Lynyrd Skynyrd Plane Crash - 40 Years Ago This Evening

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by tonytrout, Oct 20, 2017.

1. tonytrout

tonytrout Friend of Leo's

Like Elvis being gone forty years, it's hard for me to fathom that RVZ, Steve & Cassie Gaines, road manager, Dean Kilpatrick & pilot and co-pilot, Walter McCreary & William Gray were all lost 40 years ago this evening in Gillsburg, MS. Ronnie, depending on who you believe or talk to, was fighting Gene Odom as Odom tried to buckle him in before the crash (either that, or Gene left him asleep on the floor of the plane).

Ronnie fulfilled his own self-prophecy of not living to see 30 and was on the road touring - The Tour Of The Survivors - when the plane crash happened.

(I've always thought that was a pretty chilling thing to tell your father, "Daddy, I'll never live to see thirty!")

As the years have passed, we have also lost:

Allen Collins
    Leon Wilkeson
    Ean Evans
    Billy Powell

That band has, IMO, endured the most tragedy that any one band would have to endure. Yet, even as a self-proclaimed tribute band, they're still out there night after night.

May all who were lost rest peacefully.....

2. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

I was just watching the Lynyrd Skynyrd Behind The Music documentary (for the 3rd or 4th time) yesterday. What a tragedy.
    I wish they never got on that plane; the pilot said that there was trouble with one of the engines and they took off anyway. It united the survivors initially and then divided them. :(

Here's a great live version, about three months before the crash.

Rest in peace.

tonytrout and drlizardo like this.
  3. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire

.......... :(

4. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Steve Gaines !

I think one of two things would have happened if they all lived :

- Steve would have stayed for awhile and then split to do his own thing

or

- He would have taken over the band or at the very least ended up as co-leader with Ronnie.

Dude was massively talented.

We all know how fluid and seamless a guitar player he was but he was arguably as a good a singer as Ronnie .

Hell - I wish they were all still here - especially Allen Collins.

He was like a scrappy dog wagging his tail and then just ripping on the Explorer.

tonytrout, Bruxist and FenderGyrl like this.
  5. Doghouse_Riley

Doghouse_Riley Tele-Afflicted

Ronnie Van Zandt was my idol 40 years ago. I was a sophomore in high school and I wanted to grow up to be a rock singer. I remember when I heard the announcement. Over the radio the next morning. I was on the school bus. They played Freebird (of course). I lived in the mountains and it was an 90 minute bus ride to school. That was one quiet bus that day.

6. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

90 minutes each way on a school bus! How did you do it?

7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Meanwhile, in New Orleans and other such places, recreational canoeing as a form of outdoor pursuit had really caught on in a big way. There's small rivers that flow all around in this part of Mississippi just North of the "Florida Parishes" of Louisiana and we were exploring them all and taking day trips up there with the young ladies and skinny dipping and all that stuff - the Tangipahoa River, the Amite River (both branches), the Tickfaw, the Bogue Chitto.

Then the Skynyrd aircraft went down right smack in the middle of all that, and it cast a sort of pall over the whole area. People really curtailed their canoeing and so forth in that area - it was like the area became haunted or something.

I think about this even just about every time I traverse the area going N-S on Interstate 55.

985plowboy likes this.
  8. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

Skynyrd catches a lot of crap for the redneck cachet that accompanies the band and its music, particularly Freebird. Despite that, there is no argument that the band was quite talented and quite prolific in its era with RVZ as lead singer. LS still sells a lot of units and merchandise based on the music of the RVZ era, and is a big time band and business in the conspectus of rock music and the music industry.

Like others, I can live without the stuff from the post RVZ era.

FenderGyrl likes this.
  9. Doghouse_Riley

Doghouse_Riley Tele-Afflicted

Slept a lot. Tortured each other. And as soon as I got a motorcycle I said bye bye to the bus.:cool:

(At least when the sun was out. Otherwise drove in friends cars.)

8barlouie likes this.
  10. Zipslack

Zipslack Tele-Meister

About 20 miles down the road from where I live. I was too young back then and didn't even know who Skynyrd was.

11. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

So very sad. Unlike some of my playing friends I was a big fan of the group. I loved their music. It had so much energy and life. It is a sad thing to remember.

Dan R likes this.
  12. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

Love Skynyrd. Was amused when Cronkite pronounced the name wrong.

So sad for the victims of the crash. A tragic day.

13. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

Ronnie was the best. :cry:

14. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Friend of Leo's

Damn,
    Now I know why I felt "Off" all day today after seeing the date on my phone at work. :(

Hammerdog and Bruxist like this.
  15. BigD

BigD Friend of Leo's

My first concert was Lynyrd Skynyrd in 1976 at The Liberty Bowl Stadium in Memphis Tennessee. I was 15 and we traveled from Little Rock in a 1972 Pontiac Grand Prix with 2 tickets and there was 4 of us so we bought tickets from scalpers for $12 each. It was Blue Oyster Cult, The Outlaws, Lynyrd Skynyrd and ZZ Top. This was the 4th of July Bicentennial Jam/ ZZ Top Wide World Tour. I’ll never forget it. I can see and here it now. Skynyrd owned that show and ZZ knew it but they were great too but Skynyrd was hot like nobody’s business back in those days.

FenderGyrl and 6stringcowboy like this.
  16. BigD

BigD Friend of Leo's

Steve Gains was a monster for sure you can here that Strat tone heavy in That Smell.

17. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I still won't get in an airplane.

18. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

I saw them back in 1990 on the first reunion tour and remember thinking it was sad to not have Steve and Ronnie, but now it is amazing to think of all the people who were there that are now gone.

(Allen Collins was there but in a wheelchair. He could not play but came out and talked about drunk driving as part of his legal arrangement)

I love Skynyrd. Steve Gaines especially.

But I think Billy Powell might have been the one that made them stand out.

19. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

I think Ronnie's younger brother, Johnny, does a very good job "filling-in" for his late brother. It's too bad Artimus Pyle isn't drumming in this concert.

20. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

Check this video out about the aftermath of the plane crash, and all of the fighting between band members that has continued throughout the years:

It seems like the interviewer helps to keep the wedges between the surviving members and family?

Tootle and tonytrout like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.