Macrogats 2020 Brotherhood Build - Route 66 Barbycaster

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Macrogats, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

So it’s time to throw my hat in the ring, so to speak. I was going to hang out longer, but what with all that’s going on, and the country in lockdown, I guess the time is right.

Besides, I had been procrastinating for weeks and weeks (pretty much since this idea was formulated) on exactly what to build! There was an arch top style, a Bigsby ladened SG, set neck LP DC jnr, different acoustic type ideas, a beautiful quilted mahogany veneered Strat, and other options for a nice piece of old swamp kauri I recently purchased.

But when all’s said and done, simplicity seems to be a recurring theme, and now with the shutdown and the inability to purchase any further goodies - then simple it shall be!

So, I have to start the story of my decision dating back a few weeks ago when I was deleting unwanted photos out of the iPad, and noticed something long forgotten lurking in the background of this picture. Have a glance in the middle, and you’ll see something pointy behind all that rubbish just below that Strat neck.

6165377C-6B08-4464-B4BD-066B853E7405.jpeg

So I pulled it out and did this

236F8068-643F-4D44-B636-5125710A4C99.jpeg

2. Macrogats

It’s a plywood shield my missus bought me at a car boot sale a couple of years back. She sent me pictures at the time, and I said “go for it”, as I started formulating wild ideas for a double neck 12/6 string!

I will show you guys later my further inspiration for wanting this particular item, but don’t have any photos atm.

Anyway, this dea started to burn a hole in my brain as a very simple rustic style Esquire build, as a five string set up mainly for open G, a la Keef and his famous Micawber!

However, I never considered it for the Brotherhood build at the time, as it just seemed TOO simple, and I had really wanted to “challenge” myself.

But as explained earlier, things have radically changed, so this is to be it.

Btw, please ignore the neck in the second picture, that is a throwaway I had lying around that I wanted to check the colour scheme against the shield with.

Anyhoo, moving on.... as things started to take a turn for the worse, and I decided to commit to the BH challenge, I thought it was high time my main shop area got a bit of a clean up. Here’s what it looked like!

4F7D4507-79B6-4476-9FCD-3B963D999124.jpeg

CFBA40B7-8575-45B1-8488-7472D1C2148A.jpeg

2E65C4EC-CD71-46B8-A675-A20039705D1F.jpeg

crazydave911 and 2blue2 like this.
  3. Macrogats

My main work bench!! :eek:

28018138-578A-4FF6-AF65-4BFFCA83F2C1.jpeg

And here’s things looking a little better after a good tidy up, organise and even sweeping and vacuuming the floor. :D

E3A9868C-E81A-4586-89CD-96CF9F18106E.jpeg

Most of what you see there is all I use for my guitar builds. Hand held router, jigsaw, palm sander and assorted hand tools. Oh, and LOTS of sandpaper! :lol:

Attached Files:

4. Macrogats

The funny thing was, when tidying up all that mess, I came across something perfect for the body! My initial thoughts was to use old pallet pieces I have lying around (got a fair few of em), but then I found these pieces of wood I had ripped off an old barbecue we had years ago, and had stashed them away with lots of other wood pieces.

2C220403-579A-467A-A467-7B866DA957D9.jpeg

They’re pieces of Merbau I believe, used in the construction of old barbecues for their good weather resistance. Somehow they just looked right to go with the stain colour used in the “Route 66” etched into the shield. Same as my idea for a Merbau neck and FB. But that..... the fb is to possibly change!

Sooooo...... today being day number one - I cut that top out to have a look at how things may be!

D8AD611C-B7B2-419B-9E5E-BA726E033316.jpeg

4DCDFC6B-953B-4D53-8225-D9CFE3C813B5.jpeg

5. Macrogats

Then I suddenly realised that I should officially log my entry before I went any further.....

B7603DBB-58A3-49C9-B4D4-BECD71811F29.jpeg

There’s a Merbau neck blank there with a possible fb, but I may change that. Classic Fender bridge and pup with adjusted poles, some old relic knobs off my old Ibanez Blazer, some pre cut fret wire, a spare jack, and some tuners I had laying around. But I may change those for a new set of locking tuners I got in the other day! I don’t have any fancy resistors or capacitors laying about, so she’ll be a straight volume and tone single coil rock machine! I hope! :D

So my next inspiration was to possibly use a piece of the barbecue wood for a fb. Can’t hurt to try??? It’s all a nice hard wood, and has a nice ringing tone to it when tapped. But the main inspiration is that it tones in so well with that inlaid stain. ;)

24BA3533-F4C4-4507-808A-7CA03597C976.jpeg

Next up I started planning things out for the pieces of wood and ripped them all down for straight joining edges.

