1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Luthiers around Pittsburgh PA

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by WrayGun, Dec 1, 2008.

1. WrayGun

WrayGun Friend of Leo's

I am looking for recommendations for a great luthier/repair person in or around Pittsburgh, Penn.

I have a 50+ year old Gretsch that needs a new nut and new frets... the frets have all but disappeared; I think they are original.

Anyway, I love this guitar and I don't want it to get screwed up... it actually plays great the way it is, but won't stay in tune, due to the nut, or intonate very well, due to the frets.

Thanks for any recommendations! :cool:

Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  2. ProToneThinline

ProToneThinline Tele-Holic

I'd contact Pittsburgh Guitars on the Southside. Their guy is pretty good.

3. 6bender

6bender Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I was in the Monroeville GC a couple months ago and while talking with the sales guy, who strangely seemed genuinely knowledgeable and enthusiastic about guitars, mentioned a luthier in the area who he claimed did outstanding work and gave me his card. I'm at work so I don't have his name handy but I recall they had the business cards in the store.

4. beach bob

beach bob Friend of Leo's

I am sure Acoustic Music Works could do the work on your old Gretsch... yeah it's an acoustic shop, but they definitely have know-how there. One of the largest / most knowledgeable acoustic dealers in the country ...

Acoustic Music Works link

5. doster

doster Tele-Afflicted

PM sent

6. shades

shades Tele-Afflicted

PM sent.

:cool:

7. serialsteve

serialsteve Tele-Holic

If you want it done right, I'd recommend Greg Platzer at BCR Music in Lemoyne, PA. It's a good 3+ hours away from you, but Greg does work for many of the big national acts (in fact, I just got the new Supersuckers album day before yesterday and Rontrose thanks Greg in his liner notes).

He's worked miracles on broken/splintered/powdered headstocks and refrets the guitars of the big famous guys.

I just picked up my '65 Jazzmaster from him yesterday and it's amazing.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.