M1911A1 discovery, COOL!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TwangBilly, Dec 17, 2013.

1. TC6969

TC6969 Friend of Leo's

I've been dabbling around with RAW files and I figured right here would be a good place to see what one looks like processed and posted.

This is the final version of my "Killin Gun" (paper targets, steel plates and bowling pins):lol:

[​IMG]

2. TwangBilly

TwangBilly Tele-Afflicted

Thank you sir, he was one of the greatest and most honorable men I have ever known. He spent his life in service to his family, his church and others. He sure left a big shadow on this community.

You should hear some of his other stories haha.
    One time they had a herd of like 5 or 600 horses that they had to have to a port in Florida by a certain date for deployment into combat service and courier duty overseas. They didn't have time to drive them which was the usual M/O. So they put them all on a big Texas cattle train they basically commandeered from the rail road, and headed east.

My great grandfather had grown up around timber and saw mills as a family business, and before the war had worked as a carpenter in the southern W.V. coalfields building coal tipples and rail road trestles.
    So here they came east, and I don't remember if it was the Mississippi River or a big swamp, (I was 6 or 7 when I heard these stories, I would have to find a railroad map from the time to see for sure), but I think it was the Mississippi, and there was no rail road trestle across it!

So he came up with this plan far enough in advance that they stopped and telegraphed the RR company to send men, cross ties and track down that way from both directions and build sidings on either side and track right up to the river, and bring tools like cross cut saws and axes.

His next idea was simple, when they got there he dispersed his men with saws and axes to cut down hundreds of trees, then they harnessed teams of horses and dragged the logs to the river bank, and built some sort of pontoon like wooden barges.
    Then they laid timbers along those, and then laid cross ties and rail on those. So when they were done they had a floating rail road bridge!

They proceeded to shuffle cars across just a few at a time with the locomotive, unhook them on the siding on the other side and go back for more cars until they had the whole train made back up on the east side! This whole process took about three to five days I think, but they headed on to Florida and made the deadline.

Now that's Hillbilly ingenuity! :lol:
    It's amazing what people are capable of when they use the brain God gave them and are willing to work.

I'm sorry I'm getting winded again and off subject, but just thought I'd tell that one. :lol:

3. TwangBilly

Very cool! If that thing hasn't been fired in awhile if take it apart and clean it up of need be and oil it before I fired it, but I'd definitely fire it. These things were not built to be safe queens, I like to see them doing what they were built for. And just like a vehicle, the worst thing for them is to never be used.

My great uncle had his Colt .38 service pistol, and a few Krag Jorgensen rifles from the war. Sure would like to have gotten ahold of them, but his daughter wouldn't give or sell them to family, and sold them for nearly nothing when he died. :(
    He another I could tell stories about :lol:

4. TwangBilly

Very nice piece! Looks great.

5. TwangBilly

I stopped into a local gun show this evening, I asked a couple dealers if they knew where I could find a slide.
    One said "ask the man standing next to you he's a collector and builds them". What are the chances.

So I asked this older gentleman and he says "yeah I've got a Remington Rand slide, but I don't want to sell it. Want to sell your frame?".

Haha! Ain't that the way it always goes.

So neither one of us wants to sell, but I could see the wheels turning in his mind, when I have a little more cash to offer I'm gonna work on him again.

6. TC6969

TC6969 Friend of Leo's

7. Mechanic

Mechanic Friend of Leo's

One thing I might recomend. Find your external parts to refinish in OD Parkerisation, but buy a quality aftermarket barrel and bushing to be fitted to the slide and frame. That way it improves your chances of haveing a very accurate pistol. Mil spec barrels were notoriously loose for combat. Mil spec pistols rattle when shaken. This was for combat self defense . Accurate pistols don't rattle. Modern 1911 pistols don't either.

8. TwangBilly

TC6969: Thanks! I am watching one of those now.

Mechanic: I think that is what I'm going to do, some upgraded internal parts and a hand fitting job for accuracy and reliability.

But I'd also like to at least have all of the G.I. Spec. parts that would make this pistol complete and correct.

