Luthier for a high quality fret job

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by stantheman, Mar 27, 2020.

1. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

The best Luthier/Tech I ever knew Jim Mouradian left us last year.
    I am desperate and am looking for a Tech with a few iotas of Jimmy’s talent.
    I recently acquired (yesterday/Thursday 3/26/2020) a drop dead gorgeous rendition of a ‘53/‘54 Esquire Blackguard. But there’s a problem - it has fretwork from Hell, Hades, The Underworld - I love this Guitar but because of The Funky Pandemic no Luthier will even let Me bring it in for an appraisal. I really don’t want to return this but I’m into it for $1300.

I would appreciate the name of anyone who has a Samurai dedication to the craft.

It’s an AllParts maple Neck fretboard with either medium or jumbo frets that “Uncle Joe” probably took a Dremel to.

Cosmetically this looks every bit as cool as Mark Lovett’s 1953 Esquire
    on YouTube.

Ideas will be greatly appreciated and wise acres will be beaten about the buttocks with contagious enthusiasm.

2. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

So... you are looking for someone to refret an AllParts neck on a partscaster? Got it.

What is your location, btw? That might help people make good referrals.

3. Informal

Informal Tele-Afflicted

You could buy a finished Allparts neck for less than a high quality refret.

JuneauMike and rangercaster like this.
  4. horseman308

horseman308 Tele-Holic

Probably the best in the business is Joe Glazier in Nashville. Hard to say how.long you'll wait, though right now may not be a bad time. He's usually super backed up, cause he's the go-to guy for all the Nashville session players and guitar stars (his specialty is vintage instruments).

If you're really attached to the guitar and willing to spend the money, he's your guy. But, honestly, it'll cost more than a new neck - by a fair percentage.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

5. JuneauMike

Its great that you are geeked up about a new guitar. I love getting new gear as well. But I think you are seeking out a Cadillac solution to a Chevy problem. I think any competent luthier who is experienced in fretting stringed instruments (guitars in particular) could help you here.

It's been suggested that you just buy a new neck. Maybe that's a cheap and good solution, but I totally get how someone can get attached to the feel of a particular neck. Although, I strongly suspect that an AllParts soft V feels exactly like another AllParts soft V.

Food for thought.

6. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

O.K. Hi, I’m in The White Mountains of New Hampshire.
    I suggest to people all the time if it’s gotta be maple get a Squire Vintage Modified Thinline 70’s Neck because they punch way over their weight. They really do too.

The dilemma is that the relic work is some of the best I’ve seen...ever. It’s the fretwork I can’t figure. We all know who the great relic guys are/were. I know Nate doesn’t hire himself out but I’m thinking this is one of his, the gentleman has told me he’s had it for 10 years thereabouts.
    I’m gonna contact Nate and Mark Jenny just for ships and wiggles.
    Thanks Men,
    -stan

7. JuneauMike

Yes but you are just looking for a refret. That won't affect the relic'ing unless you specifically ask for it. Like, "hey, after you pull the frets can you do something about the divots on the fingerboard?"

This is just a straight up refret, right? Any competent luthier ought to be able to do that, really. No need to ship it to Nashville or South Africa, or wherever.

8. Treadplatedual

Treadplatedual Tele-Holic

Spit balling here, but is it possible that a fret level/crown/polish would fix the issues without a full refret?

boredguy6060 and JuneauMike like this.
  9. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Holic

I suppose we'd need photos to check it out, but if it's as bad as OP says, could be an issue of there not being enough meat left on some frets to be worth knocking them all down to match.

10. JuneauMike

Yep, good call. Some good clear pics might help folks here.

Treadplatedual likes this.
  11. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Poster Extraordinaire

What is wrong with the frets? Just your assessment is fine.
    You never really said what you felt was wrong with the frets.

12. JuneauMike

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.