Made in Japan Squier Strat..?

Jeru

Tele-Holic
This may be coming my way from a dear friend -- it was his from when he was younger and he
hasn't touched it in years. I have very little information now, but will know more in a couple of
weeks. He tells me that it “may be an old Japanese Squier Strat." Can you knowledgeable folk
tell me anything about it from the only picture that I have..? When and where made, what model
or series..? I am excited to see what this likely is and read more about it. It’s been a while since
I’ve had a nice Strat. THANK YOU..!

Jefe’s Strat 1.jpg

Jefe’s Strat 2.jpg

Last edited:

RodeoTex

Doctor of Teleocity
Know to be good. Quite possibly about the same as a Fender from a certain era
I'd buy it. Well not that LPB maybe.

Jeru

Tele-Holic
I hear you Re LPB.
That said, if it plays great and sounds great, then i’ma play the heck out of it and not obsess about the cosmetics.

(“TAKE THAT, 10-YEARS-AGO JR..!”)

Anybody else know what this thing is..?

LAPlayer

Tele-Meister
When you get it you can easily search the serial number for Fender Japan guitars. They usually have good information from one, or more, sites.

Spox

Tele-Meister
Could possibly be a mid 1980s E Series, if you do a search for Squier Japan E Series strat you'll see what I mean.
You'll know once you get access to the first letter of the serial number.

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
I can't tell you much, but I do remember them. I used to own a Japanese 'Hank Marvin' Squier.

Should be a nice guitar.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
This may be coming my way from a dear friend -- it was his from when he was younger and he
hasn't touched it in years. I have very little information now, but will know more in a couple of
weeks. He tells me that it “may be an old Japanese Squier Strat." Can you knowledgeable folk
tell me anything about it from the only picture that I have..? When and where made, what model
or series..? I am excited to see what this likely is and read more about it. It’s been a while since

View attachment 982222
View attachment 982223
Can't speak to this Squier specifically, but I can say the 1983 MIJ Fender Squier Strat I own is outstanding. Mine is the "three-screw neck plate" version, with the big headstock. It is (as far as I can tell) totally stock, with no changes. I would (and have) put it up against many MIA Strats, and it compares VERY well. The only thing I DON'T like is the slim neck, like most Fenders. Both of my Teles have Warmoth conversion, Fatback necks, which are more comfortable for me. But other than that, the hardware and pickups, as well as finish quality, are top-notch. I've owned a number of MIJ Fenders (Strats, P-Bass, Jazz Bass, etc) and they were all great. If I were interested in a Stratocaster, I'd definitely look at the one you show.
BTW.....price?

Jeru

Tele-Holic
Thanks to all of you. I hope to go with my friend to his folks' house to retrieve it on Saturday.

Spox:
Definitely serial number. I will advise, hopefully this Sat.

bgmacaw:
Shouldn't be modded. Hope not.

nojazz:
About price -- my friend is talking about this as a gift to someone who will play it and enjoy it (me).
Once I know what it is I'll let him know that this is likely worth xxx dollars and that I wouldn't be
offended if he wanted to sell it instead (he won't). Not his style.

This is sort of like if you go to dinner with someone and at the end of the meal they say they want
to pick up the tab -- you can protest once and tell them that 'there's no need' and 'I insist' or whatever.
You do that once, give them a chance to back out/not pay the tab. If they persist and want to do
something nice for you and buy you the meal then (depending on circumstances/relationship) it can be
rude almost to NOT accept -- in that case you express your heartfelt thanks and make sure that they
understand that their gesture is appreciated. My gut says that's what's going to happen here.

Thanks again all, and please stay tuned.

FMA

Poster Extraordinaire
I had a MIJ Squier Strat back in the day and foolishly sold it. I forget what year it was - probably early '80s, when Fender first launched Squier. It was a very good Strat, on par with anything Fender was making back then. Why I sold it, I have no idea. It was a long time ago.

String Tree

Doctor of Teleocity

View attachment 982222
View attachment 982223
I own an '85 MIJ Strat w/Rosewoof fingerboard.
These are great guitars.
Mine sounds good through just about every amp it has been played through.
Doesn't take much to make them gig-worthy.

Hope you get it.
KIMG1103~2.JPG

Jeru

Tele-Holic
UPDATE -- Got it..! E-series, E8xxxxx, FujiGen 1984-1987. The color looks a bit greener in person somehow
than it does in pictures. It needs a setup (of course) but already the neck feels comfortable, just about right
size-wise. Have been busy and have not had much time to play it through my main amp. I am taking it in this
evening for a setup, so it'll be a while until I get to really see how it sounds, what it does best.

I have told my friend what it is (now that I know), and he has refused any payment. I have to figure out
something really nice to do for him, express gratitude. Here are pics.

MIJ Squier Strat - 1.JPG
MIJ Squier Strat - 2.JPG

Last edited:

doof

Tele-Holic
I hope you enjoy it! I had an E series MIJ Squier strat a few years ago, by far the nicest neck I ever touched.

Jeru

Tele-Holic
Do any of you know whether a current Vintera Strat pickguard will fit the E-series MIJ Squirer..?

How would you go about finding out with as much certainty as reasonably possible..?

Thanks.
JR