1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Mac vs PC ?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by fendrguitplayr, Jan 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J-man

J-man Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    That's more to do with specs of the computer and the amount of extra crap people have set to run automatically.

My PC goes from off to fully functional in under 30 seconds.

2. abracadabra

abracadabra Tele-Meister

and regarding software, as has been said, you get a lot of cool stuff with the Mac but, and YMMV, you may find Safari is a little poor. I'd get Firefox or something else (free).

also, you don't get any office-type stuff with the Mac, but you can download OpenOffice for free, which works great.

3. BritishBluesBoy

BritishBluesBoy Former Member

Buy a Mac. PC's are just plain boring.

4. J-man

Admin Post
    Both are exactly as interesting as you make them, no more, no less.

5. abracadabra

abracadabra Tele-Meister

ah ok, tbh I did wonder that, although I should say that in my experience PCs do run a lot slower out of the box, so if you have to go around turning off random applications that are set to run that's something you don't have to do with a Mac, it works properly without doing all that maintenance.

6. purpletele

purpletele Friend of Leo's

This isn't actually true with HP. I've had nothing but good experiences with their customer support including having replacement parts at my door next day.

I think the Mac vs' PC thing is no different than the Fender vs. Gibson thing. Some people swear by both, some people even go as far as brand elitism and some people just don't care and own both.

7. BritishBluesBoy

BritishBluesBoy Former Member

Oh come on now, you know that's just not true ;)

8. J-man

Admin Post
    Again, specs. Because there's such a huge variety of Windows machines being made by so many companies, the specs vary drastically and figuring out the good from the bad can be somewhat confusing, if you don't know how to interpret the specs. Because of this a lot of people end up with a machine that's holding them back in one or more ways specwise. All Macs are spec'd by Apple and the limited options mean this isn't an issue - all Macs are created equal. (within the same generation, model etc)

The fact is, PCs can be lightning fast - far faster than any production Mac, if you have the right combination of specs, or they can be a slow piece of crap. There's nothing inherent to either that makes it run at a certain speed.

9. Hack On Wheels

Hack On Wheels Tele-Meister

I use a Mac and (natively) run OSX and Windows XP. I also have Windows 7 via Parallels in OSX. This is all on a 3 year old 17" MBP (laptop); I've upgraded the hard drive and RAM (and I would like to reiterate the suggestion to buy aftermarket RAM upgrades!) but I'm still on a 2.5 GHz Core 2 Duo processor.

I've carried it around to school, had it in a backpack while biking, taken it on roadtrips, and knocked it off a table. I did manage to slightly warp the housing, but it's doing much better than my Toshiba laptop that was running great for about 3 years, but physically fell apart. It lost the "skid pads" on the bottom fairly quickly, but it has been very solid apart from that.

I've helped family and friends find computers and, while testing many laptops, I found that the overall physical feel and the keyboard feel of the Mac laptops were much better suited to my tastes. There are pros and cons, but I love the flexibility of my Mac.

I can edit movies and do all my media/day-to-day/MS Office/etc. on OSX and then I have Windows XP and 7 for doing school/engineering projects/programming/gaming/etc. The only downside is that software for multiple operating systems isn't cheap, and a large hard drive is very important as I end up with redundant files and programs between the operating systems.

10. Swingbass

Swingbass Tele-Meister

My wife who is non technical after using Vista for a while told me last year to not ever buy another Windows machine again. She was so frustrated with it. I bought her a MacBook Pro at Best Buy for Christmas for about $1100.00. It took her a bitto get used to it but now loves it. The human interface is far superior to any Windows machine I've seen. Maybe Windows 8 will work.

In my family I now have eldest son 29 YO all Mac, Daughter 26 YO ipad2/iphonefor personal use but PC notebook for biz, youngest son LINUX or some other thing. He's a programmer techno junkie. Me, I have to use PC as biz issue. I hate my Lenovo with Windows 7. There are so many programs I have to run in XP mode for them to work. Again, maybe (fingers crossed) Windows 8 will take care of it.

Bottom line: If you have the pockets get a MacBook Pro. It is a wonderful machine.

11. Jimclarke100

Jimclarke100 Tele-Afflicted

I use a PC all day at work, but prefer Macs and use a Mac at home. To be honest in terms of function for what I use them for there isn't a whole bunch of difference (now). The Mac just seems to me to be better quality. My last Macbook lasted me 8 years (and still runs just fine if a little slow) - I don't think too many of the cheap Windows based laptops would last that long - my current work Dell is 18 months old and has already had a hard drive failure - as have four colleagues that i am aware of.

12. J-man

Admin Post

Apple don't make their own HDDs, they use common model/brand HDDs that can be found in any number of other brand's computers.. The same goes for a lot of the hardware found in Macs.

13. purpletele

purpletele Friend of Leo's

If you take care of them PCs can last just as long as Macs.

The reason I point it out is because these are the types of statements that fuel the mac is better bias

I bought an HP Mini four years ago because it was inexpensive and convenient. It runs as good as the day I bought it. My best friend has a really nice Dell XPS that dies about once a month. he uses it mostly for downloading questionable things, so small wonder. I had to use the school IMACS at WVU and they were AWFUL. Three or four hours into my work and Photoshop would crash and save whatever it wanted. I put PhotoShop on my HP Mini and it runs great. That defies logic. I don't think that means MACS suck, the school ones just got serious abuse. It doesn't prove PCs are superior either, just that the can be great computers.

