Made a USB Flash Drive For A Friend

ZackyDog

Friend of Leo's
I'm pretty handy with my PC (Photoshop, Blu-ray creation, etc.) and am always learning something new.

Apologies for the redundancy to those who know this; I just made a USB Flash drive of videos on my Windows PC for a friend who has an Mac/Apple computer. I was concerned about compatibility and evidently a Mac/Apple can read FAT/NT. He was able to play the videos without any issues.

Flash drives are a great way to share stuff. In the old days, I would have burned a DVD or Blu-ray disc(s). They are amazingly compact and economical. You can get one for $15 that holds 128Gb. And it's easy and fast to transfer data to them, especially the USB 3.0.

1653474921885.png

Spox

Tele-Meister
I'm pretty handy with my PC (Photoshop, Blu-ray creation, etc.) and am always learning something new.

Apologies for the redundancy to those who know this; I just made a USB Flash drive of videos on my Windows PC for a friend who has an Mac/Apple computer. I was concerned about compatibility and evidently a Mac/Apple can read FAT/NT. He was able to play the videos without any issues.

Flash drives are a great way to share stuff. In the old days, I would have burned a DVD or Blu-ray disc(s). They are amazingly compact and economical. You can get one for $15 that holds 128Gb. And it's easy and fast to transfer data to them, especially the USB 3.0.

View attachment 986858
As mentioned in other threads my two closest male friends have never owned a computer and never had an email address or any kind of online presence. Late last year I bought one of them a blu ray dvd player for his birthday/christmas as he was about to buy a non blu ray machine which are becoming thin on the ground. It has a USB input and I stuck about 32GB of music, documentaries, comedy etc onto a USB stick for him and when I showed him it he said "what is that?" in the same kind of tone your mum would have when catching you with something you should not have. Six months down the line he hasn't used it once, it is clearly the devils work to him and I'll give up and take it home with me next time I see him.

telepraise

Tele-Afflicted
As I remember from my teaching days, if you put a flash drive that was formatted on a Mac into a Windows PC, the Windows computer won't read it and will ask you if you want to reformat the drive.

A Mac will read flash drive in either format. This is dated info from a few years back but may still be the case.

ZackyDog

Friend of Leo's
As I remember from my teaching days, if you put a flash drive that was formatted on a Mac into a Windows PC, the Windows computer won't read it and will ask you if you want to reformat the drive.

A Mac will read flash drive in either format. This is dated info from a few years back but may still be the case.

It looks like formatting as exFAT so the Mac data can be read on Windows.

rcole_sooner

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I use a flash drive full of MP3 albums in my truck. Same MP3 albums on my phone, which I use while running or in my truck if using the google map lady for navigation help. No subscription costs.

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire

Nope

Alamo

Doctor of Teleocity
I use a tiny USB OTG (on the go) stick.
it has usb-c on one side and and standard USB-3 on the other. it's a good tool to move stuff from a phone to the other.

SANUSB3DC3.032.png.jpg

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
Flash drives are not as reliable as some think, and they can be attack vectors. I/we (I'm an enterprise tech manager) still use them but not for anything mission critical and not where they can enable attacks or data leaks.

For my own use of USB drives for transfer and backup I make sure there are multiple copies and off site versions.

For the paranoid or compliance, you can purchase special flash media made in USA typically used to boot servers.

beyer160

Poster Extraordinaire
Flash drives are not as reliable as some think, and they can be attack vectors. I/we (I'm an enterprise tech manager) still use them but not for anything mission critical and not where they can enable attacks or data leaks.
Last year I did some work for a company that banned the use of flash drives for this reason. So, I got to take a pocketful of them home. Score!

W.L.Weller

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Last year I did some work for a company that banned the use of flash drives for this reason.
I've always wanted to squeeze glue into computer ports. Or did they implement it the lame way, via software permissions?

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
Now a necessity for my car. Never was a fan of "shuffle" mode in my younger years, but now I am since most of my commutes are short.

mindlobster

Tele-Afflicted
Dated tech, but still useful at times. The removable storage I use most often is SD cards for my cameras. Until recently I had an Elektron Octatrack sampler, which relied on Compact Flash cards, which was ridiculous.

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Ad Free Member

For my own use of USB drives for transfer and backup I make sure there are multiple copies and off site versions.

For the paranoid or compliance, you can purchase special flash media made in USA typically used to boot servers.

^^^All of this, folks. I use USB flash drives, but don't trust them as the sole repository of my files.

My wife is a business analyst who contracts with various companies. IIRC her last 5 client-supplied laptops have had USB flash drives blocked from use per local and global policies.

rcole_sooner

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
This is why the Bible says..

Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in "the cloud", where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in or steal.

👍

:lol:

rghill

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter

On top of that scammers sell cheap large capacity drives online. They take old smaller usb drives and change the drive tables to report larger capacity to the operating system. You plug it in and it says 128GB. Start copying files, and it stops at 256mb or 512mb, but you never know unless you verify that everything is copied.

These are being sold on ebay and Amazon, so be careful out there.

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
This is why the Bible says..

Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in "the cloud", where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in or steal.

👍

:lol:
TDPRI John told me that's a scam yet the cloud works for our running a small (not yet 1000 employees) enterprise.