Lyrics you can't seem to finish

chulaivet1966

Friend of Leo's
I find it difficult to look at lyrics and then try to come up with a tune to fit them. For me, I have to have a tune in my head which suggests the start of the lyrics. Once the idea for the lyrics is established, I start to write/edit the verses, chorus/bridge, and ending. A notebook is great for jotting down these ideas.

I do find it best to try to write quickly - while the mood is set and creativity if flowing. I often just write down something (anything) in my head, then go back later and edit the material to both make sense lyrically and work better with the melody. Then I'll record a demo and see if it sounds as good as I think it does. If not, it remains an unused demo track on my hard drive...
Howdy archtop....

We all have different inherent propensities, skill sets, song writing goals and approaches.
I do hear music in my head so I've written songs where lyrics have come first or the music rattles around in my mind first....one will stimulate the other to completion.

Personally, I've never tried to write 'quickly'.
I have very rarely started a song that I didn't finish to my satisfaction....that takes dedicated time investment.
I enjoy the academic, focused, disciplined writing approach which is to think about the song subject and flesh it out.
No cheesy lyrics, no 'oh-oh-oh-oh-oh's'.
No songs with the word 'baby', no forlorn melodies of maudlin songs about love lost.
There's plenty of famous song writers doing that already. :)

IOW....when a subject, phrase or word stimulates my interest I go there in my mind and imagine all the imagery that would go with that subject.
Then, I start writing it out and, of course, a few lines just may be place holders for the moment.
Having the keeper lyrics will help me replace those place holders as the story progresses.

What doesn't work for me.....is saving countless snippets I've done nothing with because of my unfocused, creative laziness.
To the majority of us, it's likely just not that important as a goal.
But I, in this context, take my song writing challenges more seriously....I just like to write songs.
Even though I have no listening fan base or will ever be famous....that's not my creative motive anyway.

"Song writing is hard"....no doubt about it.

I'll remain a song writing bottom feeder and I'm comfortable there.
I have no audience to foist high expectations on my efforts. :)

I'd always suggest to post up the lyrics you're having problems with and maybe others can offer some suggestions and provide a reason to finish up what you started....just a thought.

But....that's just me and to each there own path.
I wish all well with their song writing efforts.

Carry on....

Last edited:

chulaivet1966

Friend of Leo's
So glad you said that. My usual pen name is Leon Fullerton, but sometimes I sign things Yazoo Chaz or Catfish Brown. You'll like what I've said here about Catfish and catfish:

Howdy Charlie....

Ha...."Brown was a close partner-in-crime of barroom bard "Neon" Leon Fullerton, who dubbed Brown "the music world's most legendary mythical nobody"

I feel like I'm in good company.....having no fan base and all. :)

Back to it....

swarfrat

Tele-Meister
Hey Jude... There was this lady at mom's church who passed away. This is a really conservative church (not high church liturgical stuff, just really conservative). Literally the only request she had made in the way of funeral directions was that she wanted this song played.

So they did. The preacher is a good friend, he said he was up on the platform and he remembered "oh no, the shouting at the end... Maybe it's not as bad as I remembered" He said, " it was."

Wyzsard

Friend of Leo's
Ok, I'm going to finish this 1st draft of one that's been sitting since 2004.

Tentative title is "Rage"
Tell me what additional info is needed. Why the killer was angry is a given. I need to out that in there. What else ? ( I'll tend to the meter) I may try to put a surprise hook in a bridge. IF I can make it strong.

He walked in through the door and he drew a gun
Took a long hard look at everyone
The man he came for wasn't even there
But before he left four men lie dead

And the fire raged on the mountain side that night

The sheriff led a posse into the night
While the killers mother pleaded for her sons life
But the anger was growin ever so strong
What he'd done was oh so wrong

And the fire raged on the mountain side that night
The killers home was set afire

Near daylight they came ridin back into town