1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

MacKenzie & Marr

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by Chicago Matt, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

I've been thinking about a solid wood 00 size "parlor" guitar for awhile and found this great sounding demo online. They seem to have many other models as well. Do any of you have experience with MacKenzie & Marr guitars? Thanks in advance...

2. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

Interestingly I mostly keep my mahogany double ought in open D - it just seems happy that way. I don't however consider 00 a "parlor", I think the break point is more like a single ought.

I have no experience with the brand. I think you will be happy with the size, however as with any guitar purchase you should definitely play it before buying.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    Chicago Matt likes this.
  3. Freeman Keller

I will add a couple more thoughts. The MacKenzie & Marr looks like a heck of a deal. I can hardly buy the wood for what they are are charging. That said, never buy a guitar that you haven't played. I love small body guitars, I have a closet full of them and two dreadnaughts that sit unplayed in the basement. That said their voice may or may not be what you are looking for. Most double oughts will be 12 frets clear and most will have fairly wide fretboards - again, make sure you like that. Small guitars can be amazingly loud, they tend to project very well if they are lightly built. They are great guitars for blues and roots music, I play a lot of slide on mine.

I think double ought is the perfect compromise between a full sized (dread, OM, jumbo) and true parlor guitars - for many people the voice of a parlor just doesn't live up to expectations (we are too used to hearing big guitars)

Here is my ought family, more or less following Martin's sizing

IMG_5636.JPG

Single ought ("parlor") on the left, mahogany double, sitka triple. All 12 fretters, slightly different scales. Very different voices.

Chicago Matt likes this.
  4. Dukex

Dukex Tele-Afflicted

In this case I tend to agree. Not so much in other cases.

OP, I googled this maker and found several threads over at AGF that may help.

Good luck!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
  5. Freeman Keller

Well, lets see. That guitar either costs 2400 Canadian if you buy it retail or 700 US if you buy it from the builder (interesting markup, eh?). That really isn't a lot of money in the guitar world, but I don't have it in spare change. This is a builder that I've never heard of and small bodied guitars are not everyone's cup of tea. It has the wide fretboard that I like but more radius than I put on the ones I build. I prefer gloss finishes.....

I'll add that actually, I almost never play a guitar before I acquire it - I build all mine. I do have a pretty good idea of what its going to sound like and I have the ability to influence that. I build neck profiles and fretboards that I like and once again, I can change it if I don't. I'm rarely disappointed.

I also see that you edited your post...

6. Dukex

Dukex Tele-Afflicted

Well, I see you responded to my original post some time after I changed it. But since you did, why didn't you simply answer my question regarding your declaration...never buy a guitar that you haven't played...? Because so far you haven't.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.