Machines that just don't work that great.

StoneH

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Another home made tool. The tip is an allen wrench. I just used it to set the saddles on my Strat, but that is not what I created it for.
upload_2021-9-25_13-10-39.png

StoneH

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Soldering irons. No matter how much solder I use, the joint does not last long. I've been trying to make cold joints, but those don't work long at all. I've gone through dozens of soldering irons, none of which work right.

This is the best soldering iron I have ever used . . . and it still isn't perfect.
upload_2021-9-25_13-31-2.png

Addnine

Tele-Afflicted
String trimmers, now that the rabid, know-nothing environmentlists sucking at the federal trough are designing the engines.

Addnine

Tele-Afflicted
Since we're onto bad vehicles. The worst one I ever had was a Mazda B2200 pickup. I used it as an actual pickup, and that ruined it within a year. Apparently it was built to serve a purely decorative function, ugly though it was. I had a Dodge Dakota once too: nearly as bad. My old Jag broke down all the time (They're British), but it was charming as heck, which counts for a lot.

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
Factory bagel slicer = crap

Every time we get those packaged half sliced bagels you can never get them apart neatly. They always tear into chunks and won't separate. Why slice them at all? We always have to use a knife. No bakeries close by so we buy those. But I have never understood why they can't make a better slicer. If it is to protect freshness that's BS.

Get one of these.

Pro Tip: keep your fingies out of the hole when you press down on the cutty thing.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08C35QLK4/

Hmmm...it appears the lawyers got involved in the design! This newer version has a clear plastic Dummy Guard to help dummies retain their digits.

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
String trimmers, now that the rabid, know-nothing environmentlists sucking at the federal trough are designing the engines.

I was on a kick of rescuing dumpster string trimmers for several years, because I like two-stroke engines. I ended up with a bunch of them, all box-store brands, which worked okay because at least two or three ran at any given time. But I (try to) maintain about 16 acres in two parcels and put a lot of trimmer time in, and eventually my luck ran out with that “fleet.”

We bought a $350 Redmax, and got a $300 Husqvarna as part of a mower purchase package deal. Both have the “strato-charged” two stroke engines, which are intended to reduce emissions and save fuel
By not letting as much unburned fuel mix escape out the exhaust port. So far they have been easy to start and good runners, with waaay better fit and finish than the box store brands I was “collecting.”

However the strato-charged engine in the chainsaw I posted earlier in this thread has been a finicky pain in the ass to tune, and I’m sore about it because before strato engines came along, I thought I knew lean from rich and was always able to keep two-strokes in a sharp state of tune. Apparently that Poulan saw gives the user a choice of “blubbery slug” or “piston seizure.”

(Early onset senility might be another option; hope not)

OmegaWoods

Tele-Afflicted
My POS side by side Maytag french door refrigerator. Bought it five or six years ago. No lights on the control panel. Replaced control board. Still no lights. At this moment it's a 2k boat anchor.

My grandparents had the same fridge for 40 year. They both passed away before it did.