"lunchbox" amp options

guitarmikey

Tele-Afflicted
Micro Terror or Vox MV50AC.
If you really want 6V6 you might want to check Super Champ X2 or Marshall 4001 Studio 15 as well (not quite "lunchbox" but great sounding amps!)

northernguitar

Poster Extraordinaire
Avoid Vox Night Train 15w. Too many stories, like mine, of intermittent problems or complete failure.
Ugh. It's one of my favourite sounding amps, but yes, mine was on the bench a couple times. I'm not sure how hard you push yours, but I was using mine for two band projects and gigging. And for practice, I had it patched into a Bad Cat Unleash, so it was always run at sweet spot-which is loud.

ChicknPickn

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Ugh. It's one of my favourite sounding amps, but yes, mine was on the bench a couple times. I'm not sure how hard you push yours, but I was using mine for two band projects and gigging. And for practice, I had it patched into a Bad Cat Unleash, so it was always run at sweet spot-which is loud.

Part of my disappointment was that I never pushed the Night Train hard, and it still had tube issues. It was pretty much pampered. Currently, it sits in its carrying case with a dead preamp section. Am awaiting delivery of a Peavey Classic 20 Micro Head. I might have a tech look at the Vox. When you look at the rather short production life of the Night Train, you have to wonder whether this was just a trouble-prone design.

GreatDaneRock

Tele-Afflicted
Any of the Peavey micro head amps. My Classic 20mh is my main home/ rehearsal amp. They're choked full og options in the back (like 5w and 1w settings, DI cab sim output, headphones out, fx loop, USB port, etc).

Attachments

• IMG_20190731_174252080.jpg
    IMG_20190731_174252080.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 5

Marc Morfei

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I'll put in a plug for the Peavey Classic 20 head. It's small, light, real tube, power scales down to 5w and 1w, all kinds of modern features on the back, as post above states. Both channels sound really good. Very hard to find a used one.

The Bassbreaker head was listed in the OP. I had that once, it was good, but ungodly heavy. You could not call it a "lunchbox" head.