Luthier Damaged My Guitars =(

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by DADGAD, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Cgci

Cgci TDPRI Member

Those pictures are crazy. **** happens, but....
    no question I’d be fixing it, no charge etc etc.
    The Tele discolouration is pretty wild! I’ve never seen anything quite like that.

You should have no problem finding a qualified Luthier to fix those mistakes. They’re super simple repairs.
    The good news is they aren’t detrimental to playability!

The only unfortunate part is that you’ll have to pay for it.... again...

2. spook69

spook69 Tele-Holic

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  3. gooman

gooman TDPRI Member

i would say that repair guy is a lumberjack my friend back in the late 70s took a like new L5s to vic zins in the indy area he wanted a post type tail piece installed when he got it back it had mule hoof dents on the top(hammer slipped) his eyes were glowing red thought he was going to strangle the guy sad it was a great guitar he bought new at zimmermans sometimes its best to try to do stuff yourself lots of smart folks in this forum for help and advise

4. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

I wonder if the regular guy was too busy or sick, or whatever and he had someone else do it?

Also, I had my '76 Tele refretted in '93 by (supposedly) one of the best in the Twin Cities. I kept calling him to see if it was finished and he kept putting me off. His shop was in a basement of a warehouse and it looked looked he was living there, too. I began to wonder if I was ever going to see my guitar again.

I desperately needed the guitar for gigs (my backup, a Strat, really wasn't cutting it), so I went down and walked in, paid him, and took it home to find out that he never dressed or crowned the new frets.

Surprisingly, it was playable, so I used it that way for about 3 years and finally bought tools, read up on repairs, and crowned them myself. They came out fine.

Yeah, doing your own work can save $$$, time...

and, maybe your guitar.

5. BlueTele

BlueTele TDPRI Member

I don't know if we are supposed to use names, but while I have not bought a guitar from him, nor had any work done, I am very impressed with the work I have seen done, and interviews of, Joe Riggio of Riggio guitars in the Seattle, WA area. There are a couple guys - small builders of masterful Tele's, and some Strat styles - and I'd say of the three that I am thinking of, the pictures of Riggio's "relic'ing/aging process is THE most realistic of the three. It is spectacular in fact. I'd send him an e-mail with your pictures and have him provide advice. Most builders worked for years - and they still do - by doing repairs and restorations. Riggio's story describes a boatload of that experience, and that he starting building his own guitars a few years back. When I have the $$$ I am going to buy one of his guitars some day.

6. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Holic

Prime example of the over-use and mis-use of the term Luthier.

Every time I see the word Luthier on this site and other sites I gag because most people have never taken their guitar to a Luthier or even know where to find one.

This person was obviously a complete hack and shouldn't even be doing the work for pay. Many shops have experienced amateurs and some have good technicians. Being a good technician that can do basic setup, electronic, or repair work does not make you a luthier.

Get it repaired properly by finding someone in town that does good work and has a good reputation.
    Second, only let your 'new guy' work on one guitar. If he proves himself, take the second guitar...otherwise keep searching.

BTW, with some research, common sense and a few tools person can do most guitar work themselves.

7. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Afflicted

Why wouldn't you name him publicly? I can understand why you wouldn't bother with small claims court when you chance of actually getting the repair paid for is minimal (even if you won), but it seems like he thoroughly deserves to have his name associated with those pictures of his work. TDPRI shows up pretty prominently in web searches, I think you would be doing the right thing for unsuspecting potential customers if when they googled his name it took them to this thread...

MickM likes this.
  8. tessting1two

tessting1two Tele-Meister

Some of the country's best luthiers and guitar techs are in SoCal so there's no reason to ship anything.

As others have said, sending the LP back to Gibson would be an exercise in futility. Gibson is in the business of making guitars. Repair is a different matter since their primary concern is warranty repairs for manufacture defects. So they have elaborate systems in place to cover these warranty repairs which doesn't leave much room for non-warranty work. That makes those repairs slow and costly. And not to sound disparaging, but a "Gibson quality finish" is usually not a compliment.

I do hope you put some sort of review (Yelp or otherwise) online, if only to save someone else from a similar experience. If you do please put the link here.

9. stepvan

stepvan Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Man I feel for you. I would not only get an estimate from a real Luthier to fix it but would hit him with a lawsuit. To pass this off to you and him expecting you would be idk to stupid or something to catch this really would piss me off to no end. Use the law to get the repair paid and something for your elevated blood pressure. Also bad press is the way to go with this guy. He needs to be stopped.

10. marc2211

marc2211 Tele-Holic

@DADGAD I am so sorry to see the damage done to your guitars - you are a better man than me to be able to move on and take the hit. The person is clearly not qualified to be working on instruments, it's not just a 'slight issue', it's shameful. Twice. I am gutted for you. :(

I have a local store near me who have an excellent luthier that I take all my guitars to, each time I wince when I get the bill (Swiss prices are crazy, and it's even high for here), but up to now he's always done immaculate jobs - I'm too nervous to take my guitars anywhere else when I see what some 'professionals' do.

I really hope you get things sorted, and can at least get some recompense. Huge respect to you for considering selling your guitars to replace your sons LP (I'm a parent too!), there's a lot of people who wouldn't consider this.

DADGAD likes this.
  11. Brucesu

Brucesu Tele-Meister

Wow, I feel you man. I took my guitar to another tech who has a good reputation, and he made my guitar worse. I ended up selling that guitar because it was so terrible. He even scratched up the back of my guitar.

Amateurs! All talk and all those years of experience have taught them nothing.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.