Mac computer folks I have a question

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by stxrus, Oct 21, 2019.

1. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

So the machines that someone else buys run Windows, while the machines that you pay for are Macs.

How telling.

:D

John Nicholas likes this.
  2. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

No, just years of the above mentioned issues.

3. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Friend of Leo's

I'll go one better, since I work all day with Windows, I figured, hey, this Windows laptop is one quarter the price of a Mac, I'll buy it and should be able to live with it.

After only a week, I hated it, sold it on Craigslist for half what I paid and bought a Macbook Pro...

But that's just me! :lol::lol:

4. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

MacMinis are awesome. Do it! Just go for highest processor you can afford and at least 16GB of RAM and you're golden. Do not skimp on memory!

I use mine for Photoshop, Lightroom, GarageBand, Excel, Word, Notes, Books, Spotify, Ring, FaceTime, Messages, PDFs, Calendar, News, internet access, and email.

I started using Macs around 1984 and have used them ever since, including in my commercial photography & imaging business. I've had several MacMinis over the years, along with every other type of Mac that Apple makes.

I recently bought the latest MacMini:

• 3.2 GHz Intel Core i7 SIX-Core
    • Turbo Boost to 4.6GHz
    • 16GB of 2666 MHz DDR4 RAM
    • 512GB PCIe SSD

not inexpensive by any means, but it is powerful and will serve my needs well for many years to come. Buy once, cry once.

I also bought a couple of Samsung 1TB SSDs as external drives... so all the drives on that machine, internal and external are SSD - very fast! I have some 4TB HDDs around, but mostly just use them for back up of everything.

The beauty of the MacMini is that you can select and/or upgrade the display at any time, separately from the computer. I'm presently using an Apple 27" Display with my MacMini.

I also run a MacBook Pro 15", MacBook Air 13", and iMac 27" in different rooms of the house.

Yes, I am a confirmed Mac-a-holic. :lol:

simond, SacDAve and John Nicholas like this.
  5. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

what else would you expect? It’s juicy red meat for the masses. Someone posts that they’re tired of a product and they’re going to switch to something else and someone else takes it personally. It’s similar to someone who posts that they want to upgrade from their MIM Tele to an American model. “Why?”, others ask, “the MIM is just as good.“
    It’s been this way since I have been a member here.

Alamo and John Nicholas like this.
  6. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Friend of Leo's

You know it seems more like folks want to feel better about their decisions, so they want others to like the same stuff that they do.

But the world would be a very boring place if everyone liked the same thing.

Imagine a world with only one flavor of ice cream.

One drink

One Automobile

One set of clothes

One guitar

BORING!!!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

7. Pasta Player

Pasta Player Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

For many years I straddled both realms between Windows and Mac. Finally did an actual head-to-head comparison between both and found that I spent more time on the Windows machine just trying to get it to work …than I actually did getting real work accomplished on the Mac. (Very heavy graphics user here.) Last year macOS9Lives.com broke the barrier for running Mac OS9 on the early Mac Mini and now I’ve about ten of those (all working).

Barring the soldered-in RAM model Minis, I’m certain that newer refurbed Minis are indeed of great value. And I run GarageBand on the early Core2Duo Minis… with great ease (and dual monitors). Massive bang-for-the buck.

There’s even an “Instant DAW” install for the early Mac mini (free download for members, costs nothing to join):
    http://macos9lives.com/smforum/inde...PHPSESSID=bddu3asrtfhkat7n38re6csja4#msg33870

*Note: the early Mac Minis running OS 9 aren't that great for navigating the internet but the later Core2Duo models running OS X varieties still do a very good job. Of course the newer Minis are much mo' bettah in web browsing.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  8. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

9. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

"It seems that many folks are turning this into a Windows vs. Apple smackdown. Both platforms have good and not so good features.

If you are a gamer, you would be better served with a Windows machine. If you are a graphic designer, professional video or audio person, the Apple is a better choice.

Personally I use both daily. Working in IT all day long I spend working on Windows machines, then when I go home, I use Apple machines.