I sold my Glock 21 SF to fund this RR build and have a little cash to work with (work is slow this winter).

So I'm focusing on gathering original G.I. RR parts as I can find the ones that are correct for this late model. After all they ain't making any more of this stuff and it's getting harder to find.

Once I have all that, I'll probably buy a Colt builders kit or something and have it all flitted, that way I can swap the guts and basically have two different pistols in one. (Is that crazy/possible? :lol:)

I still need a slide but I called my cousin who owns a RR tonight, he said he has a box of spare internal parts (minus slide) he's sending me, to use what I need and send the rest back! He refused any notion of payment, I love my W.V. family.....

9. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

love my rem 1911r1, sold all my other handguns including a few S&W's and a nice browning. this 45acp can do it all for me, imho ...

[​IMG]

10. TwangBilly

Nice Rob, very nice!
    And thanks, this makes me feel a little better about selling my Glock. I liked my Glock, for the money they are hard to beat even if they are "combat Tupperware" :lol:
    But my dream is a nice 1911, my favorite auto pistol.
    I'll miss the Glock in a way but I'll be allot happier with the RR when it's done. Like you say, a 1911 does it all...

11. Rob DiStefano

at my pistol club i get to shoot a LOT of different handguns, from a simple .22rf wheelie to a .50 desert eagle (WHOA! no thank you!). lotsa plastic guns, too. ain't nothing better'n a classic 1911. i chose the remington because it's fully made in the U.S.A. and doesn't have an outrageous price tag, to boot. i also handload for it (and my rifles) and that allows tailoring some very accurate rounds.

some of my 1911 videos ...

doing the plunk test

loading 45acp rounds

i do a fair amount of reloading for different calibers
    [​IMG]

but my fave is still the 45acp
    [​IMG]

12. TC6969

TC6969 Friend of Leo's

Me too!

When I shot competitively, I "Plunked" every round.

I would spend hours on Saturday nights loading each individual cartridge like it was the only one I was taking with me on Sunday.

Consistency is the very essence of accuracy.

13. Rob DiStefano

precisely why i'll never need a progressive press and use the redding t7 turret exclusively. :cool:

14. Robert.V

Robert.V Tele-Meister

View attachment 211645 Ye old Springfield supertuned.

Handcut/checkered cocobolo grips. Full Wilson combat Spring set. precision fitted barrel bushing. Coldhammered Peters Stahl Polygonal barrel. (Fitted, not drop in).
    extended and fitted barrel spring rod thingy ( forgot proper name ). Novak sights.
    Chip Mcormick skeletal Trigger. Recoil buffer.

And I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff too.

image-3190422491.jpg

15. Robert.V

Robert.V Tele-Meister

built it to look like Rob Leathams Springfield.

Had a VHS of him but can't remember what it was called.

But I did learn that the staff at my gunclub doesnt appreciate fast fire.
    lol.

16. Mechanic

Mechanic Friend of Leo's

There's a lot of neat variation on the 1911 out there. Wish I could afford a few more but Tele's are my main focus right now.

17. zeke54

zeke54 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Good luck with the slide , they are out there ( somewhere ), hope you don't have to pay an arm & a leg . I missed the boat some years ago on a US&S , but bought a real clean Rem. Rand made in '44 . Can't bring them into Calif. from out of state anymore , so unless I find another , maybe Ithaca or US&S , or Singer ( in my dreams ) that is already in the state I'll be content with what I have , I'm fortunate to have it .

18. TwangBilly

Great stuff guys!

Well I found a slide, actually I found several but only one I could afford.
    Bought it online so I'm hoping it is as good as claimed by the seller.
    I have held off buying anything else until I have the right slide, that's the main thing.

Once it arrives and passes inspection it's on to finding an arched, serrated mainspring housing with 8 serrations, a serrated slide release, checkered trigger, hammer and mag release, a High standard or Flannery barrel, and probably a G.I. parts kit of pins, springs, bushing, guide rod, etc.

Fun fun! I'm enjoying the hunt.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.