MacBook Air M1 & GB

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by burtf51, Jul 23, 2021.

1. burtf51

burtf51 Tele-Afflicted

Got a question as I'm not very tech savvy...be 70 in a few weeks and haven't even messed with any home recording in years. Bought a MacBook Air M1 and got a Scarlett Solo Studio interface for I had nothing. I'm a retired home player so I'll just be recording some things for my own enjoyment, nothing major for sure.

When or if I need to free up storage space on my MacBook how or can I move a GB song project to iCloud or Google drive easily and then delete the file on my MacBook wherever they reside there to free up storage space. I have plenty of space on each cloud service and then can I export project song back into GB if I wanted to work any more on the song project.

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. Zoso420

Zoso420 Tele-Meister

That should work or just get a cheap thumb drive 32 gigs for under 10 bucks and use that

burtf51 and nojazzhere like this.
  3. burtf51

burtf51 Tele-Afflicted

cool I'll have to do some looking around as I haven't even had a chance to see where anything is located in GB. Only had the Air a few days. I recorded a few things back in 2009 on my old iMac GB and what's new today is old tomorrow ha

4. no doz

no doz Tele-Meister

to find your garageband file:
    open a new finder window, click the users folder, select yourself, select the music folder, select the garageband folder. it should be in there under the title you saved it as

to upload it to the cloud:
    type either icloud drive or google drive into the search bar, select it to open it up, and then click and drag your garageband file onto it

the thumbdrive option is easy too! you plug it into your computer and an icon will appear on the desktop. you can click and drag your GB project onto it, then click and drag your GB file down to the trashcan to free up computer space. that's how i store my recording files personally

burtf51 likes this.
  5. Tuneup

Tuneup Tele-Holic

use an external drive as well, that way you can back up the macbook with your Timemachine.

burtf51 likes this.
  6. burtf51

burtf51 Tele-Afflicted

tks for the help folks and I need it! Anyone familiar with the Scarlett Solo, it suppose to work fine with the Air. Do I have to download anything with the interface?

no doz likes this.
  7. no doz

no doz Tele-Meister

it's been a while since i've had a focusrite, but i believe your scarlett should work outright without any additional downloads. you may need to go into the garageband settings and select it as the input / output device, but that may happen automatically when you hook it up

focusrite gives you a few software freebies along with your interface that are worth downloading. they're plugins that you can use inside garageband on your audio. compressors, EQ , saturation, reverb / etc.

burtf51 likes this.
  8. burtf51

burtf51 Tele-Afflicted

tks a lot, so I guess that's what Focusrite is referring to as the mixer?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.