Machines that just don't work that great.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by dented, Sep 25, 2021.

1. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I have an Echo I have been using for ten years. It works great.

2. DjimiWrey

DjimiWrey Tele-Holic

Every time we get those packaged half sliced bagels you can never get them apart neatly. They always tear into chunks and won't separate. Why slice them at all? We always have to use a knife. No bakeries close by so we buy those. But I have never understood why they can't make a better slicer. If it is to protect freshness that's BS.

What other machines/inventions don't really work that good?[/QUOTE]

and here i was hoping for advice to help me avoid crappy tuning machines.

dented likes this.
  3. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

We got an expensive hedge trimmer that probably couldn’t cut dry uncooked spaghetti. Carried it the mechanic who said it was working like it should. After three months I hung it on the wall where it lived for the next few years. I finally took it to the bin site with s note that read, “works but sucks”. It was gone an hour later

mexicanyella and dented like this.
  4. Hamstein

Hamstein Tele-Meister

Yeah those things are rubbish - always leave little bits of cork in my bottle of burgundy.:mad:

dented, Sparky2 and Peegoo like this.
  5. Peegoo

Peegoo Doctor of Teleocity

Gibson Deluxe tuning machines. The chrome plating looks beautiful but it hides the cheepnis underneath.

They work fine until they take even a light bump, and the staked 'rivets' (pins, actually) that hold the cast pot-metal cover onto the mounting plate break and the tuner falls apart. There is absolutely no fix for this if you're out on a gig. It happened to me. Since then, I've bought brand-new Gibson guitars and replacement tuners for them on the same day.

These tuners are pretty junky.

[​IMG]

Stamped steel tuners are the way to go, and they're a direct replacement with no permanent modifications. They're even available with the plastic keystone buttons in all kinds of colors.

dented likes this.
  6. Addnine

Addnine Tele-Holic

Yep. I bought a 4-stroke Honda this summer: so far so good. I pretty have unbounded faith in all things Honda. I lived off-grid for 8 years. We had a Honda generator which we abused mercilessly. I felt guilty one day and decided to adjust its valves by way of penitence. They were perfect. I should have known.

mexicanyella likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.