really don't know why earlier breakup sounded like something I wanted at the time. Especially since I already have a tweed champ that pretty much is a dedicated early breakup amp.

This one actually doesn't break up until almost maxed out with single coils and around 8 with humbuckers. I guess iv been experimenting lately trying to find my sound. I really think this one is it though. At least until I get a bunch of land in the country and I can crank a vibrolux

11. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

I have a 75, orange and silver grill cloth.

12. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

I have been gigging with a 74 SFPR for a few years now. Mine was cut out for a 12" when I bought it for $150 and I sold the 12" PV black widow that was in it for $68 on ebay and ran a Fender Eminence for a while before switching to a Cannabis Rex. This is my favorite amp and I have a bunch of amps... I bought a 75 to carry as a backup.

Attached Files:

13. ZZB3

ZZB3 Tele-Holic

I have an older '65 Princeton Reverb with that same Weber speaker in it and it is my #1 amp. The size, tone and overall sound makes it a terrific amp. Enjoy!

14. Delta Blues

Delta Blues Tele-Afflicted

You just can't beat that old RCA glass in a old Fender. Congrats on the upgrade.

15. RaistMagus

RaistMagus Tele-Holic

My advice, from my limited knowledge and experience, would be not to mess with the amp at all unless you want it to be 100% reliable for gigging.

If it plays well and you like what you hear and there are no indications of malfunction (hiss, hum, strange noises etc) then leave the poor amp be.

16. Buffalo0993

Buffalo0993 Tele-Holic

Agreed the bass response of this speaker is beautiful really

I will say the one problem I'm having, just from playing it a couple of hours last night, is that it doesn't seem to play nice with my Timmy. Very strange since usually the Timmy has worked with every amp. Maybe I just need to figure it out and give it more time

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  17. foundjoe

foundjoe Tele-Holic

Buffalo, you were a bit of an advocate for the Custom Princeton Reverb. Didn't you start an amp owner's club for that model? Kind of curious why you got interested in making a trade. Also, did you trade straight across with someone? If so, wonder what their motivation was.

18. Buffalo0993

Buffalo0993 Tele-Holic

That's wasn't me that started the club but I did join it. It's a good amp especially if you only play single coil guitars, but it's not really a princeton reverb. It was actually a guitar store I traded with. I was in the store and saw this amp and decided to try it out, out of curiosity. And it blew me away how much better it sounded than my amp. I went and traded my amp plus cash for it a few days later

I'll say It again the custom is a good amp, it's great if you want cool rock sounds at home, but it's not a gigging amp and I wanted better clean sounds. This one delivers that

19. sparkletele123

sparkletele123 Tele-Meister

The Coloration on the Grille could be from Nicotine stains. Congrats on the Amp.

20. Buffalo0993

Buffalo0993 Tele-Holic

No it's actually supposed to be orange colored like that. I thought that color grille didn't come till later but I should've known because my amp doesn't have the pull boost

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.