Mac computer folks I have a question

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by stxrus, Oct 21, 2019.

1. fnkmstr

fnkmstr Tele-Meister

As noted above, with the right specs you should be fine. I run Logic Pro X recording on my early 2015 MacBook air. Screen is a little small but I manage ok.

2. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

The Mac Mini’s RAM is not soldered to the logic board. It can be user upgraded. It’s not easy but certainly doable.

3. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

What failure, specifically, has caused you to come to this conclusion?

4. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

The 2014 series was. They went back to user upgradeable with the 2018 series as I noted in a later post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Long time Mac user here.
    I teach a class to beginner Mac converts, or Windows refugees the OP is not alone in his desire to escape from MS.

I have a MacBook Pro which only has 8gb RAM and 256 GB of storage. I can run Logic Pro X with ease. The faster PCIe SSDs are so darn speedy. I have thunderbolt external storage so i could care less about the internal drive capacity.

The Mini with 16gb should serve you well.
    Macs are easy to use, hassle free and software upgrades are effortless.

6. fnkmstr

fnkmstr Tele-Meister

7. tubedood

tubedood Tele-Meister

I dig the Mac interface... it takes a little getting used to if one is accustomed to Windows tho.
    The lil Mac Mini is great for the person that already has the add-ons such as keyboard and monitor and just needs the puter.
    I find the Mac and Linux environments to be just different enough to make using a computer fun again!

8. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

Great replies but most day to day use is business oriented... word processing & spreadsheet/data management. I’d like to make a step into video editing & recording as a side venture.

9. Deebs3

Deebs3 Tele-Meister

i am currently using an .... ahem... e-mac with logic audio, (remember the dalmation ones?) i think it has megabytes of ram, not GB but it works fine. My version of logic audio won't work on later systems so i'm stuck until i get new software.

Buckocaster51 likes this.
  10. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

Everything related to MS and the PC experience. Updates that may or may not actually work, unstableness, security issues are a start. I’m ready for a change. Between 2 iPads and my 3rd iPhone I like the Apple platform

11. Chud

A late 2012 Mac Mini will sync up with your other Apple products easy peasey. I love AirDrop for quick transfer of files between my iPhone, iPad, and Mac Mini. It's got USB 3.0, HDMI, Thunderbolt, and even still has a firewire port that I use for external storage. I anticipate another 6-8 years out of it at least.

jimash likes this.
  12. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

That's what I have here, and what I recommended, especially if like me you have some junky old toys you like to plug in out of habit.

Chud likes this.
  13. Chud

Yeah, I don't see it slowing down anytime soon. I did the dual internal HDD upgrade so I have an SSD for my boot drive, and 1TB for my storage. It's quick AF.

jimash likes this.
  14. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Friend of Leo's

I'm an Apple user since 1989... I've had lots of different models and our house is currently all Apple products.

The Apple computers come with Pages (Word) and Numbers (Excel) they are free and come with the computer. The files can be saved so that your friends/family with Microsoft products can see and read the Pages and Numbers files.

They also come with iMovie (Video Editing program) and Garage Band (Audio editing program)both work really well, they are simplistic but work well and are easy to learn. The more you learn, the better end product you can end up with.

Now to answer the main question, will the Mac mini be enough?? Sure. For word and excel files it will work great! Depending on how involved you want to go with Video and audio, for simple short videos will be fine, but for complicated and longer videos, it will be a little weak and not up to your needs.

As has been mentioned before, buying an older, more powerful pre-owned Mac could be a great option.

15. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

I did it too, but i left the HD out so the air could move easier. The external USB3 enclosure for the original drive was $9.00.

Not having it go full melt, playing the protools demo track...priceless.
    I also got a 120 g SSD in an external box to play with. My regular external is a 2 tb OWC we used to use for video.

16. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I don't know why you're fed up with Windows systems. You'll find a same sort of quality experience with Windows or a Mac if your Windows use is the Surface family of computers. You'll see the price differences disappear too.

Otherwise I don't know what to say. Minis are good. I can't really disparage either will ask if the person uses an iPhone with the topic because then you great features with a Mac such as copy and paste between them, make calls from your computer, hand off same apps or pages between them, snap a pic and put it directly in a document on your computer, more....

Minis have always been good. If you have a display you have a good start. Before Windows or Mac upgrades I suggest you look at the display quality. I'm not sure what your budget is but not all Mini support high end video.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206587

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  17. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

There wasn't a particular last straw?

18. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted

I'm not sure what the hate is for Windows 10. Yeah there are some people who've had a problem with it. I'm just about to retire a 12 year old system that had XP, then 7, and now 10 for the past several years. It's only got 4 GB of RAM and can be a bit slow sometimes, but it's been stable.

I've also owned a Mac Mini, currently have a Macbook Air and an older Macbook Pro. I'd be using the MBP but for the small screen, gives me eye strain. Actually they all give me eye strain but that one's the worst.

I also use Linux quite a bit, both desktop and embedded. I tried Ubuntu Studio to check out music making apps, but after a month of that am now using Ableton Live on the aforementioned Windows 10 machine.

Smokin OP likes this.
  19. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Friend of Leo's

It seems that many folks are turning this into a Windows vs. Apple smackdown. Both platforms have good and not so good features.

If you are a gamer, you would be better served with a Windows machine. If you are a graphic designer, professional video or audio person, the Apple is a better choice.

Personally I use both daily. Working in IT all day long I spend working on Windows machines, then when I go home, I use Apple machines.

It really all comes down to preference, what you want to use the computer for, your budget (although, when you outfit a Windows machine to have the same specs as an Apple, the price difference is far less and Apple machines last far longer, at least in the past)

My two co-workers have iPhones and iPads, but hate Apple computers. Both are gamers and an Apple would never work for them.

An Apple is simple to use and doesn't require as much maintenance, spam protection, concern about viruses, etc... so if all you want to do is to check email, surf the net and visit your favorite Telecaster forum, without all that other stuff, an Apple could be a great choice.

The other feature of Apple most folks do not take into account is the free software available. As mentioned in my previous post, you do not have to pay for Word, Excel or Powerpoint from Microsoft, the Apple versions work very similarly and are free. Same with iMovie which is a video editing program, it's a very powerful program and far easier to use than the inexpensive Windows options and of course far less expensive than the professional video editing programs.

The same with the Audio editing program that comes with the Apple computers, Garage Band, it's a really powerful program and it's fun.

When you pay more for an Apple computer there are some additional benefits with the software that you don't have to go out and buy separately and then install afterwards. It's already installed.

And of course, everyone has their preferences. If the OP is tired of Windows and desires to get an Apple, that's his decision.

SacDAve likes this.
  20. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

The Mac Mini is a fine computer. IIWY I'd look into a "refurbished" one on Apple's website.

I've had a number of Apple's "refurbished" machines over the years and, aside from arriving in a plain white box with no fancy pictures or graphics, they've all appeared brand new, with a full warranty.

Depending on what connections your Windows-machine monitor, keyboard and mouse have you might even be able to use them with the Mac Mini.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.