Mac mini and 4k monitor or iMac?

stephent2

Poster Extraordinaire
As others have written, don't buy a Mac w/ an Intel chip. So either a 24" iMac or the Mac mini. I upgraded end of last year to a MBP M1PRO 16" and a M1 Mac mini w/ LG27UK500-B for the studio,.. the M1 Mac mini is pretty sweet and for a $300 monitor the LG is hard to beat. I went w/ 16GB/1TB with both.

Jim_in_PA

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
The performance of the newest Mini's can be impressive so I think I'd actually opt for a loaded Mini plus the monitor setup of your choice. I use a 2019 15" MBP with two 27" Dell Ultrasharp monitors; one UHD and one 4K. I use the 4K side mostly for video viewing because, um...my eyes. The UHD is where I do most text based work because it's easier to see. LOL I got the MBP (my second) because at the time it was the better choice for me, being portable and all, because I was doing a lot of travel back and forth to Florida during the last years the 'rents were alive. Today, I'd opt for the Mini because my primary use is "stationary" and I have a 2014 Macbook Air available I could use for travel. The iMacs are very nice, but I'd not buy a 24" machine, personally.

Chud

Poster Extraordinaire
I’m almost at that point of decision as well. I run a 2011 Mac mini server version in my studio, and a 2012 Mac mini upstairs in my office. They both still run well and I can probably get another few years out of the 2011, and several more out of the 2012, but video rendering is painfully slow on the older one, and not much better on the other.

I’ll probably go the M1 mini route whenever I do switch over, and dedicate the 2011 to being a full time media server for the house. Though as I type this, I’m thinking about how nice a docked MacBook Pro would be for portability.

Digital Larry

Friend of Leo's
I went with a Mac Mini because I primarily use Windows computers and wanted to be able to use a KVM to save on desktop space.
I also have a Mac Mini, Windows PC, Linux multi-boot PC, NVidia Jetson Nano sharing two monitors. The Mac and Linux boxes are mostly for work. It's kind of a cluster* but works, as long as I don't lose my "who's on first" cheat sheet.

I was unable a couple years back to locate an HDMI KVM that worked properly and wasn't willing to pay $1000 for a rack mount. So I use HDMI to VGA adapters on a couple boxes in order to use a VGA KVM to monitor A while monitor B I switch between DP and HDMI inputs. The Windows box is the only one with dual video outs as I use it the most.

So... did you find an HDMI KVM that works?

ZenGuitarist

Tele-Afflicted
I also have a Mac Mini, Windows PC, Linux multi-boot PC, NVidia Jetson Nano sharing two monitors. The Mac and Linux boxes are mostly for work. It's kind of a cluster* but works, as long as I don't lose my "who's on first" cheat sheet.

I was unable a couple years back to locate an HDMI KVM that worked properly and wasn't willing to pay $1000 for a rack mount. So I use HDMI to VGA adapters on a couple boxes in order to use a VGA KVM to monitor A while monitor B I switch between DP and HDMI inputs. The Windows box is the only one with dual video outs as I use it the most.

So... did you find an HDMI KVM that works?
My main Dell monitor has a 2 port KVM built into it but eventually I'll get a 4 port external KVM.

Have you considered one of the IOGear products? I don't know how good their HDMI KVMs are but I used one of their VGA KVMs for many years and it was rock solid.

mycroftxxx

Tele-Meister
If you can hold off a bit…the 27” iMacs with Apple Silicon are expected this spring; a higher-end Mac Mini with the M1 Pro and/or M1 Max is expected this spring as well. Would give you more options.

bendercaster

Tele-Afflicted
I bought an iMac just over two years ago. It's a great machine, but now that I'm working from home most of the time, and my office has provided me with a tiny PC laptop, I wish I had the flexibility of the mini. You can't use the monitors of the newer iMacs as a second screen, but I don't have enough room now in my tiny office to add a larger screen for the laptop.

OmegaWoods

Tele-Afflicted
Unfortunately, the 27" hasn't made the cut for upgrades yet. I'm getting itchy and might get a new Mac Studio and a couple of monitors rather than wait for the 27" iMac.

moosie

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Unfortunately, the 27" hasn't made the cut for upgrades yet. I'm getting itchy and might get a new Mac Studio and a couple of monitors rather than wait for the 27" iMac.
I thought they discontinued the 27 in favor of the new 24?

Which pisses me off because I have a 27, only a couple years old with a bad logic board... gonna need another soon, and I don't want a 24".