Lyrics, Songbook, Set List App

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by burntfrijoles, May 12, 2021.

1. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

While I don't gig, I have been searching for an App that would catalog songs, scroll lyrics, and chords. I watched a bunch of YouTube videos but they weren't that helpful until I found "Songbook Pro". Onsong looked nice but it was $35. Songbook Pro was $5.
    When I play songs (with backing tracks) I frequent need a cheat sheet for lyrics and occasionally for chords. I don't deal with paper any longer so I usually check the internet. The problem with displaying a webpage is that the print is too small and it doesn't scroll.
    Songbook Pro has a free trial and you can store up to 12 tunes before you have to purchase the app to add more. After a trial run of two songs, I was sold.
    The songs were easy to add. I copied and pasted from a popular website for one song. I manually added the other song just to learn the function for properly displaying the chords.
    It also has a set list function for which I have no need but it's obvious important if you perform.
    I tried out the scroll function and it worked great. After a test run I adjusted the font size of the lyrics and size and color of the chords.
    In summary, this does everything I need.

PS: There are several apps that have Songbook in their name.

2. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

sweet tip thanks

3. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Friend of Leo's

If all you are doing is playing to backing tracks, just use one of the karaoke apps. That’s basically all karaoke is...scrolling lyrics and a backing track.

4. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

Onsong...iPad or iPhone only. You can put wave files on it and it will play your backing tracks while it scrolls lyrics.

5. burntfrijoles

I create my own backing tracks. Bass, guitars, occasionally keyboard, drums and backing vocals.

6. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Friend of Leo's

That’s even better! Just load your audio and lyrics instead of purchasing the additional songs. The app will play your song and scroll the lyrics/chords in time with the song.

7. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

I’m a fan of OnSong. I’ve been using it for years. Sure it costs a few dollars but almost anything cheap or free is just that.
    YMMV

ce24 likes this.
  8. Frontier9

Frontier9 Friend of Leo's

Hey, that looks great - I like the idea of being able to write and draw on overlays. Good for my ersatz Nashville Number System scribbles... Thanks for the tip, burnt!
    Songbook Pro link here.

9. burntfrijoles

Songbook Pro is going to work for me. It may not be expensive but it seems to be very well done, updated regularly and has an excellent rating in the App Store. It appeared to me that Onsong is a subscription app.

10. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

Subscription is the way of the world, unfortunately

11. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Unfortunately SOngbook Pro is only Win 10. Previous, like Win 7will not work according to them.

12. GibbyTwin

GibbyTwin Tele-Holic

somewhere between Asbury Park and Atlantic City
    I use Lyric Pad. It works fine for me and has scrolling if you need that. I think it cost $5 when I downloaded it a few years ago.
    Don't know if it is still available.

13. burntfrijoles

I’m a Mac guy so I don’t know much about Windows. I thought 7 was no longer supported.

14. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

I think its subscription for onsong with all the add ons…..i just have the proversion and it is not subscrition……but ive had it so long i may be grandfathered….i think i paid 30$ many years ago.

https://onsongapp.zendesk.com/hc/en...nd-OnSong-Pro-and-different-membership-tiers-

I should add that it does everything i need with the nonsubscription version….been using it with a band with 3 ipads connected works great.

Last edited: May 15, 2021
  15. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

@burntfrijoles
    Thx for the tip on songbook pro.
    Looks like it will do the trick.
    I was using TrustyBook but the developer has failed to upgrade the app to work with the latest upgrade, so I lost my lyric library.

16. burntfrijoles

You’re welcome.

I like it a lot. It’s simple and it works!

17. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Thanks, I'll keep it in mind if I ever need it, or to pass on the recommendation to someone else.

I do gig, both a volunteer thing at a retirement center for a 90-minute gig on Thursdays, and about every 4-6 weeks or so at a nearby marina (3 hour gig, there). In either case, I do the whole thing from memory, and that's worked for me thus far. I have well over 200 songs memorized, so doing a whole gig from memory is no problem. The last time I even used a set list was when I was in a duo, and that was 8 years ago.

There have been exceptions. Sometimes I need to shake the rust off of some songs that I haven't done in a long time. So every now and again, I'll cycle through my performance repertoire list (a Word document on my laptop) and rehearse/refresh my memory before gig time.

Also, adding a new song to my performance repertoire can sometimes mean I need a prompt for lyrics, but just a prompt. I don't perform a song reading every line. The few times that I've needed such a prompt, I just have the lyrics in a note on my phone, and I'll look it over just before performing it.

18. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Sooooo, when Windows 11 rolls out soon, it will not work again? :D

(And yes - Windows 11 is coming...)

schmee likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.