1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Capel, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Capel

Capel Tele-Holic

Anybody had experience with upgrading the guts of a Mac mini?? I'm looking to get one (to rack mount in my live rig to record on) & am wondering if it's cheeper for me to add extra ram & harddrive myself (built plenty of PCs so I'm not afraid of getting under the hood!!)

2. J-man

J-man Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Apple really overcharge for RAM, so I'd avoid paying them for the upgrade if at all possible.

3. cobrat

cobrat Tele-Holic

Only issue I have with the Mac Mini is that to save space, it uses laptop parts....hard drive, superdrive, and RAM. There's a premium to be paid for their small size to fit laptops.

4. howlin

howlin Tele-Afflicted

No, but I'd be interested in what you come up with.

5. Fred.T

Fred.T Tele-Meister

I did the RAM upgrade few years ago, using the much cheaper module I found over here. It was a notebook PC ram board I purchased, no issues ...
    I think I followed this:
    http://macminiramupgrade.com/
    Have an external 1TB disk so I left an original HD inside.

6. vjf1968

vjf1968 Poster Extraordinaire

When I got my IMac from Sweetwater I budgeted for memory and had them max out the RAM for a $60 upcharge. With the Mini your maximum is 8GB so whomever you buy it from, add in the cost of the memory and have them install it. You can always get an external drive on your own.

However if you got a Macbook and upgraded the memory you also have a monitor, and keyboard for one price instead of going the a la cart route with the Mini since is does not come with a monitor, mouse, or keyboard.

7. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

What components you need depend on exactly which mini you get. I have an other PPC mini, and it takes regular desktop parts.

I did upgrade the RAM on it, but watch out! I managed to break on of the wires to the on/off switch.

I was looking to replace it with something newer for various reasons, but I won't be replacing it with a mini. It used to be their entry level, but now I could buy a decent PC for what a new mini costs. Not worth it for me.

8. crackpot

crackpot Tele-Meister

I upgraded the RAM on a new Mini a few months ago. Cost was $45 for 8 GB and the process was dead simple, took about 5 minutes.

I've upgraded the RAM and the hard disc (several times -- 750 GB now) in an early 2009 Apple Mac mini (Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz DDR3). It wasn't so much difficult as nerve-wracking -- getting the case apart and dealing with the little screws and connections. I wouldn't recommend it to someone who hasn't worked on laptops.

Great little computers.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.