109E9C6E-BFDE-457E-8015-BE7370459DEA.jpeg

1DCA8BCA-4961-4C17-8D51-875AD358E413.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
  6. Macrogats

Next up, I chose the best pieces for the back and worked them out for a reciprocating centre line. Line the edges with glue and clamp em up!

First set to pull them gently together

9EA048A6-3044-4155-8279-A318E025E1A7.jpeg

Wiped away the excess, laid down more wax paper, then clamped some solid pieces to lay everything flat. I’m doing this on my router sled table block. It’s a kitchen bench offcut - flat as they come!

67ED0810-79EE-4DE7-849A-33C56838B3E5.jpeg

Those will sit overnight and into tomorrow afternoon before I release it.

My next thing was to determine the best set up for the middle section of the “sandwich”. I should have pointed out that the pieces I’m using are at about 5/8ths (16mm) each - so doubled up will give me about 32mm. The top is currently at 9mm or just above 3/8ths, so with a bit of sanding etc, I’ll be looking at about a 40mm body. Maybe a little more as these things can alter slightly. The middle section may need a bit of flattening, but I’ll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Some of the pieces left for the middle section were slightly twisted, so I reconfigured things for the best fit, and decided to trim a bit off the back of the body.

My original (homemade) Tele template is a little larger than normal, but I scored this nice Paulownia body just before Xmas, so used it to refine the shape for this project. You’ll see the new line I traced in at the bottom of the top piece.

74FCC312-DE63-419D-9C93-598A4058D0C3.jpeg

7D9C1E67-AF75-487B-9A1B-65BBD49407CA.jpeg

Trimmed and laid out on the best set of boards for the middle. And that’s where we are for day one! Very excited to see a plan coming together, but the ensuing days and weeks will see how it takes shape!

4E15E84B-82E5-4361-8185-F0A88D4F6ACD.jpeg

Stay safe everyone!!

7. RatBug

RatBug Tele-Meister

Cool

crazydave911 and Macrogats like this.
  8. 2blue2

2blue2 Friend of Leo's

Your in
    Your in!
    YOUR IN!!
    :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)
    :):):):):):):):):):):):):):)
    :):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Alight

I want to be first to say ~
    your routing the route sign

There some kind of irony there

9. dazzaman

dazzaman Tele-Afflicted

That is an impressive start. And wise move on going simple given the present circumstances.

Though I really wish you hadn't mentioned the shield shaped doubleneck idea...

2blue2, crazydave911 and Macrogats like this.
  10. Macrogats

Cheers RB

Lol. I didn’t originally connect with the rout route thing. Good one! :lol:

Thanks dazza.

When I first got the shield I did mock up all sorts of ideas with necks, bridges and pups. I measured it all out and it was very close to the Jimmy Page guitar dimensions. Would have looked cool with that point at the butt end of the body. But as I mentioned in Captain Nutslots thread - I just didn’t feel I had the patience to go through the whole process of doing a double neck.

I did look at the idea of doing a bass/guitar thing using necks and pieces of hardware I had laying around, but just didn’t feel it did justice to the whole concept. Somehow the Route 66 thing had to have some sort of identity.

I’ll post another pic soon of part of the inspiration, which should actually become part of this build. ;)

11. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

So glad to see you in! :D And I love the project idea, very American lol. Though I'm sure it will be killer my GMP artist brain says you had the body proportions correct already,I liked it better before you shrank it lol :) but don't mind me,carry on! :lol:

Dave

Macrogats likes this.
  12. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

That looks awesome!!

Macrogats and crazydave911 like this.
  13. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

Very cool!

14. betocool

betocool Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

That's gonna be one cool lookin' guitar bro!

Cheers,

Alberto

15. wadeeinkauf

wadeeinkauf Tele-Holic

That's what I'm talking ABOUT!
    I think when you finish this you will be "getting your kicks on Route 66"! Wonder if I could convince my wife to get a route 66 tattoo. My mind scares me sometimes.

Here is the “charming deviationists” doing their thing.

When I saw your BarbyCaster I thought wow, what a cool name then I realized I was thinking of BarbieCaster. Yours is still a cool name though.

Wade, home alone in California

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
  16. rrobbone

rrobbone Tele-Meister

I love graphics on guitars, so naturally I like this idea. Any plans yet for what finish option the top will be getting?

crazydave911 and Macrogats like this.
  17. Macrogats

Cheers for the nice comments everyone. I’ll have some updates later today.

I’m thinking pretty much a natural oil rubbed finish over the whole thing, so the top won’t change much. Possibly a light poly type finish over that, but need to do some experimenting with scrap.

I’m not adverse to leaving any slight ding marks and edge chips to start it on its path to that “road worn” look. :twisted:

18. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

Way cool :)

Macrogats likes this.
  19. paulmarr

paulmarr Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I have always liked theme based guitars and cars ... this one is so appropriate! Please proceed!

20. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Wow, super cool. Welcome to the brotherhood!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.