Machines that just don't work that great.

dented

Doctor of Teleocity
Gold Supporter
Factory bagel slicer = crap

Every time we get those packaged half sliced bagels you can never get them apart neatly. They always tear into chunks and won't separate. Why slice them at all? We always have to use a knife. No bakeries close by so we buy those. But I have never understood why they can't make a better slicer. If it is to protect freshness that's BS.

What other machines/inventions don't really work that good?

Obsessed

Telefied
Silver Supporter
My sister and BIL (city folks) bought me this manual log splitter to use instead of an axe and had this beast shipped to me about 15 years ago. I used it for about 15 minutes at the most. You have to step on it repeatedly a bazillion times just to split one round. It would probably take me a normal work week … year ‘round to split enough wood for just one winter. Biggest boat anchor I have ever seen.
1166B0DB-3785-40E6-A6BB-F4177F0EDC9B.jpeg

StoneH

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter

Every time we get those packaged half sliced bagels you can never get them apart neatly. They always tear into chunks and won't separate. Why slice them at all? We always have to use a knife. No bakeries close by so we buy those. But I have never understood why they can't make a better slicer. If it is to protect freshness that's BS.

The keyless chucks on all three of my DeWalt cordless drills loosen up after a couple of minutes of use. I've used cordless drills since they were invented and never had that problem.

61fury

Friend of Leo's

With Lenders bagels often you can twist them apart. Sometimes I have to use a knife. Similar problem with the "fork split" Thomas English muffins, why haven't they invested in a new fork splitting machine after all these years?

985plowboy

Poster Extraordinaire
I bought a time machine off a dude on Craigslist. We met in the piggly wiggly parking lot one afternoon and he helped me get it out of his van and into my truck.
It looks like a regular rocking chair and I guess it works but I can’t find fast forward or reverse.
It only works in low gear meaning, for every hour you rock you only go an hour into the future.
Oh well.
Maybe I’ll have better luck with the wormhole generator I’m bidding up on eBay.

tap4154

Doctor of Teleocity
The keyless chucks on all three of my DeWalt cordless drills loosen up after a couple of minutes of use. I've used cordless drills since they were invented and never had that problem.

I've used keyless chucks for decades, and I'll take them over a key chuck even though I have to constantly retighten them. Besides it helps build calluses and strength on my fretting hand holding that chuck to tighten it, as I hit the drill trigger :cool:

By the way another interesting thing that happens is if you use a double-ended Phillips driver bit, eventually it will loosen the screw that holds the chuck on. If you suddenly can't tighten the chuck down, the screw has probably backed off enough that it's interfering with the mechanism. You just have to turn the screw counterclockwise to tighten it back up.

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
There’s a thread still going, If I could turn back time (muscle car content). A very is a machine, right, at least as I learned about machines in my physics classes. None of them work very well. They accelerate fast in a straight line but don’t try to turn or stop one. Compared with a modern automobile, they’re pugs dressed as wolves. A modern car wins every time.
0EE36F58-D913-4CCA-97DF-10EE0BFBEC5F.jpeg

StoneH

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I've used keyless chucks for decades, and I'll take them over a key chuck even though I have to constantly retighten them. Besides it helps build calluses and strength on my fretting hand holding that chuck to tighten it, as I hit the drill trigger :cool:

By the way another interesting thing that happens is if you use a double-ended Phillips driver bit, eventually it will loosen the screw that holds the chuck on. If you suddenly can't tighten the chuck down, the screw has probably backed off enough that it's interfering with the mechanism. You just have to turn the screw counterclockwise to tighten it back up.

Thanks. Good to know.

I give myself friction burns holding onto the DeWalt chucks.

oldunc

Friend of Leo's
Yeah, I would say that will be better at "rotating the operator" than digging the hole........

I've used those and they work quite well. There is a lot of torque and it can be a problem if it jams; you need to be ready for it. Same is true for any large drill- I knew a guy who broke his elbow using a Hole Hog. As I recall (it's been a long time) they're generally operated by two people.

StoneH

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
There’s a thread still going, If I could turn back time (muscle car content). A very is a machine, right, at least as I learned about machines in my physics classes. None of them work very well. They accelerate fast in a straight line but don’t try to turn or stop one. Compared with a modern automobile, they’re pugs dressed as wolves. A modern car wins every time.
View attachment 902613

Admittedly, I haven't driven another sportscar in 23 years, but my '98 Z3 handled like a dream. Even if I hadn't told you the date, you could tell by looking at my wife's hair.

z3.png

Zoso420

Tele-Holic
View attachment 902613
Yep a camry is as fast as those old muscle cars

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
This little Honda four-stroke tiller is actually pretty handy for as small as it is, but I hit a rock and munched the worm drive to the tines, and to repair it involves buying a $180 drivetrain kit.

D5A0B353-2837-4B90-86F9-00BC391B76BD.jpeg

This Poulan 5020AV saw seemed like a good idea; 95% of the time my smaller 16” saw is all I need, and this was to be for the occasional larger tree job. It started easily and ran well, but the super boingy anti-vibe springs allow so much handle travel that it affects throttle opening. You really don’t want trigger-to-throttle relationships to change, mid-cut, because you changed the cut angle a little.

Then I tweaked the carb a little lean and scored the piston. Parts are super cheap for these so I’ll probably fix it and give it another chance.

373EFB74-EF15-45AF-BACA-FB473C8A8F21.jpeg