If you do your research you'll learn that there are computers that aren't Macs that are made just as well as Macs. That doesn't mean not to buy a Mac either. The PCs are junk/ mac is cooler is marketing hype though. Computers are only as good as the user anyway.

14. ledet

ledet Tele-Holic

Macs are generally longer lasting in terms of performance. Windows PCs always seem to come with a lot of more or less useless programs like HP image viewer and a huge Acer pack for "improving performance".
    All these forced applications seem to do is slow the computer down and being annoying. Exactly the slow and annoying part is what most people experience with their PCs over time - tons of files and unused programs fill up the space and Windows is very bad at coping with this so over time it just goes slower and slower.
    A Mac comes with everything needed, no slow third party apps, and all software is tailored for the specific hardware used, as opposed to the Windows machines which all have different hardware. The beauty of Macs are the way they just work - the software is smooth and nice and keeps performing for years with little maintenance, and the hardware is comfortable, pretty and feels very solid.
    If you still want Windows for some tasks you can dual boot the two OSs with BootCamp or you can run a virtual Windows PC with VirtualBox. But a Mac can pretty much do anything a PC can nowadays, with the exception of gaming perhaps.

If your son is used to Macs you'll be able to ask him any questions about using it, and he can help you setting it up. You'll get used to it pretty quick. Macs are workhorses, like Teles - no nonsense, just works. :)

15. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

One of the BIG decisions factors for me was the bloatware on every PC out there. Best buy would take it all off for 100 bucks, but all they are doing is a clean install of win7 w/format....that isn't worth 100 bucks! Customers shouldn't have to pay for the kind of product that needs to be restored to original. and if it crashes and you have to do a recovery you get all that crap back again....That's just wrong. With my iMac I got only the iMac and nuthin else what a joy.....

16. cjburr

cjburr Tele-Meister

I'm not sure you understand what the cloud can do for you. My girls both have 8GB iPod Touch and through the cloud they can access my iTunes library of over 200GB and download whatever they want to hear at the moment without the need for more storage(i.e. more expensive) on their iPods.

They also have access to all the apps we have downloaded there and I'm able to see the pictures they take as soon as they sync with the cloud at home and I'm here in Afghanistan.

All my MacBook Pro laptops, iMac, iPhones & iPods all sync with each other and I'm able to buy the lower storage capacity models, use the cloud to put what I/they need for the moment on whatever device needs it and save myself some money.

That being said about the storage available to you on the cloud it is a wise move to also backup your system on a separate drive and doing that on a MAc is very, very easy using the Time Machine app that comes standard with the Mac.

I used PC's exclusively till I had to go to Afghanistan and purchased my 1st Mackbook Pro to take with me over here. It has performed admirably without a single problem and my wife who is not a computer person at all loves the iMac and the MacBook Pro I got for her to replace the PC at the house as she had nothing but problems using the PC. It wasn't that the PC was broken she just never felt comfortable about all the security updates it was always telling her to download. She was afraid of downloading a virus by mistake and losing contact with me.

PC's are fine but I won't be going back as the human interface, ease of use, and security(for the moment) of the Mac system has won me over.

17. J-man

Admin Post
    While it's true that Windows machines often come with pre-installed crappy software, it takes all of 5-10 minutes to get rid of it! Just open add/remove programs and uninstall as necessary.

18. gptco

gptco Tele-Meister

I've used PC's but converted to Mac years ans years ago.
    Love the ease of use and all the other things, etc.
    BUT, if you have PC software for music graphics etc, check to make sure
    It works with the newest Mac OS or whatever version of Windows you would use on both the Mac and PC.
    You don't want to have to replace bot the hardware and software!

19. Freejack

Freejack Friend of Leo's

My wife's not a power user. She's moved between several laptops over the years. The last one she got was a Dell with Vista pre-installed. Like Swingbass, my wife said "never again" and bought herself an iPad2. It works for about 95% of what she normally wants to do and she uses my system for the rest.

Personally, I've been on computers since 1979. My first one was a Sinclair with 2 kilobytes of RAM. I've used DOS since IBM PC DOS 1.0 on an IBM PC, installed and built many many systems over the years. I do like to build my own machines; my latest is a dual video card (Radeon) system with four monitors, 8 gigs of ram and a Dual core Intel (built in 2008). The problem with it are the Radeons (the Diamond MM branded ones) are just crap. I get blue screens almost daily when powering the system up from their horribly bad drivers; bad enough that I'm afraid to upgrade due to all the crap I've had to deal with when trying to get it working and having to back-rev and once even wipe the system and reinstall. My main problem is that I generally don't have the $5,000 to plunk down on a Mac Desktop that I really want. I may just go with a payment plan here soon. My Windows box has been getting worse with the failed startups, yesterday having to do a disk scan to come up. Good thing I have backups.

My Mac Powerbook G4 that I bought in 2004 is still running fine and I was issued a MacBook Pro here at work.

With the purchase of the Xbox360 for Rocksmith, I may have just broken myself free from Windows (as far as desktops are concerned) and will likely be getting a Mac for my next desktop.

Carl

20. jmaul

jmaul Tele-Afflicted

I like windows 7 a lot, but I like my Macs, which I use at home. I use XP at work.

Apple makes good products that last a long time, have a great design, and are very good at getting out of your way from a user perspective.

Only you can decide if that is worth the premium on price. A good windows 7 machine will do anything you want and cost less. It also will look worse in your home, be more prone to hardware failure, viruses, and crashes. It also will not be as easy as taking it down to the apple store to get it running well again if something does go wrong. Lastly, after your PC has passed its useful life to you, it will be worth less on Craigslist or ebay.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.