Machines that just don't work that great.

Recce

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I was on a kick of rescuing dumpster string trimmers for several years, because I like two-stroke engines. I ended up with a bunch of them, all box-store brands, which worked okay because at least two or three ran at any given time. But I (try to) maintain about 16 acres in two parcels and put a lot of trimmer time in, and eventually my luck ran out with that “fleet.”

We bought a $350 Redmax, and got a $300 Husqvarna as part of a mower purchase package deal. Both have the “strato-charged” two stroke engines, which are intended to reduce emissions and save fuel
By not letting as much unburned fuel mix escape out the exhaust port. So far they have been easy to start and good runners, with waaay better fit and finish than the box store brands I was “collecting.”

However the strato-charged engine in the chainsaw I posted earlier in this thread has been a finicky pain in the ass to tune, and I’m sore about it because before strato engines came along, I thought I knew lean from rich and was always able to keep two-strokes in a sharp state of tune. Apparently that Poulan saw gives the user a choice of “blubbery slug” or “piston seizure.”

(Early onset senility might be another option; hope not)
I have an Echo I have been using for ten years. It works great.

DjimiWrey

Tele-Holic
Every time we get those packaged half sliced bagels you can never get them apart neatly. They always tear into chunks and won't separate. Why slice them at all? We always have to use a knife. No bakeries close by so we buy those. But I have never understood why they can't make a better slicer. If it is to protect freshness that's BS.

What other machines/inventions don't really work that good?[/QUOTE]

and here i was hoping for advice to help me avoid crappy tuning machines.

stxrus

Doctor of Teleocity
We got an expensive hedge trimmer that probably couldn’t cut dry uncooked spaghetti. Carried it the mechanic who said it was working like it should. After three months I hung it on the wall where it lived for the next few years. I finally took it to the bin site with s note that read, “works but sucks”. It was gone an hour later

Hamstein

Tele-Holic
56257_W3.jpg

Yeah those things are rubbish - always leave little bits of cork in my bottle of burgundy.:mad:

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
Gibson Deluxe tuning machines. The chrome plating looks beautiful but it hides the cheepnis underneath.

They work fine until they take even a light bump, and the staked 'rivets' (pins, actually) that hold the cast pot-metal cover onto the mounting plate break and the tuner falls apart. There is absolutely no fix for this if you're out on a gig. It happened to me. Since then, I've bought brand-new Gibson guitars and replacement tuners for them on the same day.

These tuners are pretty junky.

Gibson-Deluxe-Tuners.jpg

Stamped steel tuners are the way to go, and they're a direct replacement with no permanent modifications. They're even available with the plastic keystone buttons in all kinds of colors.

Addnine

Tele-Afflicted
I was on a kick of rescuing dumpster string trimmers for several years, because I like two-stroke engines. I ended up with a bunch of them, all box-store brands, which worked okay because at least two or three ran at any given time. But I (try to) maintain about 16 acres in two parcels and put a lot of trimmer time in, and eventually my luck ran out with that “fleet.”

We bought a $350 Redmax, and got a $300 Husqvarna as part of a mower purchase package deal. Both have the “strato-charged” two stroke engines, which are intended to reduce emissions and save fuel
By not letting as much unburned fuel mix escape out the exhaust port. So far they have been easy to start and good runners, with waaay better fit and finish than the box store brands I was “collecting.”

However the strato-charged engine in the chainsaw I posted earlier in this thread has been a finicky pain in the ass to tune, and I’m sore about it because before strato engines came along, I thought I knew lean from rich and was always able to keep two-strokes in a sharp state of tune. Apparently that Poulan saw gives the user a choice of “blubbery slug” or “piston seizure.”

(Early onset senility might be another option; hope not)

Yep. I bought a 4-stroke Honda this summer: so far so good. I pretty have unbounded faith in all things Honda. I lived off-grid for 8 years. We had a Honda generator which we abused mercilessly. I felt guilty one day and decided to adjust its valves by way of penitence. They were perfect. I should have known.