Luthier recommendation for making a 51 bass neck for my project

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by broadcasterguy, Oct 29, 2018.

1. broadcasterguy

broadcasterguy TDPRI Member

Does anybody have a recommendation for a Luthier that can make a really accurate 51 Fender Bass neck?

2. BobbyMac

BobbyMac Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

I would think these all deserve a look (i.e. USACG, Musikraft, Warmoth, AllParts, etc), and some of them can get pretty close to what you are looking for.

However, as to a specific one-man-shop-type luthier who does 51-style P-bass necks to order, can't help you there.

Warmoth's P-bass necks all have rounded heels, though they might take a special order for a straight cut, but I don't know about that.

I honestly think AllParts does the best job of replicating the original vintage specs, including some of the nuances you might be looking for, such as proper shaping of the back of the neck, both at the heel and on the back of the headstock behind the nut. AllParts uses the exact shape of Fender's bass guitar headstocks (under license, of course), and are available finished or unfinished at the usual internet auction sites.

3. ezra1

ezra1 TDPRI Member

A guy built me one and he used a USACG that had the block cut.

mgreene likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.