Mable Audio 5F6A Transformers

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by MrCoolGuy, Jul 22, 2020.

1. MrCoolGuy

MrCoolGuy Tele-Meister

I recently... er... inherited a Mable 5F6A kit.
    I've built a Weber 5F6A kit before and there is somee similarities. Some things about the Mable kit are actually better, (the turret board is nice, though not correct for a vintage fender, it appears to be very high quality). But do yall know anything about their transformers? I mean, they look legit, but what can you tell from looks? Right. Though, the output transformer has 16, 8 and 4 ohm taps... which is annoying since 5f6a is supposed to run 2ohm speaker output... but I am a fan of multi-tap OT's. I am just wondering if anyone has any experience with Mable's transformers. Good? Bad? Ugly?
    Thanks!

rangercaster likes this.
  2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I know nothing, but the trannies are likely made in China. Pics might help.

rangercaster likes this.
  3. MrCoolGuy

MrCoolGuy Tele-Meister

This is them, no mystery there. They are definitely Chinese. I am asking if anyone has any experience with these guys. Are they worth using or should I sell them ?

Attached Files:

4. Wally

Maybe someone with direct experience will come in. I have my own thoughts...mainly that the transformers the heart and souls of the amp. I would opt for one of a few other choices. Ommv.
    I will observe that the PT you sow us is not what one would want to use for an amp intended for use in the U.S.

5. zook

zook Friend of Leo's

Mable audio has been around for over 20 years. Their products are okay, but nothing to write home to mother about.

rangercaster likes this.
  6. MrCoolGuy

MrCoolGuy Tele-Meister

Yeah, I just realised I posted the wrong picture. Same secondary... but for 120.

7. MrCoolGuy

MrCoolGuy Tele-Meister

A lot of the parts in their 5f6a kit are pretty cheap crap... so I assume the transformers are too, just thought I'd ask. Do you think Weber's transformers are any better?
    I built a 5f6a with Weber transformers. It sounds excellent, no problems, but I do wonder how the transformers will hold up.

8. zook

zook Friend of Leo's

Weber transformers are fine. There was a problem with the longevity of the Deluxe PT in the past, but I believe that has been rectified.

9. MrCoolGuy

MrCoolGuy Tele-Meister

That's good to know. I appreciate it.
    I like Weber's speakers and their customer service has been excellent, in my experience. If they would use a little higher quality small parts... their kits would be great. Though, I have never seen one of their cabinets... I made my own. I went past the 60 days (or however long you have) to try out new speakers... I was into my 4th month using some signature 10s alnico's when I emailed jr. They let me exchange for some 10f150's and only pay the difference. Great. I tried the same thing with WGS (warehouse guitar speakers)
    Trying to exchange some Veteran 10's...
    They won't even answer an email.

10. Wally

I ran across an old thread about these Mable Audio kits in which some posited that the kits were the same as the Weber kits. I know nothing about them personally. I do know that IF I were building an amp, the transformers are one place where I would put the money.

tubegeek likes this.
  11. MrCoolGuy

MrCoolGuy Tele-Meister

I think that weber used to simply resell mable kits. I now know, after a conversation with Ted Jr., that they still use a lot of Mable's supplies in their kits, but they put in some better parts (their own transformers, Carling switches, neutrik jacks, etc...) and, having one of each kit (Weber 5f6a and Mable 5f6a)
    This seems to be true.

Wally likes this.
  12. tonejunkie99

tonejunkie99 TDPRI Member

I have used transformers from Mable audio on several economy builds. Although they did the job and haven't had any issues, I am not a fan of the bell covers they use, they have a lip that goes around the laminates which is the huge give away (cheap from china) Seriously though they sounded great, especially for being cheap. I know what you mean about the 5F6A o/t not being 2 ohm they don't seem to get-it and they do the same thing with the 5F1 o/t they only carry 8-ohm whence it should be 4. One thing I would caution about is the Jacks they sell lack adequate tension and are crap - (both the CTS and Cliff style) also the pilot lights are 100% plastic crap as well as the electrolytic caps are crap. and the cabinet they sell for 5E3 has the 12" speaker hole centered in the baffle which is a no no because a Alnico speaker magnet cover will not clear the tubes. as far as customer service, I have ordered stuff from them for many years and there was a couple times I had to wait a couple months because they were out of stock... The last order I placed was back in march and that order was held up in customs quarantine for 2 months because of the pandemic. I will say this, all the stuff I ordered did eventually arrive. One thing I would add is if you order a JTM 45 style chassis with transformers mounted, they don't pack them well enough for rough handling I have had 2 arrive with racked chassis from being dropped during shipping. I met another builder online that orders completed chassis from Mable and said almost all of their amps are sent out biased HOT like really hot, as in 70ish MV on JTM 45 and 43 ish on 5E3 amps.

I am also in the search for a power transformer for a studio project. The Classictone 40-18021 works okay in Tweed Deluxe but it's plate is 384V which is way high for long 6V6 tube life and also creates some sorta faint doubling or crossover distortion in the decay of the notes on Isolated guitar tracks. What I think I want is a 300ish volt higher amperage PT that will work across anything from a Tweed Deluxe, B/F deluxe and possibly even a Vibrolux Reverb. I'm concerned a heavier amperage transformer will make a Tweed Deluxe sound stiff though. I am at the limits end of my experience and knowledge, I wish there was someone that could advise me before shelling out $100 - $150 or so on what I have going on.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
  13. MrCoolGuy

MrCoolGuy Tele-Meister

Wow! That's a pretty hot bias.

And, from my limited experience, I agree completely. I recieved this kit in payment for some repairs I did. (They too had to wait almost 3 months after ordering in March) The first thing I noticed was the jacks and "Elon" electrolytic caps... trash. Obviously Weber felt the sme way... buy they still use those caps...

14. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

In the end, a transformer is just a piece of metal with some wires wrapped around it ...

Not exactly rocket science ...

IMHO ...

15. MrCoolGuy

MrCoolGuy Tele-Meister

You know what, my knowledge may be limited, but I agree. It either produces the correct voltages/currents or it doesn't. The only qualitative factor would be durability, right? Am I missing something?

rangercaster likes this.
  16. Wally

the OT is or could be more of a tonal variable than is the PT...as long as the PT actually does what it should. If the PT yields correct voltages and has the meat to deal with the current demands, then the differences might be small. But...then...why are high dollar amp builders very particular about there transformers???

rangercaster likes this.
  17. tonejunkie99

tonejunkie99 TDPRI Member

Like I say, I've had no issues with the Mable transformers, that's 20 or so builds worth. I even ran a set in a 5E3 that was gigged a lot on 2018 and 2019 (never had to replace tubes).

rangercaster likes this.
  18. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

The expertise here is invaluable ...

And the humor priceless...

19. MrCoolGuy

MrCoolGuy Tele-Meister

Is there any explanation why one OT would be tonally better than another?
    Just curious. It's hard for me to imagine why two output transformers built to the same spec out of basically the same parts would sound any different.

20. MrCoolGuy

MrCoolGuy Tele-Meister

This conversation reminds me of the whole tube matching debate. So... a lot of important folks are now saying that having precisely matched tubes is not necessary and may be, in fact, detrimental to good tone. Of course not referring to extreme mismatches and the effect on longevity. (Opinions on subjective ideas, ha!) I'm sure tube sellers hate this idea. Whether it's matched tubes or expensive Mercury Magnetics output transformers, I just find it strange that... supposedly... more money equals good tone...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.