Mac M1 ordered.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Hey_you, Jul 31, 2021.

1. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Afflicted

My dying pc had a stroke yesterday.( stuck in Attempting to Repair loop). It showed signs before this happened. It can be resuscitated, but I never liked Win 10. I bought a Macbook for traveling a year ago, so they are not foreign to me. I ordered a 13" M1 256 SSD and 16 gig ram.
    I should be seeing it in a couple weeks. It seems added ram is an upgrade that has to be installed. Otherwise an eight gig ram can be picked up today. /sigh

idjster, nojazzhere and imwjl like this.
  2. imwjl

imwjl Doctor of Teleocity

That should be very nice. At work and at home, everyone with the M models love the battery life and speed. I'm provisioning same 16 GB and base 8GB with everyone happy.

Even if you don't buy there, consider Apple's vetting third party peripherals. One of my users got crashes from an inexpensive dock/port unit.

I have to use and know and manage several platforms but for my own use, the computer/phone/watch integration makes the competition almost stupid by comparison for most people's needs. If you happen to have an iPhone make sure you do the setup that gets you the cut/copy/paste between devices and the calling across devices.

earthquake_glue likes this.
  3. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Afflicted

Congratulations. I have the M1 Mac mini only 8 gb ram but 500gb hard drive. Wish I got the 16gb. Very nice machine indeed. The seamless integration of Apple products can be a blessing and a curse though but, that’s with all their products. The icloud pictures and files accessibility can be a nuisance but I’ll take a Mac any day. I like having GarageBand and use it daily. This is my second Mac and I’ll never go back. My iMac lasted 10 years and was still operating fine but had issues with upgrading software. So after 10 years I recycled it at the Apple store.

nojazzhere likes this.
  4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I used Windows PCs for many years. Always had a lot of problems, and always chalked it up to me being an old guy with ZERO tech abilities. Finally, in January of this year, after yet another PC became unusable, I decided to try a Mac. I ordered a "Refreshed" iMac on Amazon. (so I could easily return if I didn't like it) It's a 21.5" iMac from 2014, and, while there was (and still is) some adjustment for me.....I'm understanding some of the "cult" of Apple. About two months ago, I decided to replace my no longer supported Dell laptops, running Windows, with another Refreshed Macbook Air (2015).....11" screen, like new, with 100% battery, and, like the desktop, fully updated operating system. The Air is small.....almost like a "folding" tablet, but perfect for the rare times I need to take a computer somewhere other than home. I don't need a LOT of computer like many of you, so these seem perfectly suited to me, and priced WAY below new Apple prices. So far, I'm most impressed.

Rockinvet likes this.
  5. kafka

kafka Friend of Leo's

It's going to be a while before I get an M1.

I had to hold on forever for them to finally release a 32GB MacBook Pro. Really, I could use 64GB. So until they can integrate that much RAM or more into a chip, it's not going to happen.

6. ieatlions

ieatlions Tele-Afflicted

Congrats!

Need some of that M1 action in my life. My 2011 iMac is soldiering on bless him.

nojazzhere likes this.
  7. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

My PC has died too. I happily use an iPad and iPhone but always a PC for ‘office’ stuff, Excel, Word etc. I believe they can now be run on a Mac but how ‘slick’ are they? Sorry to hijack the thread, just seemed appropriate.

nojazzhere likes this.
  8. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Never underestimate Microsoft's ability to f**k up a operating system. My Win10 system has updated 3 times in the last week and survived, but slow go. I'm about ready to switch myself to Mac.

nojazzhere and voodoostation like this.
  9. Drew617

Drew617 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Congrats!

I bought an M1 MBA for myself a couple months ago and it's easily got to be the best $1200 (I got the 16GB RAM) I've spent on a personal computer. Leaps and bounds better than the 2015 MBP I had, and the 2017 MBP I have at work. Performs better, is fanless and cool, and the battery life is amazing. I particularly dislike the expensive 2017 MBP at work with its "all day battery" that really lasts 3 hours if you use any CPU.

Just ordered myself another MBA to replace that MBP at work, actually. Found that the current MBP has almost no advantage over the Air, and I never liked the touch bar anyway.

10. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

Good for you! Let us know what its like. My Mac is still pretty current so I won't be upgrading, but my iPad broke a couple of weeks ago and I had to order a new one - with the M1 chip. I'll get to know what the chip is like!

nojazzhere likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.