Madbean Fritter (Hot Cake mod)

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by zippofan, Jul 16, 2019.

1. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

I'm building this at the same time as my 5E3, gotta get a pedal in there LOL. It was Brian's giveaway board when I picked up the tube OD and Mutron, meant for a 1590A. My fingers are too big for tiny boxes, I build everything in 125B's but went with a white 1590B I had hanging around. That way I can have a battery clip too.

It's a clever layout with 9MM pots on a separate board, so I'll mount the main PCB with solid core wire and support from a plastic clip. While I'm figuring that out I'll start on the decal.

Fritter build.jpg Fritter build gut.jpg

I'm looking forward to doing a comparison of his circuit mods versus the straight clone I built from FuzzDog:

HotCake_complete.jpg HotCake_gutshot.jpg

The mod changes some cap and resistor values, and subs an LF351 for the TL071. Should be cool :)

2. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

Decals are lacquered and drying while I get ready to wire it up.

HotCakeFritterDecals.jpg

Figured I'd try something different for this one, I think the font for "Hot Cake" is appropriate for a modded circuit, pretty far out, as well as the usual Madbean font (Badaboom). I left the one pot cutout circle for registration on the box, along with the LED being centered in the "O" of Hot Cake.

awasson likes this.
  3. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

Time to lacquer the box and assemble:

FritterRTR.jpg

awasson, Urshurak776 and jimdkc like this.
  4. ahiddentableau

ahiddentableau Tele-Meister

Good looking build. I like your label.

When you get the thing fired up and give it a spin, come back and tell me how you think the presence control works for you.

zippofan likes this.
  5. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

Will do! Hoping to finish the lacquer tomorrow and have it all wired up as soon as it dries. I did the modded circuit values (3 caps, one resistor) that Madbean suggested to reduce the bass and gain a bit, and change the presence control response plus a smoothing cap in the feedback loop of the IC.
    I'm curious as to the difference to the stock values. I'll hook both up and compare.

ahiddentableau and Fretting out like this.
  6. ahiddentableau

For what it's worth, my experience was that reducing the bass a bit is a good idea on this one, especially if you're going to use it at higher gain levels. I've always found my Hot Cake gets surprisingly gnarly when the gain knob gets pushed into the right side of the pot sweep.

zippofan likes this.
  7. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

I figured it would be a good experiment, as my Vox is an AC4 with a 10" Warehouse Green Beret, and I still like a straight up boost with it over the stock Hot Cake.

8. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Very cool build , nice small touches.
    I made a fuzz back in 70 , just a 741 w the gain set to 10,000.
    How is the output attenuated ?
    I had an amp that didn't mind a 15 V square wave. I tried many op amps. The ones that are good for clean preamps are too hi fi for distortion. The 741 w it's roll off of highs once it's gain is 100+ is better , w a strong fundamental and proportional harmonics. A good Burr Brown etc emphasises the fuzzy harmonics too much.

zippofan likes this.
  9. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

Hooked em both up for a quick play with my Bootstrap equipped Jazzmaster through my ZT Lunchbox, I like the modded circuit a little better.

Hot_Cakes.jpg
    There isn't as much gain, it's noticeable, nor as much bass. The presence control on the stock pedal increases more high frequencies, which could be good with darker pickups. Since I usually play vintagey winds in single coils and P90s I don't need all those highs.

I think I like the LF35x series op-amps the best of all that I've tried.

Fritter Gutshot.jpg

Coming up next...a Klon clone thanks to Ursh! (and an Arion Chorus clone too)

Urshurak776 likes this.
  10. ahiddentableau

So you find the attenation of the highs is significant? On my build it's very subtle--on some settings almost inaudible.

What values did you use on the presence control? I think the original is 56nF and 1k in series to ground from the CCW side of the pot. Is that what you used?

And I see that the Madbean build docs suggest a 220pF cap in parallel with the 100k resistor between the inverting input and the output of the opamp. Did you use that or play around with it at all?

Hope you don't mind all the questions. I'm just looking for some suggestions for tweaking my build. Ordinarly I'd just start modding away but it's an old build that I made on a homemade etched board. The traces on it are going to be really delicate so I'd rather measure twice and cut once!

11. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

I built the mod as per Brian's values in the Fritter doc including the 220pF cap in the feedback loop. With the little (6") speaker I tried, the highs were less in the modded version with the presence control all the way up compared to stock. That's also probably why the bass response difference was so noticeable, as the little speaker started to flub with the stock values and sounded clearer with the mod. Then again, that just could be the difference in gain, as I found the dimed comparison between the two was significant.

Normally I like more gain rather than less (my favorite pedals are boosts) to overdrive the amp. In this case, the mod just gave me more of what I like without any over emphasis. I especially like that there was no fizz in the background as the notes decayed with the modded Hot Cake, the one thing I have never liked about the DOD OD 250 though I like the overall sound of that drive pedal.

For a better test I need to connect it to one of my 12" or at least 10" cabinets. I figured I could get in a quick comparison after I completed the mod and before Mrs Z told me to turn it down lol.

12. ahiddentableau

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

I think I'm going to pop the hood on my build and put that 220pF cap in, and probably change the cap values on the pres pot. On my build--which is dead stock to the 1977 version I think--the presence pot is mild to the point of doing next to nothing. Not really a deal breaker...the pedal sounds good, and plenty of designs don't have tone controls, but having a pot that doesn't do much just bugs me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.