Mac vs PC ?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by fendrguitplayr, Jan 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J-man

J-man Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    If you do go Apple, DO NOT pay Apple for upgraded memory, they charge an arm and a leg for something that is a lot cheaper to buy elsewhere and very easy to fit yourself. And no, the memory they give you is not different than that you can order anywhere else.

2. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

I have just got a new iMac.Is there anything cooler on this planet ?.I agree the Mini is good deal . ..My last Emac G4 was bought years ago and is still working fine .A pity dual core came along to force an upgrade really though the quad core is so quick compared to a overloaded G4.

3. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

+1 on the iMac...I went round and round for a few months and settled on a iMac....I'm stoked. The money thing for an equal pc? there is only a couple hundred bucks at most if that...plus the all in one big screen wireless kbd and touchpad......NO cables to speak of cluttering everything up = very elegant machine. No real virus threat and easy to deal with if you need. Graphics and sound can't be beat.

4. bendecaster

bendecaster Friend of Leo's

Apple for me! I bought a little student ibook G4 in '03 that, yes, is too slow today and the charger cable is wasted due to my abuse that cost $900. I also have a desk top G4 that I picked up on CL about 5 years ago for $125. It also is slow, but still does the menial stuff I need.

How many folks have a laptop, or any computer that's 9 years old that still works at all?

When I get my income tax refund check, I'm going down to the Apple store to get a 15" MacBook Pro Quad core and I'm sure it'll be worth the $1700 I drop on it.

My only complaint about Mac's is they don't accept cash at their stores. Seems kinda strange.

5. Delta Blues

Delta Blues Tele-Afflicted

I used PCs for years. As a computer technician, I have made tons of money over the years working on Windows products and thanks to the release of Windows 7 will continue to do so. My personal computer is a Mac. It never gives any problems. YMMV.

6. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I have both A PC for home and a iMac to record on. The PC is starting the normal slow death after about 6 years so I've been using the Mac for just my everyday basic stuff for about a year, My conclusion I've bought my last PC. The Mac very fast and one of the biggest things you don't get all that unwanted, unneeded stuff that come with your PC. I should say I'm not a computer guy at all but the whole Mac format is just better system.

7. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

That's good to hear from a tech!

8. malonius

malonius TDPRI Member

This is a regular debating issue and crops up from time to time.

I changed to Mac in 2007 and will not go back to PC. I think Apple are forward thinking and their marketing strategies are very shrewd. Their market share is huge now, therefore the argument about volume of sales is balancing out. They often set the standard for others to follow regarding operating systems. For example Mac OSX appeared then soon after Microsoft's operating systems appeared and promptly copied all the user friendly parts of OS X.

The argument about cost is not as clear cut either. Sure PC's are cheaper, but have you seen the software that comes with it? Usually the unwanted rubbish that is going out of fashion. And you definitely need anti-virus software which normally costs you. PC's seem to me to be an amalgamation of parts put together in a cheap-labour factory, normally in the far east. The quality control is therefore not going to be of the highest standard in my opinion, because to do so would increase the cost and that would defeat the purpose.

Macs on the other hand are put together with apple authorised parts, which have been tested. Their R&D department is innovative, and they consider the environment by reducing the content of plastics and hydrocarbons. The hardware is modern and aesthetically attractive to most users. The bundled free software is totally useable - iPhoto, safari, iMovie and GarageBand ( a FREE but very respectable recording application in its own right).
    If you got that type of good quality software with the PC, you'd have to pay for it, adding to your purchase costs. Of course there are also all the advantages of moving into the apple family and incorporating the ease of use and inter-operability of your current apple devices for seamless transitions.

Personal choice, but in the long run, whilst you may spend a little more than you would on a PC, it's worth it, in my opinion... Then again, I am biased because I've got one. But the very fact that I don't have to wait for 10 minutes for my anti-virus software to kick in before I am able to use it is worth it on its own...

9. Delta Blues

Delta Blues Tele-Afflicted

Tech, Sys Admin and Web Master actually. My company puts out over 20,000 computers a year to be used in the entertainment industry.

10. allen st. john

allen st. john Friend of Leo's

If you've got an Ipad and Iphone, you'll be happy with a Mac.
    My Macs have been very robust machines, well worth the extra money since I'm my own IT guy.
    FWIW, I've saved a little money by buying refurbs at the online Apple Store.
    I've bought four laptops and a desktop this way and I've never been disappointed.

