Made in Japan Telecasters - are recent ones still good?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by malthus101, May 31, 2019.

1. malthus101

malthus101 TDPRI Member

Hi Guys

I've searched the forums, read other posts but can't quite get my question answered - simple really...

Are the later MIJ Teles as good as earlier ones? Are there any "bad years" or was one manufacturer's output better than any others etc.

I'm looking at a 2015 model and can't get to play it in person so have nothing to go off really.

Any advice from anyone whom knows these guitars well would be helpful..

Thanks!

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Even better, IMO.
    The pickups and electronics are better.

3. TeleFunk Man

TeleFunk Man Tele-Afflicted

I have a 2008 Blue Flower, quality is top notch...

IMG_3177.jpg

4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

My limited experience with MIJ Fenders and Fender Squiers is limited to thirty+ year old instruments (which is very good), but I would suspect they would be excellent. If the ones we're seeing from China and Indonesia are as good as they are, I would think the Japanese would be superior. So, it all comes down to price. Good luck!

malthus101 and hellopike like this.
  5. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Holic

I can’t speak to a complete guitar, but I have a 2009 Allparts neck made in the same Japanese factory Fender uses, and it’s easily my favorite neck. I used it at rehearsal the day the guitar was finished, and it felt like an old friend right away.

Pickups and electronics can be upgraded, but a great neck is essential.

6. malthus101

malthus101 TDPRI Member

Interesting - so perhaps no need to swap them out as some have done in the past?

7. Howard VA

Howard VA Tele-Meister

02E8314B-CCA6-4A60-ADF7-0AF2FFCF9159.jpeg 621AE28C-BE71-421C-BC20-25825B5EDBAD.jpeg Yes they are. This Midnight 60’s Traditional Telecaster is every bit as good as the Olympic White 90’s Custom Telecaster I bought back in ‘96. View attachment 612444

8. malthus101

malthus101 TDPRI Member

Anyone know where the Japanese made ones get their wood from for the bodies and necks etc? Presumably it's not Japanese harvested wood.. but then again, maybe it is?

9. malthus101

malthus101 TDPRI Member

Cool - when was the Midnight made?

10. Torz Johnson

Torz Johnson Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I got a new MIJ paisley tele a couple of months ago. The quality was excellent except the nut slots were too deep. The dealer replaced the nut for free and it's really pretty perfect now.

[​IMG]

MrHamburger likes this.
  11. bftfender

bftfender Poster Extraordinaire

That black tele is very nice looking & the white also.The gold really appeals to me..nice guitars !!

Howard VA likes this.
  12. Howard VA

Howard VA Tele-Meister

Seems like they came out within the last year. They had 2 at my local music store ( both gone now) just a month or two ago. Probably still available, but maybe limited.

13. Howard VA

Howard VA Tele-Meister

Thanks, yeah they are every bit as nice as the American made Teles I own. No knock on the American made ones, which are great guitars, but these Japanese made Teles just don’t have a flaw.

bftfender likes this.
  14. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

I like 'em a lot. Made really well, and as others have noted, no longer burdened w/ substandard pickups.

15. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

still good

16. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Still good.

MIMs have come way up...but it doesn't mean the MIJ ones have suffered. They've just been largely pushed out of the U.S. retail market, in favor of higher-end MIMs.

17. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

In my avatar are two Teles-the Custom is a 2015 MIJ, and the CAR is a 2004 CIJ.
    Both excellent guitars, very well made, finish excellent, excellent players.
    I have replaced pickups, switches, and pots on both.
    My main guitars, and I also have a 72 and a 77.

malthus101 likes this.
  18. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Afflicted

I have two that are excellent quality n finish 2017/18.
    Pink paisley - basswood/generic pots etc.
    Trad 60s Custom - Alder/cts pots etc.
    Both MIJ vintage style pups - alnico.
    I found the pups a bit bright but discovered removing the treble bleed cap on the Vol pot made them perfect for my taste.
    IMG_20190306_091548.jpg
    IMG_20190306_092038.jpg

19. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Just be careful which model you are buying. The MIJ current production comorises some high end models made of ash with vintage appointments like tuners bridges and pickups, and some lesser models which may be sen (Asian wood that looks like ash) or Agathis or basswood in some painted Teles.

Nothing wrong with them quality wise except the cheaper have lesser pickup, pots and switches in some instances. JDM may have four or five levels going from Squier-like to Fender Custom Shop. So if buying online ensure you know which it is so you get which you're paying for

20. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

I bought a 2015 62 Doublebound FSR in Lake Placid Blue in the UK on line. I bought it blind because I know the quality and this one was an ex demo with a substantial discount at 595, but no knocks so I knew I couldn't lose financially.

I've posted here before but I'm on a train so I can't post the pics again for a couple of days.

It's a beauty - looks like the new American Original 60s and the neck is a medium not slim carve with decent shoulders. It's not the skinnier carve of the 80s and 90s.

I swapped out the pickups and electronics for an AVRI 62 Custom set. As usual the generic vintage set were just about usable but lacking.

Fit finish are impeccable, as usual with MIJ. It was listed as an Alder body. It could be who knows. Plays well. I needed to make the nut cuts deeper. Excellent tuners. Super stable neck. it's a medium weight, less than 8 pounds. I had the frets stoned to a flatter radius which I prefer when using a 7.25 radius. Lovely very dark rosewood which you get on the MIJs.

Not nice thin nitro, of course, but still feels and looks good.

Let me know if you need more info.

malthus101 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.