It really all comes down to preference, what you want to use the computer for, your budget (although, when you outfit a Windows machine to have the same specs as an Apple, the price difference is far less and Apple machines last far longer, at least in the past)"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I agree with this. I use Windows 10 at work and am actually our local network and IT security manager. As part of an enterprise where we have a lot of automated scanning, patching, and virus protection, the Dell laptops we use seem to be a much better deal in terms of annual cost. But we also replace them about every 3 years when their warranty is up. But in this type of environment the Windows boxes are actually a better deal. It turns out Macs are harder to manage remotely in an enterprise environment....

I also tried the Linux thing, and I do like it. But getting native Linux REAPER to run on it was a bit of a challenge. I had to figure out how to get JACK utility working, etc. As a person who has lots of experience working in DOS, VMS, and other command line languages, learning UNIX commands was not a bridge too far for me. The Ubuntu shell I used was cool and all, but sometimes line commands were needed to get things done effectively....just as sometimes even with Windows 10 the most direct way to troubleshoot and fix stuff is going back to the DOS command line. But based on my experience I would never recommend Linux to anyone unless they are up for the interesting challenges associated with it.

The Mac OS annoys me in some ways, but on the other hand it works very well. I broke down and bought a refurbished MacBook Pro from these guys, who are located in my town so I could physically go there and pick out my machine-- https://ipowerresale.com/

I think it was about $1,200 out the door and works great with a really clear, high quality display. It's the last version before the touchbar model came out so it's just a few years old, runs everything like a champ. The reseller did some upgrades to it, I can't recall exactly what they were. I loaded Reaper on it, plugged in an external audio interface, and was good to go, no muss no fuss, no latency issues or weird noises. Easy as pie. So for audio stuff it does work very well, IMO. Backups are super easy, too. Yes I could do all this with a PC or Linux but getting sound cards happy, etc., diving into audio settings, etc.....is very do-able but is not easy as pie.

My son had an older iMac and the display burned out on it. There's a LOT of heat buildup in that design, at least on earlier versions, and it tends to fry the graphics chip. There are YouTube videos on the issue and how to fix it yourself, but we gave up on it.
    If you are looking at a desktop I think having the display and the CPU in two separate components might be a better way to go.

If I just wanted a machine for websurfing I would probably just use my phone or get a ChromeBook.

As far as graphic design/photography/video editing goes, a lot of industry professionals have actually moved away from Macs over to Windows 10 boxes. Software like Photoshop has the same functionality on both, and Windows 10 OS is close enough to the Mac GUI that even the artists have been able to make the transition.

10. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity

My 2011 iMac is maxed out and it was easy to add more RAM - good to know about the newer ones being not as upgradeable.

Chud and SacDAve like this.
  11. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Yes, after that what people might not be getting are the levels of components, build quality and support. The Macs and Windows systems I provision or have are close in price when the rest is close. Especially if you compare Surface family against Macs.

People also get in the worldview or gaps of knowledge traps. My late model Macs and Surface should not be compared to older generations. It probably escapes many that Linux heritage features are also in Windows now and that a Mac isn't a problem with SMB networking.

Our OP said he uses an iPhone. That would settle it for me. I know Microsoft has some new things coming with a Samsung partnership and their own Android phone but right now Apple still wins with a good margin in that realm. Maybe it is another knowledge gap issue with many not aware of or using those features? People should.

Users should check the compatibility (last link) to know if or how many of the powerful features are available.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204681
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209455
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204689

12. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

imwiji some of these features are the things that really annoy me about Apple. The idea that a user of course wants all of his Apple devices to talk to each other, and all of his family's devices to talk to each other. All of this in theory can be managed,
    but the default mode has created all kinds of problems for me. A couple of examples-- for awhile I couldn't get into the iPhone app store because my wife's ID and pw became somehow linked and took over my iPhone via FamilyShare or whatever it's called.
    Every time I turn on my Mac PowerBook a whole bunch of text messages and other crap pop up that I read days ago already on my iPhone, and now those text messages are appearing and interrupting my Netflix watching.

This concept of connecting
    everyone's household Apple devices because it will make your life so much easier is good in theory but doesn't always work out so well. Or my son takes a bunch of stupid pictures and videos with his iPad and they all start clogging up my photo library because
    that's all linked with FamilyShare. And it's NOT intuitive like they claim. If that were the case then there wouldn't be a line around the block every weekend at our Apple Store for all the folks trying to get these features working right by getting help from the
    "Genius Bar". To the extent that Windows 10 is also trying to provide these types of supposedly convenient connective features I say "DON'T DO IT!"

13. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I get all the possible credentials and sharing and new toy and multi-factor messes possible with Android, Apple, Google and Microsoft via the c suite and company owners setting their own rules. I view the as much the same. More share messes there and at home from Prime or Netflix account sharing.

Indeed it doesn't always seem intuitive but I take a breath and read the instructions. To me all that is just like the dashboards are different with our cars and remembering the Kubota tractor H pattern shifts opposite the Ford pickup.

I'm all over our sites so those features are very handy and stable. If I'm in a spot with no Ethernet or good WiFi I'll use bluetooth and leave the other device where it has coverage. It's a big time saver and utility of I don't have to pick up the phone if it's not near me, and I can carry on work with greater ease. If I have my MacBook instead of Windows laptop I use that keyboard for text messaging.

Where possible I use same features with the different platforms but for this phone to computer topic Apple's in the lead. It's perfectly fine if you want none of it too. Ironically, that's why my watch is a cel phone. The most peaceful way to leave it all behind but still be on call.

:)

14. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Afflicted

I'm not doing video editing or music, but my office runs on a 2013 Mac Mini and a 2011 MacBook Pro. Never had a single problem, crash or virus. None. That's what you pay for.

15. GuitarPlayerFL

GuitarPlayerFL TDPRI Member

I have a Mini I bought used (Mid-2012). I think those were the last ones you could upgrade, and I did.
    i7, 16 GB RAM, 500 GB SSD. It's great.

Garageband is all you need and it's free. It includes a lot of virtual instruments and the Drummer feature is golden. Record your music to a click, then run the Drummer feature. It creates a usable beat which you can tweak if you like. Great for me as I have no idea how to program drums.
    There's no need to buy a DAW if you own a Mac product.

I was a Windows fan boy since Win 3.1.....UNTIL Win 10 came along. I jumped to Apple and can't be happier. I have had zero problems with my MB Pro and Mini. Can't say that for my PCs.

I bought used from Mac of All Trades (Google it)

16. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I have straddled both fences for the last 15 years. I use Windows 10 at work for the last several years and for the last 2 years I use Win 10 at home except when I am sitting in my comfy chair using my old Macbook Air to browse the internet or check email. I changed my desktop a couple years ago because I got tired of the way Apple kept continually finding new ways to squeeze money from the user and/ or restrict the way users interact with their machines. I have had 0 problems of any consequence with my Win machine at work or home. I bought one of the Intel NUC kits for the desktop and have never looked back. I am totally convinced it has more to do with the user interaction than it does with either platforms/ machines. Longevity of the Apple platform is a myth. I have had a Mini die just beyond the 2 year mark. There are good and bad builds in both platforms. When my Macbook Air dies, it will likely be the last Apple for the conceivable future. I can no longer afford to pay outrageous prices for their machines.

17. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Boy this Thread sure turned into PP match fast. :(

18. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

Only the minis went to soldered ram for that one generation afaik. I think iMacs have always been user upgradeable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. ssfarm

ssfarm TDPRI Member

20. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Holic

I'm a hard-core Unix guy who detests Windows, runs a handful of Linux systems at home (including my desktop) and am one of those nerdy guys who understands everything going on under the hood. Suffice it to say that I'm not afraid of the technology and can do the hard maintenance tasks if needed. That doesn't mean I want to spend a lot of time on it, though. :cool:

Four years ago, I started a job where the standard computer is a MacBook Pro. I went through the usual heartburn of having to learn something new, but after all this time, I like it. It gets the job done for business-y and technical stuff and I rarely notice it's there. The only time I ever restart it is after an OS upgrade. (That said, the experiences of some of my iWhatever-owning friends lead me to believe that iOS is best avoided.)

The MBP I got in 2015 was just upgraded to a 2019 model, but the old one still ran just fine, and after four years all it needed was a new battery.

Mac Minis run the same OS as the laptops and do just fine. I have a bunch of old ones that I use to drive exhibit displays at trade shows.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.