11. vtcyclist

vtcyclist Tele-Afflicted

Ford v Chevy
    Toyota v Honda
    Pepsi v Coke
    Telecaster v Stratocaster
    Fender v Gibson
    Martin v Taylor

After using and loving the original Macintosh (Hello!) in 1984 as a computer science student, I used Microsoft OS based PCs up till 2 years ago. We now have 2 Macs (desktop/laptop) in the house and I'm wondering why it took me 24 years to find my way back. Not to mention wondering where the 24 years went.

My advice is go with the Apple product.

12. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

if i had the money, i'd go Apple ... my computer of the moment is an old Compaq desktop ... a dumpster find ... i replaced the bad hard drive and installed Ubuntu Linux OS ... i have more RAM on order ... computers are like guitars ... once you learn to fix them or build them yourself, you can save lots of money (to piss away on other stuff)

13. Nighthawk

Nighthawk Friend of Leo's

I'd go for a PAC myself.

If you don't like things technical, get a Mac... If you don't mind being somewhat closer to the technical aspects of a machine, then it doesn't really matter what you pick, you'll be fine either way.

I did not read the posts above but I am sure there is a battle raging and Mac is no doubt winning. However, I am here to tell you that all those distinctions boil down to what I said. Yeah, that and you will pay decidedly more for the Mac and not really for any good reason but there you have it. All done. Good luck.

14. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Good point, I wasn't aware that they sold reburbs right from the AS.
    Thanks for all your opinions and pros vs cons - much appreciated!

15. Telesavalis

Telesavalis Friend of Leo's

iMac - if you need a desktop computer. If you can work with flashdrive technology then Mac Air. Mac Book is also a great choice for a notebook computer. Power Mac if you need higher processing power for graphics or audio/video applications.

I have both iMac and Power Mac. I use the iMac for office work and media storage and the Power Mac for Pro Tools editing.

16. Ian

Ian Tele-Afflicted

MAC.

17. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Afflicted

I struggled with this last year when I was in the market for a new laptop - ended up with a Macbook Pro 13". The price difference isn't as great as it used to be, especially when you consider software. For instance, for my purposes iWork ($79) does everything that Office Pro ($349) does.

The difference in quality though is noticeable. IMHO, Apple products are just better - they feel better - they work better - they look better.

18. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

Most of the PC's I have worked on are forever having a McGuffey pop up tell me my computer is not secure .My daughters new HP is doing it all the time .Never had this with a mac,we just get free security upgrades .Seems like a great trick ,sell a cheap computer then keep coughing up for add ons .

19. Gilamnstr

Gilamnstr Tele-Afflicted

I owned PCs since the MS-DOS days - first PC was an 8086 with 1 meg of RAM and a 10MB hard drive, running MS-DOS 3.3. I upgraded and eventually built several of my own and others for friends, and was the 'go-to' guy amongst my friends for troubleshooting hardware/software problems. I switched to Macs when the nightmare called Windows Vista came along, and even though I was a PC guy for almost 20 years, I'll never go back.

I'll readily admit that I'm nowhere near as proficient at troubleshooting hardware/software issues on Macs as I was on PCs - biggest reason being that I haven't had to do it! Sure, I've had the occasional software glitch, but it's usually as simple as going in and doing a "repair permissions" and everything is right back to normal. Other than that, all three of my Macs (20" iMac, Macbook and Macbook Pro) have plugged along with absolutely no hardware or software issues of any kind.

One of the chuckles I've had along the way was a few years ago when I bought my PreSonus Firebox. The manual had two pages of installation instructions for Windows machines - the instructions for Macs read something like "plug it in - your computer should recognize it. Now use it".

Another nice thing is that if you do need customer support somewhere along the line, Apple is very helpful and they will often repair/replace things even when you're beyond the warranty period. Compare that with many PC manufacturers who outsource their tech support halfway around the globe and have you speaking with somebody who you can barely understand and is simply reading from a script in front of them.

I haven't used Windows 7 - it may be a whole different world, but I'll never know. I'll gladly pay the premium for the quality of Apple computers because they work and they last.

20. abracadabra

abracadabra Tele-Meister

another thing, briefly mentioned above, is that Macs get up-and-running very quickly. I've owned several windows-based machines and they all take several minutes (at best) from cold to being usable. my Macbook takes less than 30 seconds.

regarding viruses, it is a common misconception that there are no viruses/malware for Macs, and as they become more popular they will be targeted more, but the risk is certainly lower. you could probably get away with no anti-virus if you're careful, but to be safe I downloaded Sophos (which is free) and it does occasionally catch stuff.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.