M1911A1 discovery, COOL!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TwangBilly, Dec 17, 2013.

1. 1962guitargeek

1962guitargeek Friend of Leo's

cool stuff..

I recently traded for a Rock Island 1911...well built piece IMO

2. Mechanic

Mechanic Friend of Leo's

I own a mil spec M1911A1 as well. Belonged to my dad. Bought from an armory in Commerce Cal. for $28.00 in '64 furring the Watts riots. I inherited it when he passed on. Only pistol I shoot currently. I've done the pinch the rails and slide bit, and an action job all cosmetics are as I received it. Olive drab and mill spec sights. Had a few others that have gone on when money was tight, this will go to a grand son.
    Sorry pics chalanged.

3. TwangBilly

TwangBilly Tele-Afflicted

Oh wow that's nice!
    It doesn't look like it has been stored in the holster either, certain tanning agents in some leather will eat at the finish.
    Allot of the older ones are in bad shape because of that.

In 1917 Colt made 79,586,
    and Springfield made 2,412.

That consecutive pair you and your sister have are exceptionally rare for sure!
    I sure hope they never get separated and never leave your family.
    I suggest getting a professional appraisal done on them, putting them in a good fireproof safe and insuring them.
    Of course I'd still shoot them and enjoy them, but wow those are nice to own!

4. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

I used to shoot IPSC matches at the local range 20 years ago or so. I used a Springfield Armory 1911A1 that had pretty much every part upgraded but the frame and slide and they were modified. Also have an unmodified Colt Combat Commander. I will try to post a pic later. My eyes are not good enough any more to do very well in any kind of competition. Getting old sucks.

5. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

is it legal to own one of these if it left the service with a soldier who took it home? either from ww1 or ww2?

6. Mechanic

Mechanic Friend of Leo's

I believe so as I own one that has U. S. Army stamped on the frame.

7. telestratosonic

telestratosonic Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My favourite handgun. I've owned a stainless Colt Gold Cup National Match and a Norinco Colt Commander clone. As I got older I found I didn't enjoy shooting them as much anymore so I sold them last year. I'm looking at 9mms these days.

8. Brad Pittiful

interesting

can these guns be hybrids from say colt and remington...mixed parts from both manufacturers?

9. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Yes, As they were rebuilt in government armories and prepared to reissue the parts were interchanged. The same thing happened with the M1 Garand rifles that were sold by the DCM.

10. Brad Pittiful

the gun im asking about is marked...remington arms - umc and the serial number is 615675...according to the chart in the link posted above...the serial numbers section says its not a number for remington arms - umc...it matches one line lower for colt serial numbers

this is why i asked if they mixed parts from guns from the different makers

11. TwangBilly

Yes sir they were often mixed up for many reasons.
    Like someone said about when they were reissued, or refurbished, arsenal rebuilt, or if a bunch were stripped for inspection they would often just grab parts and throw them together.

The government required complete parts-interchangeability among all the makers, you could completely strip one of each make, throw it all in a box and shake it up, randomly grab parts blindfolded and put it all back together into a fully functioning pistol.

My Remington Rand was a complete pistol when my buddy found it, but a bunch of combat Marines needed parts for the 1911's they were carrying and they stripped it. The parts went into Colt's.

I'm assuming yours is marked Remington-UMC on the slide, and the serial number is on the frame right?

According to these numbers your pistol is a 1911 (not a later 1911A1) Colt frame made in 1919, according to the chart Remington-UMC only built them 1918-1919, so the parts were made about the same time. I'd say your pistol has probably been in it's current mismatched form for many years, possibly since it was nearly new. Or maybe it was refitted later for reissue.

In any case it's an old and really neat and valuable pistol.
    If you just want a shooter or if it's got sentimental value I'd keep it like it is.
    If not, I believe I would sell the UMC slide to a collector or someone who is in need of it, that's a pretty rare item, and I would take that money and buy a correctly marked Colt 1911 slide to put on your frame.

Then you would have a pistol worth two or three times what it currently is. You could sell it and buy a new custom 1911A1, or keep it and have a really great and historical pistol!

12. Malacoda

Malacoda Tele-Meister

Nice! I've got a couple of newer customs that I built myself (Gummit and Commander frames). The most frequent thing I shoot (and it's relative to the post given the era) is my numbers-matching '43 Springfield M-1 Garand.

bang, bang, bang, PING!!! :lol:

13. TwangBilly

I am not aware of any legal issues.
    There are hundreds of thousands of them in private hands now and I've never heard of any issue with legality.

Most of those guys were given the option of taking their sidearms home when they got out of the service.
    My great grandfather was issued a Colt 1911 when he joined the Army Cavalry in 1914. He was stationed in Leon Springs, Texas, achieved the rank of Sgt. and was in charge of training horses for combat, mules for packing gear, and men to take care of and fight from a horse.

When he was discharged after the war he had the option of taking home his sidearm, his Springfield rifle, horse, saddle, basically everything that was assigned to him. He and a friend were going to pack their gear and ride their horses back home to West Virginia, but for some reason changed their minds.
    In his 90's he used to sit and tell me stories, and he always said he regretted not doing it, and taking trains instead.

But it wasn't the guns he regretted not bringing home, he said "that sure was a good horse, and I sure would like to have that saddle". He was a true horseman all of his life, all those years later I could hear the pain in his heart of missing that horse, to him he had lost and betrayed a friend.

I'm getting sidetracked, carry on. :lol:

14. TwangBilly

Ah yes, "the greatest battle implement ever devised"...I love Garands!
    The M1A ain't bad either...

15. TeleKineses

TeleKineses Tele-Meister

I have an 1911 made 1918 for the army. It's a cool gun.

I've also a custom build coming from a famous smith. This one is in 9mm and .38 super

16. Brad Pittiful

thanks for the info and a couple of things to think about!

17. Brad Pittiful

man cool story...i guess my uncle took his home with him

18. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

Man, I hope you find the parts you're looking for, and restore that pistol the way you want. John Browning was the Leo Fender of guns- he made designs that were simple, functional, and oh so freakin cool.

Promise pics when you get it done.

19. goldtopper

goldtopper Friend of Leo's

Your story about your great grandpa totally made my day. Never in a million years could that situation happen in this day and age.
    I raise my Evan Williams in his honor.

20. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Friend of Leo's

My cousin has his father's 1911 hanging on the wall next to my uncle's Bronze Star. We grew up in the same row house. Nobody new my uncle had a gun until he died a few years ago. Nobody knew he was awarded the Bronze Star either.

Good luck with your project. It's tempting to get one but the ammo for my M9A1 is expensive enough these days.

I'll need to take a better look at my cousin's .45 next time I'm there and maybe I can persuade him to join me at the range with it. If it's not rusty it should be good to go, I would think. My uncle was a great guy. It would be a real honor for me to fire his weapon.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.